• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Every guitarist should have a shred guitar. Agree / Disagree?

Every guitarist should have a shred guitar. Agree / Disagree?

• Agree

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Disagree

Votes: 220 75.1%

• Total voters

Ouchz

Dear All,

I've been playing the normal traditional guitars for the longest time (I.e. Fender Strat and Gibson Les Paul). However, I've always had this nagging feeling that I should have a shred guitar, one with Humbucker and a Floyd rose.

So let's see some shred guitars if you guys agree!

Cheers :)

Pearcems

Maybe - I don't do much of what I consider real shredding though. And if I do, it's usually when I get frustrated with some lick I'm working on so I just bust it out to release frustration - no time to switch guitars.

Personally, I'd rather spend that money on a mod or put it towards more gear that's more practical for what I do. But then again, I'm sure the mood strikes from time to time for some people and they just gotta let it rip.

JWDubois

I bought a Schecter Hellraiser specifically to be my shred guitar, then found out there was nothing I could do with it that I can't do with my Strat or Tele.

zztomato

I have a shred guitar made by Greco. It's kind of a Ibanez copy from the 80's - shredder style 24 fret neck that's a bit fatter than an Ibanez but not by much- still pretty slim. Regular vintage style trem though. It's all apart right now or I'd post a picture.
It's a great playing guitar and makes me play much different than on all my other fat necked guitars. For that reason alone I think you are right; everyone should own a shredder. :aok

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
Let me say that I do understand where you're coming from (I think). I have plans over the horizon for such a guitar (more of a late '70's - early '80's shredder variety than a late '80's - early '90's). Humbucker and Floyd Rose? Yes. 24 frets with mega-high-output active humbuckers? No.

Serenity

While i do like some shred guitars, i shred perfectly well on traditional guitars too.

monwobobbo

sorry but no. if that isn't your style then no need for that type of guitar. played that type of guitar for many years but have stopped in recent years. can shred just fine on my strat or SG and although not really a "shred" guitar i have my BC Rich Eagle that can cover my 24 fret needs (no floyd or active pups though).

budglo58

Silver Supporting Member
Its not everyones cup o tea. I dont have nor do I intend to purchase one . My life is complete with 335s and strats.

ClassicLP

Charvel, a guitar that was made to play! Of course, this being tgp where guys have "feel" as a trump card excuse for a lack of technique and theory, shred guitars are not de rigor.

s2y

Charvel, a guitar that was made to play! Of course, this being tgp where guys have "feel" as a trump card excuse for a lack of technique and theory, shred guitars are not de rigor.
Agreed. When I was a kid, those shred/metal guitars seemed to play a lot easier than most vintage style guitars. Many years later, I figured out why they played better and applied those specs to other types of guitars.

Oddly enough, I picked up a Taylor 12 fret acoustic a few months ago. The action is so low that my fingers just fly.

filtersweep

I have been thinking of selling mine. It has EMGs- doesn't like my pedal board. My bandmates hate it- no matter what I play, they say it sounds too metal.

Trending Topics