Ever Spend Way Too Much on an Amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by atomicmassunit, Feb 4, 2008.

1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

...and then keep it because you don't want to lose money?

OR

...it turns out to be your most expensive and least played amp?

Let's hear the stories!

2. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I buy lots of amps ...I like lots of amps....I unload lot's of amps....I lose money on lot's of amps.....I break even on lots of amps....I rarely if ever make any money on lots of amps.....and so it goes...I'm good!! :AOK

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I spent a lot on the Mad Professor, but I really dig it and gig with it, so it's all good!

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I dunno what you consider to be "way too much" ("way too much" being very subjective, IMO), but yes... I have. I won't say which amp, though.

5. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Just bought a Komet Concorde, the single most expensive amp I've ever bought. And I'm hoping that I'll be able to control the volume enough by using a plexi shield I'm going to build, an attenuator, and my guitar's volume knob.

But, even if all I ever get to do with it is play it at home because it's so loud, I'll still be stoked. It is THE sound and it is worth it to own it, even if only I get to hear it.

Wait... of course I'm gonna gig with it!

6. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

I once paid waaaay too much for a 1964 Vibroverb, the one with the 15" JBL. Sold it a couple years later for double what I paid for it. :BEER

7. jimo

jimo Supporting Member

I have one amp that I really wanted when it first came out (not going to mention the brand but it was 3K+) I dig the amp and still play it all the time (so I don't regret the purchase) but won't get rid of it cause I can't stomach taking the loss.

8. randuro

randuro Member

Yep...Yep....Yep:mad:

9. parker

parker Member

hehe, I should make this my sig!:BEER

10. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I just bought a CeriaTone 50 watt Plexi clone. I spent $1050.00. I am assuming that I will love that amp. The clips on the net were fantastic.

Only if it arrives in pieces, will I have spent too much.

Tone is everything!

11. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I try not to buy new amps because of this.
    Buy used and get most of your money back, buy vintage and make money, buy new and loose money until inflation pulls the amp's value back up (if it was a good amp to start with), but...

Against my better judgement, I just bought a brand new Mesa/Boogie Express.
    I'm loving it, but the fact that it lost about 1/3 of it's value as I walked out the door with it bugs me!

12. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Not that I paid too much...but sold my Jubilee 2555 with slant 4x12 cab because it really didn't get much use anymore.

13. DamianP

DamianP Member

I spent £300 on a Laney VC30. That was far too much.

I spent £1200 on a Juke 1210. It turned out to be worth far more.

Damian.

14. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

I've been there, done that, many times over! I've bought and sold almost every amp Marshall has made, all in my quest for "the" tone! Sure, I lost money most of the time, but like any hobby, guitar and amp trading is expensive! And fun (most of the time).

I rarely just keep something because I would loose money selling it, although when that does happen, if I wait long enough, I sell it just to not see it sitting around collecting dust. I'm they type that opens the shipping box, plugs the amp in, tries it, and 5 minutes later, takes photos of it to sell it on eBay if I don't love it! My wife thinks I'm insane, and maybe I am!

15. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

For as long as I have been playing I haven't really owned that many amps. I have made a few bucks on some and lost a few on others but its all been nominal. These days I do my homework before I buy anything. I hate loosing money :FM. I haven't bought a brand new amp in years so my record is very good. I am tempted by the new Camerons but won't do it until they start popping up used and wait for someone else to loose their shirt. Its pretty clear that other then a few amps the resale market sucks on most of them. To me the thought of spending over $2k on an amp and a few month laters the resale is less then $1500 is disturbing. The most I've spent on an amp is roughly $1300 used.

16. mjl927

mjl927 Member

Around '97-98, I bought a Mesa Nomad 100 brand new. Wound up not being able to settle on a tone that worked for me. The amp had a ton of switches and configurations but I still couldn't eek out the sound I wanted. I sold the head but kept the cab....a traditional sized 4x12. The cab sounds great with nearly everything I run through it. I like the smaller mesa cab much better than the larger recto-size cabs.

17. blue_lu

blue_lu Member

swart ?!

18. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I've paid an awful lot for a couple of my amps. There were times where I tried to sell one specific amp and thought I'd lose money. I wound up not selling and keeping it. I'm glad it didn't sell right now.

19. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yea. No, not really. Well, yea, I guess so. Sometimes. I dunno! I'm with Kurt on this....Ack.

20. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Bpught a Star combo.
    Great sound, but after trying to deal with the fact that the loop was only for the dirty channel, adding a booster to the effect, etc. I was bummed, and at just under $3k, I actually downtraded to something that was more in line with my needs t the time.