Ever played a Carvin V220? Ibanez DT-50?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Custom50, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I have the opportunity to get a white one from the late 80's era. 6 on a side headstock. Should be able to get it for around 300 bucks. Am I crazy not to get it? What's the scoop on em, never played a carvin but hear good things. It looks like a metal guitar and that's probably how i'll use it.

The other contender is a 1981 Ibanez Destroyer II DT-50 for about the same price. This one I played unplugged and it's the tits. Decisions decisions.

Any advice?

2. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

Oh man, for $300 go for the Carvin, assuming it's in decent shape. If you can't hang with the Kahler (which I assume it has) you can replce it with a Kahler fixed,they are awesome. I have an '87 Ultra V and it plays and sounds like a way way more modern guitar.

3. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I had a 220 not too long ago. Nice guitar but f the Kalher (assume it has it) wasn't cared for it's not cheap to fix. My biggest gripe with it was the weight. It was a beast and came in around 10+lbs

4. riefil

riefil Member

I'm with sam, the weight was well er weighty. I too had a mid 80's white, six on a side, black hardware, kahler equipped V220T when I was in my metal phase. It was a bit on the brite side due to it being all maple body. The one thing that I loved was the action was ridiculously low. I thought the Kahler work very well.

Here's what mine looked like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

it's actually a floyd not a kahler.. I think I may try and get it, thanks all!

6. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Ah, just got word it's a boat anchor. Not the guitar for me. Aw well, always more axes out there!

7. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I'd get the destroyer!

8. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I may just if I can do a bit of haggling

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015