Ever thought about getting rid of your board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AndreasG, Feb 14, 2006.

1. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

The thread about cost of the board made me think of it. Even my board is about $ 1.200 if I calculate everything, and my board might not even be considered one by the standards over here:) . Plus I only use it on gigs. Every rehearsal I play, I just bring my RX Overdriver (VERY UNDERAPPRECIATED pedal), a guitar and an amp, and I'm PERFECTLY happy with it. On gigs then I start to mess with a second OD, a Wah, Tremolo and a vibe, and while they're nice touches, I really don't need that stuff. Not speaking about the stuff that I have laying around the house....Instead of the board I could bring another guitar, BUY another guitar or else...
    Anybody else thinking this way?

2. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Well, I must admit that I have less and less effects on my board of late. It's mostly ODs that I've gotten rid of, since I prefer to set the amp crunchy and play the dynamcis via touch/guitar volume. I suppose it depends whether the venue allows that. Of course I wouldn't want to go without my trem and I'm not THAT adept with the guitar volume that I could do that with my pinky ;)

Still, for a lot of styles, I could definitely go straight into a cookin' amp and not miss anything. I guess a germ fuzz/boost would be the most versatile for a gig.

chris

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

The day my rig's actual selling price could allow me to purchase (and dock) a new 24+ ft. sailboat and a nice acoustic...it's gone.

4. fyler

fyler Member

i don't even have a board. i usually only use a volume pedal. that's it. once in a while i'll use a fuzz, just for fun.

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I use a modest (I know, it is a relative term!) board for most gigs with the cover band that I am in.

I practice straight in and have done a couple of gigs with just a tuner in line, like when we open for someone else, etc.

I definately like the "freedom" of not having to dance around to change settings, as well as the easier setup/breakdown time.

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

7. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

I've played gigs with just my Fireball II and a tuner. Those are for the straight ahead sit in bar gigs or blues jams. My main gig tho I need the tones, as it's marginally more of a pain in the ass to setup my rig - same amount of connections, IN/OUT - in fact the only reason I don't bring my full rig to a sit in gig or jam is that I'll look like an idiot with my aircraft carrier of tone.

In fact, I get more frazzled by setting up 2 or 3 pedals thrown in a bag - power cables, tangled patch cords, no idea if the settings are where I like. It's cool to be removed from your comfort zone, but jeez.

I recently did a real book jam with friends and brought my FB2, hit it once and never again. Just messed with the pickup selector.

I have thought of ditching the aircraft carrier and going with a ZOOM or GT8, POD XT live etc. Would be smaller, but I REALLY like the tone I get.

BTW, I tallied my board once and when it neared $3k, I felt "dirty" :)

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Coarse...it doesn't have to be one OR the other.

A bigger board for important or appropriate venues....a much smaller mini-board with just "the basics" for a little extra spice.

I recently started a thread here, where I noticed that whatever my "main" pedalboard has on it, sometimes after a practice, when I get home I leave it in the case, and end up stringing together some of my "off the board" pedals just for fun. Then I find how GREAT they sound, I gotta think about redoing my whole main board again....unless...I make a smaller, small gig board.

One nice thing, you can take a small one to a jam or sit-in and not use it...if the amp can deliver the sound you want, but if you get stuck with an amp that hasn't got what you want it might be nice to have a graphic EQ, decent OD, maybe a delay or a vibe....

9. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

I have a few pedals, but, never became dependant on them. Seems like something is always cracking/poping/hissing/humming/needs adjusting. If I take it and it works within five minutes...fine, if not, I go tightline and kick the board to the side.
    I think that alone made me a better player.

10. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I've thought about selling my board and everything on it many times. After thinking about it carefully, I decided to keep just the essentials (G2D Creamtone OD, Mo-Faux vibe, Boss DM-2 delay and TU-2 tuner, a couple of Loop Master bypass boxes and a Pedal Power II). I even sold my Pedaltrain and built my own board.
    I can't begin to tell you how many effects (and how much $$$) I've gone through in the past 13 years (when I bought my first pedal, a Boss DD-3). Probably at least a hundred, and many I've forgotten about.
    I'm finding that the "less is more" approach works well for me these days, and I can't see ever going back to a huge (and heavy) board with 12-20 pedals on it.

11. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Never!!...I only think about more boards...I have my main big board, a smaller travelling board, and have recently started another (third) big board...aah, this is fun!

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I hate pedal boards and channel switching amps. A big clean sound is most important to me which makes a small pedal board almost a necessary evil to pull off the songs I attempt to play. However, I use my pedals very sparingly....sort of like salt & pepper instead of the main course.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes, let's just not speak about that, shall we? :)

This happens occasionally to me...I think, "if is sell those few pedals, I can buy XX guitar." I do, then the pedals accumulate again. But I really understand the beauty of a good amp and a just one or two good pedals...which is really all I need.

