Ever mod your guitar only to dislike it later?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Jun 4, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

Have any of you ever had this unfortunate revelation that after spending huge chunks on tone-enhancing hardware and boutique pickups + electronics you found out later that you prefer the sound of your guitar when it's stock?

2. ecvMatt

ecvMatt Member

Yes, My squier Strat, MIJ "A" series I tried a lot of pickups, spent too much money, ended upgoing with the originals.

3. Schlep

Schlep Member

Modded my main gigging guitar (when I was playing out every weekend) - a 1982 maple cap sunburst Ibanez Destroyer with a (guld) Kahler trem. I'd still have that guitar if I didn't add the trem. I was once young and stupid. . .

Craig

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I had an early 80's MIJ Squier Strat that I loved and decided to route for a Kahler and a humbucker. It was only good for paddling a canoe with afterward.

Jim

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I did it to an amp . . . a 65 Bassman: turned it into an AA864 thing then realized that I like the AB165 far better . . . cleaner and clearer with just the right amount of crunch when you want it, and lo it hath that Fender Chime . . .So, I returned it to stock.

With my Gits the way I solve that problem is to just keeop going and mod away till you get it right.

6. phantasm

phantasm Member

I'd post a picture of "Bad Coconuts" if i knew how to post pictures here. There's no way that person could have liked that mod more than the original.

7. acwild

acwild Member

I tried to scallop a neck with a rat tail file. It's now used as evidence that I'm not qualified to do such work.:nono

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

It was the 80's. I added Floyds to my really cool ESP Series 400 strats. I replaced the necks with ESP Charvel style pointy headstocks. I still have the strats but I don't play them anymore.

I wish I never did either!

9. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I gave up modding guitars a long time ago. If your guitar needs a major mod, you've got the wrong guitar, IMO. I can see some people enjoying it as a hobby. Not me.

A

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I've overdone two. The first was a '66 Fender Music Master II. I did all manner of dastardly things to that guitar. Someday it will be whole again.

The second was a '88 Am Std Strat in torino red. That one got Sperzel locking tuners, Wilkinson roller nut, black pearl pick guard, Gold Lace Sensors in neck and mid and a Blue Lace Sensor in the bridge.

By the time I was done I realized the guitar was no longer "me." It hung around a few years hiding in its case until it finally found a new owner.

I will say this, a couple days after a string change that Strat would NOT go out of tune.

11. 66Park

66Park Member

I guess I was even stupider, as I ruined two guitars by putting Kahlers on them! I must have had tin ears in the eighties.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  12. fishlog

fishlog Member

Wow some real butchers out there!!!

The only thing I did and I am just to lazy to undo the Mod is the Blender wiring for a Strat (the mod that lets you mix in all 3 PUps or just use the Neck and bridge) Problem is I can never remember which is which I always have to tap the PUps to see which ones are on. Plus I am a simple guy, it just gives me way to many choices and I seem to only ever play with the Neck and middle PUps anyway.

So in the end its very undo-able I'm just to lazy, one of these nights I'll get to it (I've been saying that for a year now)

13. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I recently put in a bridge hum into my tele, only to discover what I allready know - I don't like humbuckers. Damn.

14. rickboot

rickboot Member

I put EMGs in my Edwards recently since I wanted to see what the fuss was about, especially for metal. Not impressed.

15. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I don't mod guitars any more. I just buy great guitars now that are perfect as purchased.

I do have a collection of parts guitars that are the result of my wayward modding efforts and those get interchanged periodically for fun but, with the awesome guitars available nowadays, I have no need or desire to mod anything.

16. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

It's the non-reversible mods that make me cry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Took the original pickups out of my '74 LP and gave them away. Put the newest thing in it. HOT Dimarzios, when they first came out . I thought it smoked. I later realized that it sounded like $hit. I wish I had the original pick ups back!!!!!!!

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I modded my AVRI '57 Strat so many times since 1989, only to put it back to it's original state last year and realize how great it really was. :dude

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I like modding guitars as a hobby, but on the real players I like it to be right, or dang close, from the git go. I have modded guitars in a total circle right back around to stock!

20. CAJUN

CAJUN Member

I use to do mods, but since I got older and wiser I don't. Except for pickups occasionally..