Ever realize you’re just…done?

So I’m poking around TGP and came across an ad for a sunburst Strat at a pretty good price. I got excited then realized…I don’t need it.

I have a main guitar, and a suitable backup for gigs. I’m satisfied with my modeling solution. Satisfied with my monitoring choice.

So, as excited as I got for a few minutes, I sighed and moved on.

Let me guess - that means my TGP card is going to be revoked, right?!?

Strats and modeling…? Um yeah, you haven’t even graduated to Teles and Tweed Deluxes. You aren’t done. Not at all.
I beg to differ…

Strats are HSS with coil split for cover band stuff. Can’t get that level of flexibility with a Tele.

The modeler means I’m not lugging a big ass amp to gigs anymore.

And I don’t record. Ever. So no need for a “real” amp to get “real” tone down on tape (yeah yeah yeah I know- no one uses tape anymore. It’s just a figure of speech).

So I’m poking around TGP and came across an ad for a sunburst Strat at a pretty good price. I got excited then realized…I don’t need it.

I have a main guitar, and a suitable backup for gigs. I’m satisfied with my modeling solution. Satisfied with my monitoring choice.

So, as excited as I got for a few minutes, I sighed and moved on.

Let me guess - that means my TGP card is going to be revoked, right?!?
This is good. This should be the “normal” state of mind. Despite what the Internet would have us think, it’s not great to always be dissatisfied with your material possessions and need more. I think a healthy heart finds satisfaction and rest and enjoyment in their possessions.

Short scale: Fender Justin-Meldal Johnson (JMJ) bass

Controller: Akai MPC Key (an MPC X + 61 keyboard in one) just came out
I am leaning toward that bass, yes. You have one? I was debating a PJ Mustang for the pickup versatility, but the one Jazz pickup should do the trick. I really only want one bass tone….

Just watched a demo of that MPC Key 61. Looks nice, but I just got an MPC Live 2 earlier this year, that I wanted for the Portability. I may pair it with an extree keyboard controller I have in storage to approximate the MPC Key when I dont waht to use it in bed/on the sofa/on the deck.

Also planning to get the NI S1L mk2 controller for the main duties.

Oh lord tell me about it. Currently have 10 Strats and 12 Teles…. And I’m ordering another Tele from MJT as we speak. There’s something wrong with me.
Wow. How do you decide which to play? Do you not feel ‘guilt‘ at not playing some of them (enough)?

i just ordered my first MJT body, for what will be a second Strat. As much as I love Strats, I don’t see myself having more than… three?

I used to be a flip-a-haulic - I would bounce thru like $100k a year of stuff just because I love noodling around with new stuff. Over time I kept all the keepers, let go of more keepers than I want to think about, and really got a feel for what it was like to own a ton of different things. I stopped doing that at the start of Covid and sort of came to the conclusion my time left should be with the best stuff, not everything I can flip without loosing money. I sort of miss the excitement of the "hunt" though.

This is good. This should be the “normal” state of mind. Despite what the Internet would have us think, it’s not great to always be dissatisfied with your material possessions and need more. I think a healthy heart finds satisfaction and rest and enjoyment in their possessions.
Obviously greed is a thing. That being said, wanting something else doesn't mean I must be dissatisfied with what I have. I have different wants for different things. I'm not dissatisfied with my bandsaw because I want a table saw. Same with my guitars.

I was finished in 2012 but made a guitar purchase in 2015 for a semihollow.
Glad I did in hindsight, it meant I could off load some other guitars and I was even more done.
Its really nice to not be interested in gear other than what I have.

I have layers of done

Core: Strat, LP Custom, Acoustic, Park P45, Soldano SLO, Mesa Mark III, Korg SDD3000, Kingsley Page, Jester, Jouster, TC SCF, 212 Alnico Creams, 412 G12-55 GBs

Rig: R6, 335, AC30 TB6, 212 EVs, Parlour acoustic, Foxrox CC2 & TZF, Diamond Memory Lane 2, Centura, Model H, Skrecho, Screwdriver, Hartman Flanger

Collection: everything else I have.

Last category tends to be investments and others things I justify via liking having them around.
Rig is stuff I keep in event I ever get back into the band thing again.
Core is stuff I keep to play and will do as long as I play.

