Ever used a Hot Plate with an XTC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

What say you about it? I have no particular reason for asking, I'm just curious as I saw somebody using one on a YouTube vid and it just got me wondering, that is all.

I think it sounds cool at low volumes and divine at jam/gig volumes, but one can always ponder.

2. pluto

pluto Member

Yep, I use a hotplate all the time at home with the ecstasy and love it. Without the hotplate and while playing at bedroom volume, the ecstasy sounds too thin IMO. Opening up the volume more with the hotplate makes the Ecstasy sound fuller, beefier, and just plain better. Also, I've used a Dr. Z brake with the Ecstasy and a Shiva, but I prefer the THD hotplate.

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

4. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

In my opinion, the hotplate chokes the "feel" of the Bogner.
    It has a great master Volume, so why use it?
    Other than the bedroom volume thing which it is great for...

Keith

5. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

Yeah, the hot plate worked well for bedroom things, because I feel like the MV on the XTC is only good for volume management, not total control.

I took my hot plate back because I decided I'd rather piss off my dormmates than have to compromise my tone

There is certianly some choking going on. It was less bad with the amp on full power using the 16 ohm hotplate than at half power with the 8 ohm hotplate

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Interesting, thanks.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Thanks for that.

8. snoggin

snoggin Member

I use one and find it makes things more manageable.. I can drive the amp harder and use the 4 or 8 db drop settings to take the edge off the volume. I use a hotplate on everything pretty much for rehearsals.. I have an Ultimate attenuator coming to try out .. those are at least double the cost of a hotplate so we shall see how much of an improvement it is

9. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Like I say, I have no problem with the MV, and think it sounds great at lower volumes. I was actually watching Peter Thorn's videos, specifically the Komet Concorde ones, and I noticed the Hot Plate and it just got me thinking, that's all.

10. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

One of the reason is that on half power you still need a 16 ohm HP. Just because you switch your impedance selector to 8 ohm to account for the change in reflected impdance by running only a duet of power tubes that doesn't change what the laod needs to be. Not like you change your cab to 8 ohm...

11. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

12. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I have a UA and think it's amazing but had no prior experience with other units. I wonder how much delta you will find.

13. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

14. visualrocker69

visualrocker69 Member

Hey Random :D

Just throwing in my input on this topic... there's absolutely no reason to use an attenuator of any kind with the XTC! Between half-power, class a, and old voicing, it can get down from 120 watts to a mere 7 watts. I've only been using this amp for two days (through a Bogner 2x12 OS cab) and I can get f$&*ing ridiculously good tone at volumes lower than crickets chirping. I think even my strings are louder than the amp itself at those settings! Oh, I forgot to mention, as always I do a lot of volume control via the effects loop. It doesn't seem to detrimentally affect the tone at all. I guess that's a pretty significant part of taming the beast, not just the wattage drop from the settings.

Well, that's it. Oh, and, I can't believe you ever considered keeping a Mark IV over this amp. Were you INSANE? :D