Every time I sell Helix...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Shades of Blue, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:14 PM.

1. Ejay

Ejay Member

You don’t seem to have a clear view on what you like better...analog or digital, even though you have both to compare....that’s not a good starting point for switching “All in” to one side of the spectrum.
    You will end up going back and forth endlessly.

you actually have a good setup for hybrid!
    If you really must have a new toy, and really need even more stuff in your chain to open up slots...add something like a boss ms3...or something of the sorts....

2. moehuh

moehuh Member

Why are you using the reverb pedal in the Stomp loop and not just after it? Seems like you're running mono anyways and could save one block like this.

I own a Stomp myself and I'm very happy I didn't go full digital. I'm currently back to pedals and amps, but I can go back to amp modeling any time I want.

Keep in mind that each preamp stage reacts differently to your playing. I'm not a big fan of the Helix preamp/input stage and having one of my favorite overdrive pedals in front of it gives me a more "natural" feeling when playing. Soundwise, some pedals are very close (or even better).
    Digital stacking doesn't work well it seems to me. I like stacking drives, so I'm happy I kept mine.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  3. Foxmeister

Foxmeister Silver Supporting Member

If you are gigging, your audience almost certainly wouldn't be able to hear any differences in a mix, so if you can't discern a huge difference when isolated, does it matter?

Also, don't forget that the Stomp will be getting 8 blocks in the next "feature" firmware update (as opposed to bug fixes), so it is possibly better for you to wait until this drops before making any firm decision.

matw and Shades of Blue like this.
  4. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

I don't believe that for a second. The boutique pedal market is booming with new stuff coming out almost daily. That has to be because of some kind of demand.

With regards to OP, I've built my board around the HX Stomp and an Amplifire 3. I have considered many times to just switch to a Helix Floor and be done with it. And I would most likely be more than happy. One thing I'm not crazy about is the routing issues if you want to send one signal to FOH with cabs/IRs on and one to the FX return of an on stage amp with cabs/IRs off. There's no easy, global way of doing this as far as I can tell, unlike on the AA3. Besides, there's just something about the AA's amp modeling that really gels with me. I tried using the amp modelling in the Stomp instead but it was just always a little 'off'. Hence why it's 'reduced' to fx and preamp duty into the AA. Besides, I really like the visual and tangible qualities of pedals at my feet and the sweet click they make when I step on them... :D And whenever I see YT videos of the Helix, people very often end up using multiple paths and 3 EQs - mostly because they can, I guess. And I wouldn't want to do that, or be tempted to do that with my presets.

Which is ultimately why, if I WAS to go with a more 'all-in-one' solution, I would go with the Pod Go instead of the Helix LT or Floor.

5. -sku-

-sku- Member

I tend to agree with this but IMO Helix is not a convincing enough device for people to switch to digital. Folks who have only tried the Helix and found that modeling is not for them should try other, better digital solutions.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:21 AM
  6. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

I’m using the Fathom in the loop because it seems that is the best way to hook it up when I want to use modeling. Going into the amp that way would be fine, but it needs to be in the loop when using the stereo outs to my monitors.

I’ve noticed the digital stacking thing. Seems that the drives in Helix have more drive than their pedal counterparts. When stacked, it seems to get muddier and really gainy quickly. I went ahead and listed everything to see if I get any quick bites. But, I imagine that if I don’t act quickly on this, I will probably change my mind.

I also didn’t realize Stomp (THE Stomp...whatever) is getting 8 blocks. That sort of makes this all a non-issue for me now. 8 would be plenty for what I’m trying to do. My biggest issue with Helix is just drive and verb. I do seem to prefer analog drives, and I’ve thought about adding a Walrus Ages to add a 3rd drive. Also, I would like to sell Fathom and get the Big Sky since I love reverb so much. That might be a better setup to be honest.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    matw likes this.
  7. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Been very, very happy using a couple of boutique analog pedals into the loop of my GT-1000. Helix might be different but there's no tone loss or compromise that I can detect.

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I love amp modeling, but dude, pedalboards aren’t going anywhere. If anything, they’re increasing.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

IMHO most analog pedals sound and impart a character to the perceived "feel" - because we have been schooled on here that there really isn't any concept of "feel" with MI gear - that is simply better.
    My Caline Pure Sky ($35 clone of Timmy) sounded and "felt" better in front (or instead of) any digital modeled version.
    You can spend hours doing A/B testing and stand up and be like "Yes, that literally sounds exactly the same and I can't tell the difference".
    Then walk away for an hour, come back and be like "What am I nuts!" - the pedal is simple and sounds killer.

All of that being said, a full pedalboard is a chore (IMHO). The board, velcro, cabling, power, integration with digital, etc. At first it's kind of fun and the searching and seeking is ok (even though you still lose your ass flipping pedals, just slower).
    Digital is "close enough" in most cases.

10. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

Yes have an HXS and use pedals. There’s something about the Helix drive pedals that isn’t right to me. I’ve A/B’d some with the real thing and the tonal color is there but they don’t respond the same. I’m also not blown away by the amps. The upside is the size and some of the other effects are pretty good. In short, it’s practical.

Since I use pedals I’ll never get a fullsize Helix because they’re much too big. It makes sense if you go all digital but once you add something else it gets unwieldy fast.

11. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

It seems to me you're constantly looking for something new/different to spice up your playing. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But fifteen iterations of Helix is kinda like trying every jar of strawberry jelly you can get your hands on but never giving raspberry a shot. If there is an actual point to flipping your pedalboard for (another) Helix floor go for it. If it's just a matter of being bored with what you've had and looking to spice things up...maybe try a different spice for a change.

yeky83, PaisleyWookie and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

GT-1000 into a Fender ToneMaster :)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  13. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Have you heard the Quad Cortex?

Watt McCo likes this.
  14. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

I'm sure it'll arrive, bug free, right on time!! Better sell now before your modeler, no matter what it is, loses 1000% of its resale value!!

Foxmeister, mikah912, kdm1218 and 2 others like this.
  15. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly.

16. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Or.....just play some guitar. :D

Watt McCo likes this.
  18. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I have seen several posts from players who have said they have given up the pedal board for a multi-effects unit. Seeing there are thousands of these being sold, I don't know how pedals are increasing. They have got to be losing sales to the Helix and others.

19. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Granted, not everyone will like one type or another. There are lots of good ones to choose from. I liked the Roland VG-99 but they stopped making that one.

20. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

For gigging, HELIX.

For recording, I have a board with it for oddball fuzz tones. And because I have really good versions of the fuzzes that’s I like.

matw likes this.