So one could say I've been "done" a few times now....the last stage is perpetual and never ends :p

For the short term, I'm set--AS Tele as main guitar that I never see myself parting with, Gretsch Streamliner as backup/use on a couple specific songs, solid pedals, Vox AC15C1. I hope to upgrade my amp within the year to an AC15HW (perhaps with the Blue Alnico). Eventually, I'd like to acquire a higher grade humbucker guitar, but it's by no means a pressing issue.

I know I still have a handful of guitars I want. I also have a handful of amps I want.

I am really picky though and I have expensive tastes and limited budget so my buys are few and pretty far between especially with the higher prices lately.

I play all my guitars fairly regularly though and try not to have too much redundancy now that I'm over my sunburst LP addiction. Every one is unique lol!

I am leaning toward that bass, yes. You have one? I was debating a PJ Mustang for the pickup versatility, but the one Jazz pickup should do the trick. I really only want one bass tone….

Just watched a demo of that MPC Key 61. Looks nice, but I just got an MPC Live 2 earlier this year, that I wanted for the Portability. I may pair it with an extree keyboard controller I have in storage to approximate the MPC Key when I dont waht to use it in bed/on the sofa/on the deck.

Also planning to get the NI S1L mk2 controller for the main duties.
I have the MPC One - looks like they released a free software update today to 2.11. I was deciding between this and the Maschine but got a good deal on a used MPC.

I recently bought the Roland SP-404 MkII (yes it took forever). Way more limiting than the MPC but a ton of fun to use, especially as a sampler and coming up with ideas. I prefer the FX on the SP404 though the pads suck as we get spoiled by how good the MPC pads are.

Recently also picked up the Arturia Microfreak which is so much fun to use as a synth and vocoder.

The JMJ bass is hard to find -- I was deciding between this and a Fender Pro II Jazz, and ended up buying a used Jazz as I wanted to stick with a regular scale bass and couldn't find a used JMJ.

I'm almost there... Just need to add a Suhr and I'm pretty much done with adding. Then, I'll need to start replacing - such as an American Strat & Tele for my MIM/Squier versions. These I'll sell to help finance the new ones, so the numbers won't really change.

Last edited:
Yup. Said the same thing before too.

IMG_20211125_141931645.jpg

And there is quite a bit more at my other practice places.

Just embrace it.

I'm good on electric guitars. I have my main ones that I rotate through and love playing. I could trade in my acoustic though...my dream is a D-28.

Amps, I'm working on getting an old amp I have fixed. Brought it home from the repair shop and the same issue is happening so it needs some more work. Once that's figured out I should be good on amps since I already have others.

Pedals, for the most part I'm good but I can't say I'm ever done with pedals because I know something will come out that will catch my eye.

Yes. My hit rate in buying stuff that sticks must be in the single digits expressed as a percentage.

I have a Tele with a Bigsby and a Thinline. I have a great LP. I have only brought one electric to a show for at least 5 years now?

Boss is the only form factor I like. Bonus that I prefer their sounds. Roland JC77 and JC40 are perfect for me. And I mean perfect.

Anything else I grab falls away. If another solid wood, truss rod 60s Harmony acoustic walks into my local shop I’ll buy it. Because they are cheap, great and rare.

Here’s our most recent album. I played the same guitar the entire time. Tracked everything through their cranked Silverface DR. Then tracked again through their early JCM800 212 combo. Let the engineer figure out what to use when. I just don’t need or want anything else.

Last edited:
Geez, people, what is with all the negative & doubting comments?
I reached that point a few years ago. It doesn't mean you never buy another new guitar again, it just means you don't lay awake at night craving one, or figuring out what kind you "need" next.
I am content with my gear & my tone. But I still peruse this forum daily to learn about new stuff and I still walk into music stores from time to time to see what they have in stock and try new things. The difference is now I'm doing it out of curiosity and for the enjoyment instead of feeling driven to get the next thing.
I honestly don't know how & why the change took place. I'd love to claim it was maturity or spiritual growth but I think it is just a shift in priorities? It certainly wasn't any conscious effort on my part, it just...happened. I still love certain guitars and could probably plot and plan and splurge on something beautiful and expensive, but I really don't feel any pull to do so.

Top Bottom