Ever sand down your neck on your guitar?

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
I have a teli that has more of a baseball neck. I love the guitar but I am very tempted to get some sand paper and shape the neck, ANY ADVICE?

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure if I can give any meaningful advice, but yeah, I've sanded necks to change the profile. They came out great. Isn't really rocket science. Just be sure to check often to make sure you're not going too far on one side (unless an asymmetrical profile is what you're going for of course). It's really going to come down to judgment. But with patience you should be able to accomplish your goal. To make a significant change you'll have to start out with a medium or heavier grit and once you're getting close start switching to ever finer grit. I spray several coats of lacquer on mine, fine sanding between each and finishing with rubbing compound for a factory gloss. But that's a personal choice. Many prefer an unfinished neck.

Of course I'll be very surprised if you don't get a bunch of "just buy the neck you want and keep the original for resale" type responses here on ever "resale mindful" TGP. But I'm more interested in making the instrument work for me.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
for a tele, i'd buy a new neck.
if i couldn't afford it, i'd give it a go.
been thinking about having a pro do this to my les paul though

Cymbaline

I tried it once with a fat neck on a cheapo Harmony I had once. Went too far with the belt sander and almost went into the truss rod channel. What a dumbass I was.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you're VERY careful.

gwr

I was in a local pawn shop not long ago and on the wall was a 2002 PRS CE-24 that was a little road worn,dull finish and tarnished chrome,but the owner had sanded the finish off the neck and it felt really nice.The associate noticed it and thought it was just worn off from playing,anyway the asking price was $800 and I offered $650 because the neck was worn and he accepted...hahha

Kingpin69

I tried to sand an unfinished neck I have. Just took 600 I think. Used my hand and slid up and down the neck like I was playing. Held the sandpaper in kind of a U shape trying to follow the old back shape. Then used 0000 steel wool. Feels sooo good now! It wasn't the shape I didn't like. It was too fat! So it worked great for me!

navenjohnson

Inventor of the Opti-grab
I have used scotch bright to knock some gloss of the back of a neck to make it less sticky. However I have never sanded a neck for the purpose of changing its contour.

Misterbulbous

I had an old Fender Lead II. I guess the neck finish was polyurethane? Anyways, a little heat from a lighter would cause the clearcoat to literally peel off in large flakes. Probably not something you want to try, but it was incredibly effective.

tresspassor

I did it to a tele with a baseball bat neck. Just use some 220 and 400 grit in the palm of my hand. Got it down to a nice soft v shape. Put a few coats of tru oil on it and she was good to go.

socalscott

Start by hand scraping with a piece of metal with a sharp edge. Then sand when close to desired shape.

mesa/kramer

Yup

3 different Maple necked super strats.

Took some thickness off and sanding off the finish made the necks fast as hell.