Ever sold gear to a famous rocker?

NB_Terry

Just had my first confirmed famous musician order a fuzz from me on Reverb. Soooo tempting to talk gear aimlessly!

Anyone else? Do you feel comfortable sharing who? Should this be an unspoken cool thing that happens occasionally?

Attachments

• kimbo.jpg
    kimbo.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 62

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Way back 10 years ago I either bought or sold a fuzz from hank the third .

I bought an RO from Derek St Holmes or one of his people.

Didn’t get to meet either one. Just dealt with emails .

I bought a ep2 echo plex from Tom Bukovac too. Just talked through emails. Super nice to deal with.
I had the ep2 up forsale for week but I changed my mind . I’m keeping it now.

stagolee

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my time to shine - About 10 years ago I lived in central Illinois and posted a natural Fender MIM jazz bass on Craigslist for a reasonable price. Got a couple cash offers but one other offer stuck out. I received an email from the then-drummer (not original member) of Molly Hatchet looking to trade some signed merch and VIP passes to their upcoming show. I politely declined.
This is hilarious (and a little sad). Thank you for this anecdote.

northvanhalen

I swapped a Gibson Flying V to the former guitarist from Tegan & Sara for his Gibson RD.

Big mistake. The RD was heavily modded (3 humbuckers) and I figured (incorrectly) that I could handle it. Awful sounding guitar that was a bloody boat anchor to lug around.

cosmic_rust

Gold Supporting Member
True story: I once facilitated a vintage Gibson amp sale to none other than Joe Bonamassa-- conversed with him via email before he called my buddy and arranged to have it shipped out. He was super nice! Total gear nerd, and incredibly knowledgeable, as you'd expect.

straightblues

I sold some stuff throught the years to rock stars including Joe Bonamasa at a guitar swap meet. But my cool story is that I bought a cabinet from Joe Walsh. His studio guy had it listed. I went to a warehouse in Burbank and it was stuffed with more gear than most music stores. I was checking out the cab and Joe Walsh come in and hung for a little while. Got a great deal on the 4x12 cabinet and was surprised to find Altec speakers in it.

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
True story: I once facilitated a vintage Gibson amp sale to none other than Joe Bonamassa-- conversed with him via email before he called my buddy and arranged to have it shipped out. He was super nice! Total gear nerd, and incredibly knowledgeable, as you'd expect.
Isn't he from your corner of the world?

Is he from Ithaca or Utica? I can't ever remember. (Or be bothered to check, obviously! Lol)

TheReplicant

I sold a Moog expression pedal to a somewhat famous Canadian musician when his pooped out just before a show. Got 2 comps for the show too.
(Almost bought a Hohner Pianet from Kid Koala in Montreal.)

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
Sure is! I'm a little under 3 hours north of Utica, where he's from. It's a cold, desolate life.
Oh wow, you're in Potsdam! :eek:

Yeah, that's up there. You're basically Canadian! For some reason I thought you were in Ithaca.

I'm originally from Syracuse. I thought that Watertown was "Upstate".....

It's funny, living in NYC, people refer to Westchester as 'Upstate'!! :rotflmao

cosmic_rust

Gold Supporting Member
Oh wow, you're in Potsdam! :eek:

Yeah, that's up there. You're basically Canadian! For some reason I thought you were in Ithaca.

I'm originally from Syracuse. I thought that Watertown was "Upstate".....

It's funny, living in NYC, people refer to Westchester as 'Upstate'!! :rotflmao
Small world! Yep, I'm a prof at SUNY Potsdam for my day gig. I love Cuse-- the closest place to find fine dining!

cstmrts

In the last couple of months I sold a pedal and an amp to two relatively famous youtubers.
One is a great, but not yet famous, musician.

LikeAMotherF

Silver Supporting Member
Small world! Yep, I'm a prof at SUNY Potsdam for my day gig. I love Cuse-- the closest place to find fine dining!
Well, you have my respect.

Those winters are gnarly. The only people who live up that way year-round are convicts and lunatics!

I used to work in the service industry when I lived in Syracuse. In the end I was moving up into that end of the spectrum- fine dining, locally sourced, organic, local etc etc. If those same spots are still open, I'm sure you've eaten there!

Syracuse isn't bad for what it is. But what it is ain't much! :p

crapstack

I sold Kurt Cobain a candy apple red Japanese Stratocaster. Watching this video of a 1993 show at Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens where he picks it up for the encore, plays "Blew", has a feedback fest, and then smashes it never fails to fill me with glee. The broken neck from it was returned to me and is now sitting on the shelf next to me with a small pile of Fender necks. The action starts at about 1 hour and 25 minutes into this video.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom