• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Ever see this vintage Kay acoustic before??

I came across this Kay acoustic today, it's the first time I've seen a Kay with this logo and bolt on neck. Any ideas??

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
That "Country-Flat" body shape was introduced about 1967, probably when Valco bought Kay, and was still made into the early '70s when the brand was bought by a Japanese company. I don't have any catalogs showing acoustics with bolt-on necks, but I have seen them before; my guess is that they date from around '67-'68 when Valco was experimenting with the Kay line.

Hey thanks!!! It's in the 1966 catalog as a K6105 Country Flat. The vintage guitar price guide, says in low condition it's wroth around $300. I got it for $10.

It's worth at least ten!! At least if/when a neck reset is necessary, it won't cost $300-400!! "Steel Reinforced Neck"!

zombywoof

Kay was slapping bolt on adjustable neck on their guitars before they were even known as Kay.

Here is one from the 1930s.

By the mid-1960s it cost less to make a guitar in Japan than what Valco was paying for just the wood. So a bolt on neck was probably more a cost cutting thing than anything else. Valco, of course, went belly up a year or two after your guitar was made.

Auriemma

Very cool! Looks like a predecessor to the Kelvinator logo.

Raising or lowering the neck to set the action... Wow.

MCK

Kay was slapping bolt on adjustable neck on their guitars before they were even known as Kay.

Here is one from the 1930s.

By the mid-1960s it cost less to make a guitar in Japan than what Valco was paying for just the wood. So a bolt on neck was probably more a cost cutting thing than anything else. Valco, of course, went belly up a year or two after your guitar was made.
I have one of these guitars. It is simply awesome and decades ahead of its time... Here it is

I have one of these guitars. It is simply awesome and decades ahead of its time... Here it is

That's a cool looking guitar!!! Mines in good shape, the neck is straight and frets are not too worn. The guitar shows it's age and the only thing wrong with it, it needs a new nut, it's damaged. It's dark sounding and the action is high enough to just play slide on it.

zombywoof

Nice - a 14 fret X braced Venetian. I have owned a few including a rosewood body model. I still have never even laid eyes on one with a maple body.

MCK

Not sure what wood mine is. It sounds lovely. A little dark and quite loud for its size. Frets are ok for its age. Action is pretty low.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom