• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Every single post in this thread...

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
[BEGIN PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT]

Especially with pedals, but also strings and lots of other things, every post should start with "I play a [guitar type] with [pickup types] thru a [amp type].

Anyone's recommendation of a certain gain pedal will vary madly depending on whether he is using a PRS, Strat or Les Paul - or a Humbucker, single coil, P90 or EMG. Also - thru a Fender champ or a Diesel?

It also matters what kind of music you like - do you tune down to C and do Norwegian Death Metal through a Bogner, or vamp a jazzy ES-335 thru a Fender Twin?

Sorry to point out the obvious, but it matters a lot. Unless you all already know each other and what kind of tone everyone who posts here likes. And here is another revelation - YouTube and average computer speakers are no way to really evaluate tone. Just changing the "equalizer" settings in your sound card will make everything you hear sound completely different.

Try it, right click the speaker icon on lower right toolbar; go "playback devices >> Properties >> enhancements >> equalizer (or environments).

bobbyatomic

Other people opinions, youtube videos, gear demos ect, can give you an idea of what somethings going to sound like, and that's the best you're going to get from the internet, I don't really understand what you want? Obviously unless you find your clone living on an identical earth on the dark side of the moon playing identical gear then there are going to be variations of opinion.

rbrogan

I'm looking for the best pedal tone for music playing. I want my amp to sound like more of the same amp, but louder, but not too loud in my bedroom, but can still be heard over 3 loud drummers. I play a stringed instrument through a wooden box with a speaker and some wires in it. There are also some glass bulb thingies in there that get real hot. The types of music I listen too are TGP sound clips, youtube gear demos at the lowest quality settings, and tan pants rants about how they don't make 'em like they used too.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
This comes up every week. The reality of the situation never changes and never will. Most people post one-word responses; they will not suddenly up their contribution 700%.

Reactions: Ivo

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
Best "solution" is to put your setup in your sig, but you can't see sigs via mobile.

TGP is great for general info and the occasional detailed discussions that can come up. But there is rarely total consensus on 'the best x, period' and you can never really know what works best until it works in your rig. Many do ask questions seemingly expectant of a definitive answer. And yes, they are often short on what gear they are using, what style of music they play and what they are trying to achieve. It's annoying but to me I'll put up with the annoyance because I learn a lot on this site and have a lot of fun.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Best "solution" is to put your setup in your sig, but you can't see sigs via mobile.

THIS ++++ - put it in your sig, it isn't that hard.

As for what I want? I just want to be able to read threads and actually get ideas of what a pedal sounds like because I know how the person writing applied them. There are literally hundreds of different pedals out there, and some of them are rare, expensive and hard to find. I see these threads that are 25 pages long about overdrives and I might read 50 different recommendations, but NONE of them are worthwhile for me unless I have some idea about what kind of tone you look for, and what you play on. THAT gives me a frame of reference for what you are saying. Without that, you might as well be like "Brick" looking around the room saying "I love lamp", "I love chair", "I love door."

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
But, I don't play just one guitar type, amp type, or music type. Good gear is good gear. Also, that's a lot of extra typing every time just to say you like something.

The real issue is the growing dependence on forum members to help people decide what pedals to buy, what pedals to keep, how to power them, what settings to use, and what order to put then in.

IMHO

Ivo

Doesn't really matter. Too many variables. Those who spend way too much time here or think they are god's gift to music because they play out once a week at "Joe's Tryhard Funk Club For Smarmy White Boys Who Say Unironically Say Stank" will find some way to dismiss any and all recommendations.

It's all bullsh*t. Unclench, have fun and don't take this place too seriously. :cool:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom