Every time I sell Helix...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Shades of Blue, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

I miss it dearly. Last year, I sold Helix and went with Stomp plus pedals. What I’m finding is that after building a board around Stomp, I am just using/needing more out of Stomp than what 6 banks will afford me. I’m considering selling my entire board and just going with Helix...AGAIN lol.

My chain right now is:

Xotic SP Comp > Timmy V3 > Walrus Warhorn > Dunlop Mini Volume > Stomp > Walrus Fathom Reverb

So, I’m using Helix for delay and I have to use an FX block for the Fathom. What I’m finding is that I actually prefer the Timmy in the Stomp, and I’m LOVING the KOT and POT models. I am just thinking that I’ve got overkill with the analog pedals, which I’m sure the tone advantage gets lost somewhere in the digital conversion, right? No? Yes? Lol

My big question is would you sell it all and go with full Helix, or just use what I have? I want to add another reverb and a delay, but by the time I do that I’ll be at the cost of Helix for everything. Seems limiting in a sense when Helix does it all.

The other question is of sound quality. Am I really gaining anything sound quality wise with analog pedals? Or, is Helix just so good that I won’t know the difference. I can’t tell a huge difference between what I’m using in Stomp, but surely some of your ears are better than mine....

Thoughts?

mikah912 and Guitardave like this.
  2. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I find that once I try to use more than a simple effect or two it's simpler to use the full Helix Floor. It's the most versatile and easy modeling/multi-effects solution I've owned. Analog pedals in front of it - or in the effect loops work really great. Over time I stopped using external pedals and just used the Helix drives.

But ultimately I went back to my analog pedals and board because I use so few effects it was easier for me. It wasn't a sound quality issue for me.

theroan, mbenigni, benxiwf and 3 others like this.
  3. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

To me, once you add pedals to the Stomp, you're almost at the same size/cost as a (used) floor, and have to have different power requirements and additional cables also, so, it's just not worth it. Although I've never had a stomp, this is just my opinion after thinking about it.

If those pedals are "must haves", then you have to just deal with that.

4. Shades of Blue

Well, that is exactly why I went with Stomp and pedals. My issue now though is that by the time I use my two main delays, a reverb, and the FX block, I’m left with 2 blocks. The only other way I see around it is to buy more pedals and add to my board, but I just don’t want to throw any more money at it. I think I can sell it all and pay for Helix.

Guitardave and Dan Desy like this.
  5. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

I think helix makes all kinds of sense!

But my first question is “why do you sell your helix so often?”

ucnick, Elantric and Watt McCo like this.
  6. Shades of Blue

You are 100% right where my head is at. Plus, I really want to run multiple amps in Helix and I just don’t have room. I think the revelation for me was using IRs with Stomp. Totally changed how I feel about the amp tones.

7. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Lol, I forgot about that part, you're right!

Shades of Blue likes this.
  8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

LOL - I literally went thru every iteration of this myself. Technically the next step is to go to Helix Rack and put all the analog stomps in the loops....or do the same thing with the Floor and build up a huge pedalboard. :eek:

I did all of those and then some! Helix Floor is the sh*t....

Shades of Blue likes this.
  9. Shades of Blue

Long story. Got a minute? I’m kidding.

It started with the new V3 Timmy, then it was the Walrus Warhorn, then the Fathom....next thing you know, I was like why the heck am I using all these pedals with full Helix. Sold Helix and replaced with Stomp, and I like my rig, but just not sure it is as versatile as full Helix. I mean, who needs a real Timmy right? Lol

Madmax25 and Guitardave like this.
  10. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I was considering the same but I love the size of my Stomp and PS170. I’m holding out to see if the 8 blocks get added in 3.0. If they do, that is more than enough for me.

11. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Member

I hear you. Pedals are sexy. But every time I get the itch to build a real board I have to stop and remind myself how much better the Helix is at doing all of that. No cabling, no power issues, no noise, flexible routing, snapshot controllers, multiple instances of pedals, etc, etc. And they all sound just as good as my analog equivalents did. I also have a Stomp, and it's great for light electric or acoustic shows where I don't need a lot of effects, but I can't see building a board around it, especially if it's going to be the same size or larger than my Helix Floor. Maybe if I already had a board investment and I was looking to go direct instead of into an amp...or a Kemper (or worse...stereo Kempers), then the Stomp on a board would make sense to me.

theroan, mbenigni, matw and 1 other person like this.
  12. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Stomp with HX FX :)

13. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

HX Effects plus external drive pedals for me.

Holzar88 and scook like this.
  14. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I’m still super annoyed with the size of the LT, but it’s likely the direction I’ll go next. I need more than the Stomp, but in a FM3 size. Ah well.

Madmax25 likes this.
  15. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

For me the big value is all the easy gig programmability and automation. Being able to quickly make presets for songs with all the effects dialed in perfectly for each part as a snapshot is the best thing to happen to live gear in a long time for me. Every time I look at adding external gear, I have to ask if it’s worth giving that up. So far, it hasn’t been and the helix floor gets the nod for just about everything. I still have a few amps and a bunch of pedals, but I use the floor 99% of the time.

I generally use just a very few rig templates as presets that everything is built off of, and one of them gets at least 80% of the use. The fact that I’m mimicking one of my favorite live rigs means I could just go back to using that rig. But with floor, I have other options easily available AND I have zero tap dancing or knob turning to do unless I just want to try something different. That’s why I use it, you may have different priorities.

D

mbenigni, gigs and EL34 like this.
  16. scook

scook Supporting Member

This is where I'm at right now as well.

Highway Man likes this.
  17. gumtown

gumtown Member

Try a Boss GT-1000

gpu likes this.
  18. Shades of Blue

I have to have amp modeling. Otherwise that would be a nice route.

19. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Ah! Iridium or Humboldt Simplifier?

dons likes this.
  20. Shades of Blue

By the time I add another $400, it just doesn’t make sense to me personally. Plus I don’t have room on the board unless I sell the Stomp, and then I lose all my delay and reverb.