Ever sell your Carvin guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brazen, May 19, 2015.

1. Brazen

Brazen Member

They don't have much resell value don't they?

I have a DC127 and it's certainly a well made guitar. I tried to sell it before for $700 and I didn't get any hits. Didn't really want to sell it but I'm not playing anymore due to age and disabilities yet I still like to play.

In other words, it sucks to get old.

2. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I sold my Carvin. Didn't like the tuners or the Wilkinson. Just never got with it. Sold it when I bought my PRS. Never looked back.

3. Brazen

Brazen Member

I love mine. :)

Of course I don't have any problems with the tuners nor the Wilkinson. It's a hard tail and you can't beat the Steinberger tuners. :p

My DC127 is the red one and next to it is my Carvin Bolt kit guitar with upgrades.

[​IMG]

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I bought a strat bolt used a number of years back. With all the upgrades, it would have retailed for $1k.

Rather than selling it (neck was too thin for me), I gave it to a buddy. He plays the heck out of it every week. Wonderful guitars. I wouldn't hesitate to won another.

5. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I used to own a Carvin 12 string acoustic electric guitar. It was a great sounding guitar. Sold it about 14 years ago to finance my purchase of a Taylor 514 CE. The resale value of the Carvin was bad ( should not have sold it) I did better with the sale of the Taylor.

6. Faded

Faded Member

Ive sold one that I bought used and got about what I paid for it which was a fraction of its retail price. I would never buy a new Carvin. I just dont like to take a 75% hit.

7. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I sold my old '87 V220. It was a brick and sounded so-so, but had a superb neck.

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

People buy Carvin because they can customize them to their taste. Buying used, you lose one of the main reasons to buy a Carvin in the first place, so on the used market, they don't have as much value. The more you spend on options when you buy it new, the more you're likely to lose when you resell it.

milli vanilli likes this.
  9. jfwund

jfwund Member

I did sell my Carvin (DC 127T) when I got my PRS. They're really nice guitars, but I wasn't playing it (moved away from shredder necks as I got older) and needed to make some room. If I remember correctly, I got about 50% of what I paid new. Resale isn't good.

10. 73Fender

73Fender Member

One of those guitars that if you care about the value you need to buy used. Or, buy new and spec it out then keep it forever or at least realize you will take a big hit if you sell. Pretty simple really.

milli vanilli likes this.
  11. hackenfort

hackenfort Supporting Member

I've never owned one, but have tried a few "Used" ones, only because resale is so low on them. But I didn't care enough for any of them to buy.

Must say I like their amps thought.

12. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

just like buying an actual strat. buy a $1400 strat today, tomorrow it's worth $800

13. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

^^^^

I love Carvin products. I have owned several over the years, but they have terrible resale value. The Carvin guitars I have owned all had great workmanship, and features comparable to all the big name manufacturers. I have always taken a big hit if I bought it new and tried to sell, guitars or amps. People don't realize how good they are and they don't have enough name recognition to get a decent resale value.:(

14. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I have an ultra v that I purchased new in '87 that I still have. I also have a used ct4 that I got for a great deal used (no surprise) a long while back. Neither one is gong anywhere. Funny thing, I'm getting tempted to spec a new guitar under the kiesel badge. Their facebook posts are killing me!

15. rsm

rsm Member

I wonder if the new Keisel line including the Vader will have similar resale challenges?

I'm GASing for a Keisel Vader 6

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  16. Pushead

Pushead Member

I had one, it was quite nice. I bought it used for around $600, and sold it 5 or 6 years later for $500.

17. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Mmm, vader...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This black limba ct is drool worthy...

[​IMG]

18. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I have sold a few Carvin's over the years. It really depends on your options. I think the DCs are a harder sell due to the neck through design. I sold a headless Holdsworth HH2 in all black with the standard wood choices for good money 70% of what I paid. I also sold a Gold Top CS4S for right 70% of what I paid. But it was spec'ed out very much like a classic single cut LP Style guitar and sold quickly.

19. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I've bought and sold quite a few of them. Bought 'em all used and made money on every one of them when I sold 'em. The CS6 I had earned the highest rate of return.

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

They don't hold their value like other guitars, which is a shame as well made as they are. G&L can be similar.

Had one, didn't love it.