• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Ever seen strings do this? Nearly ruined my gig

Badside

Brand new strings, Slinky 11-48, been using this brand/gauge for a while.

Everything was fine at the beginning of the gig, but after 2 hours I couldn't play solos anymore, notes would choke as if my neck was warped (it's not). I thought my eyes were playing games with me but the strings really are curved above the frets (and it's not like I play 15th fret on low strings very often). Very confused by this, these are not light strings either.

Thankfully I had a spare guitar (with the same strings) so I was able to finish the gig.

That's crazy. Never seen that before. Looks like their winding machine was going loopy that day. I know the tension of the wrap wire as it's wound around the core plays a big role in final quality, looks like QC didn't catch that one.

Badside

That's crazy. Never seen that before. Looks like their winding machine was going loopy that day. I know the tension of the wrap wire plays a big role in final quality, something must have went wrong.
The odd thing is this was a 3-pack and the other 2 sets didn't fail like this.

Goes to show that you should ALWAYS have a spare (thankfully I only needed one tuning for this gig so 2 guitars got me covered, sometimes I need 3 or even 4 different tunings, makes it hard to have a spare for each, have to keep a capo ready)

The odd thing is this was a 3-pack and the other 2 sets didn't fail like this.

Goes to show that you should ALWAYS have a spare (thankfully I only needed one tuning for this gig so 2 guitars got me covered, sometimes I need 3 or even 4 different tunings, makes it hard to have a spare for each, have to keep a capo ready)
Yeah that's odd. I'd be interested to see if any string gurus chime in, because I'm curious how they managed to fail like that. My guess is a poor wind around the core, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last nite :)

kafka

Weird. It's probably happened to me before, but I've never noticed it.

No, there's no way there's anything happening here other than the properties of the material. Low modulus of plasticity, or a very thin core. Nothing to do with humidity.

Do Ernie Balls have thin cores by design? I've always thought they were too tinny and bright. That could be why.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
It's curved above the fret (high strings did the same over 12th and 14th fret). As if I was playing with the strength of Thanos.

One thing to know is this was an outside gig at night. Perhaps something to do with humidity.
High humidity can create backbow. Backbow can choke out strings. Is your neck relief typically low? Two hours in high humidity could do it. Can't speak to the string condition but I am not sure why it would choke out the guitar.

hunter

mosesblues

Silver Supporting Member
If all (or most) of the strings have a curve at the same fret, might there be extra compression in that vacinity when the guitar case is closed? Or was there something pressing on the guitar case among your other gear traveling near it? Hope helpful.

Ronnie J

You were meant for me. Perhaps as punishment.
Silver Supporting Member
You should email that photo to Ernie Ball. Wouldn't surprise me if they comped you with a free replacement set.

jwguitar

Brand new strings, Slinky 11-48, been using this brand/gauge for a while.

Everything was fine at the beginning of the gig, but after 2 hours I couldn't play solos anymore, notes would choke as if my neck was warped (it's not). I thought my eyes were playing games with me but the strings really are curved above the frets (and it's not like I play 15th fret on low strings very often). Very confused by this, these are not light strings either.

Thankfully I had a spare guitar (with the same strings) so I was able to finish the gig.
I cant say I have ever seen that either. Every now and then you get a string that is crimped when it was wound. Usually I catch that before I actually put it on the guitar. I dont know what the explaination for this is!

pedalparty

I've seen all major brands have this problem on a string or two out of a pack. Odds are probably very slim that it happens. Ive restrung thousands of guitars and probably seen it like 5-10 times. I have noticed that almost every unwound g string is bent to some degree before I put it on. Sometimes its causes major intonation problems. If it lines up directly with a fret, then you have a dead note as well.

A string wouldn't/shouldn't bend like that during an outside gig, or any gig for that matter. I'd check under the fret for divots in those spots. If you don't have any divots then I you could contact ernie ball. They will probably send you a free set.

tanee

Silver Supporting Member
I usually play my strings long after they’ve been dead out of laziness and eventually preference. This happens quit a bit with very old strings. It makes me wonder if you have a really old set that’s been in the stores inventory for a very long time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom