Ever realize you’re just…done?

So I’m poking around TGP and came across an ad for a sunburst Strat at a pretty good price. I got excited then realized…I don’t need it.

I have a main guitar, and a suitable backup for gigs. I’m satisfied with my modeling solution. Satisfied with my monitoring choice.

So, as excited as I got for a few minutes, I sighed and moved on.

Let me guess - that means my TGP card is going to be revoked, right?!?

So I’m poking around TGP and came across an ad for a sunburst Strat at a pretty good price. I got excited then realized…I don’t need it.

I have a main guitar, and a suitable backup for gigs. I’m satisfied with my modeling solution. Satisfied with my monitoring choice.

So, as excited as I got for a few minutes, I sighed and moved on.

Let me guess - that means my TGP card is going to be revoked, right?!?
These moments of being sensible, and appreciating what you already have, can come and go

Stumbling onto this thread is timely, because now that I built my small "all the food groups" amp collection to what I needed errrr wanted, I'm back to targeting guitars.
Realistically I should be "done"..For acoustics, I have a gorgeous Taylor acoustic, a beater acoustic, a 12 string, and a nylon string. For electrics, I have the classic trio of a Les Paul, Tele, and Strat+ cheaper versions of the Les Paul and Strat (Epi and Aria Pro), but because my Tele is a semi hollow body with the F-holes (not a thinline), I want my traditional Tele in butterscotch..I also ( dear Santa) eventually want to acquire an Explorer, V,SG, LP Junior and 335...*Sigh* We're never done are we?

Congratulations to those that are done! Unfortunately (or fortunately??) for me I have plenty of G.A.S. in the tank.

Every NAMM I’m finding something new that I want in addition to watching YouTube demos and time on Reverb.

Gear upheaval - getting stuff that fits you better as you encounter it - is fine. So not "done" but certainly in a place where I understand the gear/tone chase to too often represent patellar (pavlovian?) consumerism that is actually detrimental to the pursuit making music.

Which isn't necessarily the pursuit of many here. I have said before, the dual audience of TGP are gear-centric hobbyists discussing their acquisitions and working musicians discussing daily use tools of the trade.

Congratulations to those that are done! Unfortunately (or fortunately??) for me I have plenty of G.A.S. in the tank.

Every NAMM I’m finding something new that I want in addition to watching YouTube demos and time on Reverb.
Can I suggest a 335 type next?

With the increased difficulty & expense of selling gear, I'm done buying. With my son starting college in the fall, it's a question of when & which I'll sell vs if :aok

Funny, I sold a guitar today, but then made arrangements to buy an amp.

Hopefully the 1x15 cab goes, I might come out even, moneywise.

I haven't been getting out, my Super Reverb is just too big to carry unless the gig is outdoors.

Can I suggest a 335 type next?

Eastman makes wonderful guitars! It has been many years since I’ve owned an ES-335. I owned an ES-339 more recently and although the sound is different, I liked the compact body of the 339. Ultimately I prefer the solid body Les Paul especially when playing with a full band. It just cuts through better.

My philosophy is : if it makes you happy and you can afford it. go for it. But buy used and resell at the same price if you ever happen to realize that was a mistake.
Used to have 4 guitars sitting around. Now I just got one.
I have really found that buying used works best for me. It makes purchases easier to justify, and for some reason, I prefer an instrument that's already been "broken in".

Yes. Why acquire things you don't use?
(...)A warehouse with all your crap? disorder.
Baseball cards? why?
Records...do you listen to them? No? Then why have them?
A mature outlook. I realized earlier this year that I had a bit of a hoarding issue. It's not so much that I was buying a lot of stuff that I shouldn't (though that was part of the problem also), but that I was *dramatically* over-estimating how much free time I actually had, which led to a lot of "optimistic" purchases, particularly stuff like board games and model kits that I would "get to later". Of course, later comes just after "next Tuesday". So I implemented a *hard* mantra I call the "12/12 Rule". Here's how it works: If something I own has not been used in the past 12 months, and I don't expect to use it in the next 12, I sell it, give it away, or throw it away. The only thing exempt are small sentimental items (keepsakes of deceased friends/family for example). This has been incredibly liberating. One thing I can say about my guitar gear buying in the past 30 months (around $3,000 total), is that I use pretty much everything I have. The stuff I don't use gets sold.

I have really found that buying used works best for me. It makes purchases easier to justify, and for some reason, I prefer an instrument that's already been "broken in".

A mature outlook. I realized earlier this year that I had a bit of a hoarding issue. It's not so much that I was buying a lot of stuff that I shouldn't (though that was part of the problem also), but that I was *dramatically* over-estimating how much free time I actually had, which led to a lot of "optimistic" purchases, particularly stuff like board games and model kits that I would "get to later". Of course, later comes just after "next Tuesday". So I implemented a *hard* mantra I call the "12/12 Rule". Here's how it works: If something I own has not been used in the past 12 months, and I don't expect to use it in the next 12, I sell it, give it away, or throw it away. The only thing exempt are small sentimental items (keepsakes of deceased friends/family for example). This has been incredibly liberating. One thing I can say about my guitar gear buying in the past 30 months (around $3,000 total), is that I use pretty much everything I have. The stuff I don't use gets sold.
Good post! Yes..Also, that's a great rule!..I heard it before as a 6 month rule. Why people hoard gear can get complicated. I wouldn't consider myself a hoarder by any stretch, as all my amps and guitars get used in rotation, and my amp and guitar collection is actually fairly small considering what it could be. Having stated that, I never came from privilege, so in my case I went years of not having real decent gear, so when I could afford it later in life, I may of over compensated a little bit and acquired some of my dream gear from my youth, but with my hard earned $$$. I actually appreciate my small amp and guitar collection. I could never understand why,(in extreme cases)some people buy and sell gear like it was "easy come, easy go" trading cards. I get attached to my guitars and to a lesser extent my amps. Ultimately, It's all about making music with it, and not the thrill of acquiring an "old athletes' rookie card to smoke a pipe to afterwards, take some pics, show off to the neighbours and sell it a few months later in order to pursue the next "thing".

Last edited:
Yeah. I've never sold anything that I can remember. So I'll approach a point when I'll run out of room.

Only 7 guitars and 3 amps. A few mics, an interface and an eleven rack. 2 or 3 pedals from back in the 80s. No space issues yet

I do wonder where people get the space to house large collections

I’m pretty much set for guitars and amps. I just added a Keeley Halo to my pedalboard and that was pretty much the last piece to the pedal puzzle. I’ve got a bunch of old but good pickups and parts that have accumulated over 50 years, so I’ve been thinking about picking up a couple of cheap Squiers and Epis that I can upgrade just for the fun of it, but other than that I’m all set for instruments.

I’ve been done on the pedal end for a couple yrs now. There’s a few guitars and an amp Id like to get. But I’m very slow when it comes to getting bigger ticket items otherwise I’d be done on that end also.

A big part of it I think is also getting older and realizing you’re never going to actually make use of this or that and actually gig this or that style etc.

Yeah, eventually you’ve played one of everything and realize there’s no magic waiting around the corner.

…I’ll spare you the ‘I’m done’ gear pic.

So….(sheepish)…

After starting this thread, today I bought a sunburst Strat. Not the one that triggered my OP, but it’s really cool and I got a great deal and it’ll be great to have and and and…

GAS sucks. But at least I’ll get my TGP card back.

And to answer an earlier question I posed, I got to use all of those Guitar Center gift cards.

Yep - I’m a hypocrite.

So….(sheepish)…

After starting this thread, today I bought a sunburst Strat. Not the one that triggered my OP, but it’s really cool and I got a great deal and it’ll be great to have and and and…

GAS sucks. But at least I’ll get my TGP card back.

And to answer an earlier question I posed, I got to use all of those Guitar Center gift cards.

Yep - I’m a hypocrite.
The less you are looking the easier it is to find stuff like gear.

Although my wife would never believe me, I think I'm pretty much done for a variety of reasons. I'll be 58 in December so I'm getting conscious of the fact that my years being able to play guitar are running out. I also want to start working less and that means I just won't have the same disposable income available. I've also come to the conclusion that I've spent far too much time and money chasing nuances of tone that make virtually no difference at all in the real world. I used to have several guitars and now I have one acoustic and one electric. I used to have a valve amp and a whole board of pedals, and now I have a Boss GX100. The acoustic is a Taylor 214CE Koa Deluxe, so a nice guitar and I probably spent too much on it given how little I play acoustic. I may even sell this one and do without an acoustic, I'm not sure. My electric is an LTD M-1000E with the EMG pickups changed for a Super Distortion and BKP Emerald. It's not the most versatile guitar I've ever owned and I find the silly reverse pointy headstock to be completely infantile, but it's lovely to play and I'm beyond caring if this is a Blues guitar or a Metal guitar. If I want to play Blues on it, I can and it can sound great. I saw a video on YouTube of Adrian Smith playing Comfortably Numb on his signature Jackson and it sounded great so I suspect that having multiple guitars is far less important than we like to tell ourselves to justify more gear. I'm tempted by a Harley Benton SC550 with the EMG Fat 55 pickups simply because it's cheap but I'm far from convinced I'll bother even getting that. I'm tired of spending a fortune on things that don't much matter and on lots of guitars I rarely play. If I joined a band again, I'd buy a second guitar as a back up but for home use, one is fine.

Ha. I'll be 60 a couple of months later and was thinking exactly the opposite. I'll hopefully have more time on my hands to play the guitar. I work for myself so unless we have a great 5 years for pensions in the stockmarket (Fock all chance of that) I probs won't retire til at least 66 but I'm hoping to knock out a few more decades of guitar playing either way. Maybe get to play live again for a while in a small way but defo spend more time playing and recording.

I'll get all my buying and testing of gear out of the way in the next while. :)

I'll be 58 in December so I'm getting conscious of the fact that my years being able to play guitar are running out. I've also come to the conclusion that I've spent far too much time and money chasing nuances of tone that make virtually no difference at all in the real world. My electric is an LTD M-1000E with the EMG pickups changed for a Super Distortion and BKP Emerald. It's not the most versatile guitar I've ever owned and I find the silly reverse pointy headstock to be completely infantile, but it's lovely to play and I'm beyond caring if this is a Blues guitar or a Metal guitar. If I want to play Blues on it, I can and it can sound great. I saw a video on YouTube of Adrian Smith playing Comfortably Numb on his signature Jackson and it sounded great so I suspect that having multiple guitars is far less important than we like to tell ourselves to justify more gear.
I 100% understand you on the first point. I am only 42, but the reality is that time is finite, so better to enjoy the gear you have, once you have a few nice pieces. Regarding the last point, I bought a used RG for $170 on a whim, that a previous owner had modded with the EMG set, and I play *everything* on it.

Top Bottom