Oh, and I like the "aircraft carrier" reference above...made me smile. :D

Greg

14. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Though I've got multiple boards (the big one for my "space helmet," the medium sized one for general purpose, and the smaller one just to be able to cover stuff), there's something about having just one or two pedals to cover everything. There's real freedom there, and it wasn't until i rediscovered just turning up the clean channel of the amp and letting it give me the tone and sustain I needed.

Brett

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

I usually never practice with effects unless I am demoing or shooting out and comparing pedals...when I am on stage and supporting a vocalist I am playing rhythm 98% of the time and mainly need a tuner/wah and maybe an od pedal which I use about 2% of the time...

If I am the featured soloist then I go from using pedals around 2% of the time to 30 or 40% and I have to carry 2 or 3 different flavors of OD plus delay and chorus etc. so I have more tones avaliable to me...

Out of laziness I just leave my main board setup for everything and bring it to all my gigs...I have recently cut way back on gigging and lately have been experimenting with lots of different fx not because I need them but because they are just plain fun to use and create with...

I know I can play just about any gig with only a tuner and an od pedal but why limit yourself...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

So the GOOD news about playing without your crutch, er, pedalboard is that you get to know your amp and guitar really well.

You also get much better at coaxing sounds out of them.

The instant gratification factor goes way down, however.

If you're supporting a vocalist (which I have also done a fair amount of, like Seegs has) I pretty much always find that being unobtrusive is good.

If you're playing rock & pop covers, you feel a little naked at first, but it's good experience.

Playing Blues, Jazz, Reggae, Country - no problem, except you still feel a little naked at first.

I think it's a really good professional excercise to do it now and again - remember what it feel like to be a 'guitar player' (as opposed to an effects selector)

It doesn't have to be one or the other, but playing naked now and again is a good waker-upper, IMHO. It helps one re-connect with the more 'elemental' parts of playing gigs.

Dana

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I built a 2-tier board that fits in an old pedaltrain case that is about 22.5 in wide and 12 in deep. my motto is, if they all don't fit on the board, some have to go. So of course I am now limiting myself to smaller pedals! I have to cover all the guitar stuff in my 4-piece band, so I really need the different flavors, but I am getting ready to put together a small board for those occasions when I am out jamming and sitting in and have to play through a "stage" amp. Something like COT --> Eternity --> AM Mini Chorus --> Maxon ad AD-80. Regardless of how many effects I bring to a gig, these are the ones I use 95% of the time anyway, and I can get something decent out of any amp with just these 4.

As far as the central question of this thread is concerned... Pedals are life! I never worry about the money - to be honest, I can't remember anything special about a single $100 bill I have ever had in my wallet, but there are pedals, guitars, and amplifiers that I foolishly sold in the past and still pine for....

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

" If you're supporting a vocalist (which I have also done a fair amount of, like Seegs has) I pretty much always find that being unobtrusive is good."

What I should have written is that when I don't have any effects to think about, I can concentrate on being unobtrusive when backing up a vocalist a little easier.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

In my younger years, I have had vocalists tell me (in response to my asking them what they wanted from me as their 'accompianist')

"Just stay quiet and simple, and let me do my thing."

I've found at times that my easiest way to do that is to turn 'em all off, focus on the singer, and to be as minimal as possible, and to let them carry the ball themselves.

Some of 'em are pretty good at it.

I know, it surprised me too (GRIN)

Dana

19. shuffle

shuffle Member

Well, yes i have thought about it, and i did it...

I used to have a big board with plenty of pedals. (not including spares..)

AM Silver TS9-808
    AM CompROSSor
    AM Chorus
    AM Sunface
    Loooper ABY Box
    Fulltone FD2
    DL4
    DD-3
    Boss Tremelo
    Tuner
    Crybaby wah (modded to True Bypass)
    Phase 90

Thats was it at one stage, decided i wanted to go back to basics, sold all my pedals besides the Fulltone FD2, DL4 and Tuner. Got my pedal board cut to a tiny 30cm long to fit just these three pedals. Used the left over money plus more to buy an ac30.

Right now i wish i got the board cut a tiny bit bigger, i want to add a tremelo again and a compression pedal of some kind.. We live and learn.

20. Franklin

Franklin Member

Why is having effects bad? Did I miss something?

Of course you can play any gig with no effects or tuner. But if your band's music calls for effects...........

I currently play in two working bands, I find the extra weight is worth it. I have one power supply and two chords. Set up is a breeze. The only time I think about getting rid of it all when some pedal or cable craps out on me during a show. It's embarassing, even if it isn't audible.