Ever Made a Custom Amp Riser?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TRGuy, Mar 1, 2015.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Interested if anyone has, how they went about it and what the finished thing looks like.

I'm thinking of making an amp riser to life my amp up 20cm, shouldn't be a problem but I want it to looks professional, so any tips would be good!

I was thinking of doing it in MDF or something, painting the bottom black but covering the top in carpet for a bit of extra vibration absorption.

2. ylo

ylo Member

How are your woodworking skills? I would recommend you consider better quality material than MDF. I use it a lot, but it is basically glorified cardboard, and does not hold up well when tasked with bearing weight or abrasion. Plywood or even pine would hold up better, IMHO.

If you use hardwood, sand, seal, stain and varnish could look great. Or, Tolex covering over lesser woods.

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Does it count if you use 2 bar stools?

4. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I got a scaffold platform with folding legs from the home improvement store. It's 40" x 12" x 20" high. Made of aluminum, so it's light and strong. I think it was around $40.00. Put a black cloth on it and you'll hardly see it.

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

No stands for my amps but have built stands for my home theatre subwoofer and front towers.

The towers are made of two layers of 3/4" MDF with a 3/4" pine stained and bookmatched top. I also built the border out of 3/4" stained pine. Those are meant to look good and to provide a thick base for the speakers. I could have added another layer of 3/4 MDF to add more weight but I didn't think I had much to gain by doing that.

The subwoofer uses two layers of 3/4" MDF and the legs are made of two layers of 3/4" MDF that are 3" tall and long enough to make the gaps between legs only a few inches long. I used heavy duty speaker carpet for that base. It is heavy!

If you have a table saw or a hand saw you can make any kind of base you need. It is all straight like cuts, they just take time and patience. Nice weekend project (make that two if you are staining the wood).