Everyone here that can't shred sucks

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
My musicianship (not just my playing) improved when I finally came to grips with a piece of advice once given to me: "Play like you having something to say, not something to prove". It made all the difference in the world. Our band became a much better band, and I would like to think I became a much better player.

CJReaper

You know what's going to help contribute to "The Death of Guitar"??? All this toxic tribalism bull*hit! Will the "Shredders vs Da Blooze" ever end? Geeze, just appreciate what each has to offer and be glad you don't have bigger problems, like trying to escape North Korea...

mjross

"I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot." - Vim Fuego

So what! He wrote the f****** song... Chew on that!

mjross

My musicianship (not just my playing) improved when I finally came to grips with a piece of advice once given to me: "Play like you having something to say, not something to prove". It made all the difference in the world. Our band became a much better band, and I would like to think I became a much better player.
Lefties Rule!

Reactions: bgh

rickcard71

I wish I could play like this kid. That guitar is awesome BTW, except for the headstock. Anyone know what guitar that is? I wouldn't ming buying one of those and putting a Start neck on it.

GulfportBound

I could shred once upon a time, even if I wasn't a metal player.

Then came a car accident in 1992 in which the impact smashed my fretting hand against the hard armrest of my car. It broke two bones and, when the bones re-set, I'd lost considerable dexterity
in the hand.

I just shook it off in due course, re-taught myself how to play, and even if I couldn't shred it anymore I figured out you could play well enough and make good enough music even if you couldn't
go Road Runner up and down a fretboard anymore. I've managed to get a little speed back, but only a little, enough to use wisely, I hope.

mjross

I could shred once upon a time, even if I wasn't a metal player.

Then came a car accident in 1992 in which the impact smashed my fretting hand against the hard armrest of my car. It broke two bones and, when the bones re-set, I'd lost considerable dexterity
in the hand.

I just shook it off in due course, re-taught myself how to play, and even if I couldn't shred it anymore I figured out you could play well enough and make good enough music even if you couldn't
go Road Runner up and down a fretboard anymore. I've managed to get a little speed back, but only a little, enough to use wisely, I hope.
You do not have to shred to be a good guitar player! Some of the best guitar players can not shred nor do they want to. I once auditioned a guy that could shred his ass off but absolutely could not play in the confines of a full band. Great player but I’ve never seen him play in a band.

GulfportBound

You do not have to shred to be a good guitar player! Some of the best guitar players can not shred nor do they want to. I once auditioned a guy that could shred his ass off but absolutely could not play in the confines of a full band. Great player but I’ve never seen him play in a band.
Amen, brother!

It's great to play fast but it's more important to play beautifully. Otherwise you'll have a room full of guys and not a woman in the house.---Carlos Santana.

Brutus

Amen, brother!

It's great to play fast but it's more important to play beautifully. Otherwise you'll have a room full of guys and not a woman in the house.---Carlos Santana.
That’s funny. I worked up a somewhat sleazy double stop bend and sneaked it into a song we were playing at a friend’s wedding a long time ago. Sure enough, the girls on the dance floor “got” it. I wish to hell I could remember what I played. I might be able to market it.

Pitar

Hmmm. I've never met anyone who copped this tude about his fine self. I do hear the anti-noise abatement, undaunted acne crowd at stores time to time. I don't have a clue about their musicality but if the noise I hear is it then our opinions about musicianship are better left undiscussed. I duck into the classical room to fawn and fap nylon for a time so I don't hear much from the general population of spark chasers.

Music isn't a competition in the heart but it is in the mind. We say that art is for everyone but we think exclusively about it. No matter where you look you see the results of competition. Museums are full of it. What about all those sculptures from all those unknown sculptors that didn't make the grade? B-grade art throughout the ages - where is it? Was Michelangelo the only sculptor in Rome?

I think competition rules the day, life, history of man. It's what propels us forward and we do embrace it in the positive sense. It's only when we discover we're b-grade that we have a problem with it, as well as a problem with anyone who thinks that way.

As a guitar player there was a time in my learning curve I was proud of my progress and happy to showcase it. Then, as I got better I became acutely aware of what I did (do) not know and showcasing became more about revealing my limitations. So, I cut my losses and stopped showcasing altogether. The occasional open mic is okay but I won't do the for-hire stuff. Nor do I need to to have fun with the art form.

GulfportBound

That’s funny. I worked up a somewhat sleazy double stop bend and sneaked it into a song we were playing at a friend’s wedding a long time ago. Sure enough, the girls on the dance floor “got” it. I wish to hell I could remember what I played. I might be able to market it.
You've got to hate when you come up with something brilliant and then can't remember it.

shane8

Why are we quoting posts from 2009?
the internet never forgets

shredding is by n large pretty boring ….. even YJM who is a genius gets boring after a few minutes

it's the song that matters & 99%/shredders couldn't write a decent song to save 'emselves

having said that being able to shred is a good thing but y'all shouldn't do it in public very often

eurotrashed

You sound just like the people you are so upset with. No wonder you can't stand them. You are basically doing the same thing but just coming at it from the other side.
Yeah, that sounds like 22 year old me...

Why is this 9 year old rant active again?

panther_king

Do people still say 'shredding' and 'whammy bars' now? I thought we'd moved to the point where we could actually identify the technique, rather than just semi-caustically categorizing stuff.

I mean, I get 'too many kids focus on tapping' or 'if I have to listen to a 12 year old try to sweep, or fail at glissando, I'm going to lose it'. Everyone starts out, and it takes lots of practice to get to where it sounds good, or to get to the point at which they learn some restraint. All we should do at that point is be saying 'keep going dude - you'll get there'.

Saying 'Pssh - shredders - you just don't get it...'? That's not helpful to anyone.