Ever try Liquid Thread Lock on your George L's plugs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dB, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dB

dB Member

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

I dont think the screws are the problem as much as the loose unstable composition of the wire. If you look at the wire, its not very tightly composed. You can easily pull the core out of even a 5 foot length of the stuff. As you move the cables, the jacket and core flex and the small amount of shield that contacts the plug shifts which cuts the signal.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I use em, I don't move em around a whole lot and theyre fine.
    A twist with a pliers is always good. Threadlock would be cool. I love that stuff on input jacks.

4. Grenville

Grenville Member

I used threadlock on my first batch, but then couldn't get things apart without some major dentage & scarring when I reconfigured my board.

After that I just put 'em together more meticulously.

5. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

It cost me some pedalboard real estate (and some $$), but I switched most of mine to the straight George L's jacks and spaced my effects out a bit more. Those are nearly bulletproof. I also just got 8 of the speaker-wire versions today (4 angled, 4 straight) and they should really go back to the drawing-board on those designs. I got them to work, but only after tossing the instruction sheet and doing what made more sense. The instructions seem to be more in the vein of marketing the ease-of-use, and not providing good advice. Helpful Tips would have saved me a half-hour of testing failed connections: Make sure the ground wire makes contact with the concave section of the top screw. You may have to manually fish the wire out and point it straight up to accomplish this.

6. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

I use loctite red.Red is a bit strong but its tourproof.

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Red Loctite should never be used on something like this. It is NON removable without a torch. Blue Loctite is recommended for this application. I am a Millwright by trade and know because we use Loctite all the time.

8. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Get some of your wife's clear nail polish. A little dab will do it and it's removable with acetone. It would probably break free if you don't overdo it.

9. Chadley

Chadley Supporting Member

or you could just buy some of the jackets that George L sells. Isn't that what they are for? Keeps any of my connectors from ever coming apart.

10. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Its removable:) All you need to know is how:BEER
    I use red loctite on 4500 psi air tanks to screw in the low pressure regulators.All you need is a little heat to take it off.

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Same here.... :rolleyes:

jon