Ever love a pedal til you used it live? Vise Versa?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, Feb 7, 2008.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Have you ever loved a pedal til you used it in a live context, then found you didn't like it much?

Or the other way around where you didn't think much of it til you played it live?

Any idea what made the difference, if so?

2. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Yeah, pretty much most compressors and reverb pedals.

3. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

The CB let me down live

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

I don't like tube screamers as much in the bedroom. much better live.

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Just about every fuzz I own fits the first category. Something about fuzz in a band context just does not do it for me, but SO much fun at home!

As far as the other way around, the COT50 comes to mind first. Not that great at low volumes, but pushing an amp already on the verge, plus the added "cut" factor just WORKS live.

6. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1.

EVERY fuzz pedal I've bought has come off my board right after we play a live show. With my band, when i stomp the fuzz on it just kind of gets lost in the mix no matter how loud i've got it set.

that said - I have a cusack screamer fuzz on the way that allows you to blend both OD & fuzz. we'll see....

7. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

agree'd, the FD2 is killer live, but hard to control at home..

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

with the tubescreamer, it's not hard to control, it's the opposite. I like it when it gets a little out of control, which just doesn't happen unless the amp is cranked. I like it when it starts to feedback a little as I slide up the frets on the high e, searing and soaring. If I did that without a live setting, it would be loud and obnoxious.

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I know it's heresy, but my Skreddy Mayo. I play with 2 other guitarists and a bassist that likes fuzz. It never had a chance. No matter what I did with the mids, I would disappear when I kicked it on. It just couldn't sit in the mix for my band. The second it was loud enough to be heard, it was because I had eclipsed everyone else and was drowning them out.

Ironically, my Skreddy Screw Driver was the opposite. I liked it it fine at home, but it didn't become a key part of MY tone until I tried it with the band.

10. staplek

staplek Member

oh yes. thats what happened to me with the fuzz factory. i LOVE the pedal and record wit hit all the time but it doesnt integrate well into my life setup. too trebly and a bit uncontrollable (which is kinda what i like about it). i just settled for a tamer fuzz for live application.

11. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

When I go live the bedroom settings almost always sound fuzzy. The first thing I do is turn down the gain.

I've also found that the Crunchbox is phenomonal for recording at bedroom levels but turns to mushy fuzz live.

John

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

Janglelbox was cool at home. Couldn't get it tweaked at gigs.

13. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

My fulldrive sounded more gainey by myself at home... probably because the other electric guitar guy I played with had a high gain sound. I suppose it is important to blend overdrives well. In all reality, the other guitar probably needed to melow out a bit.

If there's one thing that will screw with big, ballsey vintage tone... it's another guitarist with a scooped high-gain fetish.

14. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Sunlion
    Sunface into Beano :AOK It cuts great live...

The best of the best!! IMNSHO ( in my not so humble opinion )

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

My BJFe DRD was good at home - but when I tried it at its first gig, it was like "Oh oh, its magic, you knowwww"....

16. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Anything,Big muff. +1 on the Mayo. The only one that came close was the Hoof by Earthquaker devices. The best sounding one but it didn't gel with my other pedals. I will buy one again though. It's the only big muff type pedal I totally dug.

As far as other pedals, I would say the Nebula, Tap-A-whirl, DD-20, and the Box of Rock (Distortion side, not the boost). All of them are great pedals and I've heard great sounds from them in other rigs, but for me it "lacked" something. Didn't inspire me. All amazing pedals though.

17. josegundo

josegundo Member

1. Big Muff
    2. Big Muff
    3. Big Muff

18. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Good for recording but not for live: Boss Turbo OD. Not enough volume boost for solos, but some good tones for overdubs.

DOD FX50 - sounds trashy at low levels but shines when cranked live through a clean SS amp and even better through an overdriven tube amp.

19. dalandan

dalandan Member

I can attest to the ff that sounds good in a band context with single coils or humbuckers:

modified 808 and FD2 - great low to medium gain in a band, lets your guitar's natural sound come out

distortion+ - makes things fat with distortion low and level high, adds some bottome end

keeley BD2 - very bright with tone at 12 o'clock, great for live since it adds treble and bass that evens out the mids. best used with low gain IMO. NOT transparent, just no noticeable mid hump. more of a bass and treble booster.

Muff with Tone Wicker - the tone off and wicker on lets it cut like no one's business! Best for high gain applications even with sustain below 9 o'clock

You Dirty Rat - Too much gain will kill you but the sustain and tone is great. It doesn't need a lot of volume nor a tube amp to sound good.

Boss Digital Metalizer - sounds good for a weird boss pedal. Can be used live and at home

Metal Muff with Top Boost - not my cup of tea but has a chunky rhythm sound and an overwhelming boost for solos

Toadworks Death Rattle - I only liked the boost for live. Too much gain on the plexi channel and not the gain I like on the Tweed. The OD section didn't cut very well with the rig but the boost was a good mid punch.

20. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I can never truely gage a pedal until I try it live.
    It's like programing your multiple delay unit at your House and then trying it Live and realizing You need to reprogram it all.

The greatest examples seem to be Fuzz and comp.
    When I try Fuzz at home it seems in unity with my other ODs, but take it out and I'm forever turning it up just to cut through.

Had a Diamond comp, and at home I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but Live it did nothing for me.

That's why I think Guys are either Fuzz and comp Guys, or not at all.