• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Everything sounds the same

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Pickup demos, guitar demos, pedal demos - everything on YouTube and Instagram sounds exactly the same.
So clean, produced, neutered, generic. I can't tell any overdrive from the next.

It's kind of a GAS killer. Good for me I guess.

Check you ears out - now I won't say there is much difference between guitars, pedals and amps - but there is enough to notice.

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
Check you ears out - now I won't say there is much difference between guitars, pedals and amps - but there is enough to notice.
I won't say that either, but a musical difference? Everything I've heard lately is similar enough so that it really doesn't matter (to me). Or at least it's recognizeable enough that I can listen to a few seconds, disregard and move on with my day. I wonder if it has to do with a bunch of YouTubers or players using the same software or DI recording methods.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I won't say that either, but a musical difference? Everything I've heard lately is similar enough so that it really doesn't matter (to me). Or at least it's recognizeable enough that I can listen to a few seconds, disregard and move on with my day. I wonder if it has to do with a bunch of YouTubers or players using the same software or DI recording methods.

Not really - there isn't a whole lot difference - you know some boost do a little more - amps distort a little more or less - choruses are kind of different - but over all it is just a head game with people believing what they want to believe. Some things do stand out - Deluxe Reverbs for example - but they are just the best of the bunch.

metrokosmiko

Silver Supporting Member
What kind of output system are you using to listen to all this?
AKG K-99s, HyperX gaming headset, a Boom 3 or a set of old desktop pc speakers (left, right and woofer). I think all of us here probably can tell apart the device's sonic footprint from what we're actually listening to at this point.

mici

Pickup demos, guitar demos, pedal demos - everything on YouTube and Instagram sounds exactly the same.
So clean, produced, neutered, generic. I can't tell any overdrive from the next.

I might agree with you to some extent.

I have noticed this issue especially when it comes to amplifiers demos in high-gain territory. Sometimes, some folks make every amp sound if not literally the same, then at least too similar to tell the difference. You know what I mean - suddenly an Orange sounds identically to Mesa, and Mesa sounds pretty much the same as Marshall.

Baskervils

I think that this is more true than not. I also agree that it may be time to go ZVex, DBA and Mid-Fi.

Trying to sound generic enough for a Spotify playlist is a bad artistic goal.

Hawkmoon269

Irrational BOSS Fanatic
Silver Supporting Member
Overdrives are kind of same-y to begin with. If you play a blues driver side to side with a tubescreamer I can easily tell them apart. If you play a guitar lick out of the blue and then ask whether they used a blues driver or a tubesscreamer I would really have no idea. It just sounds like an overdriven guitar.

Gemini2

Kind of true. But I believe the tone is the hands of the tweaker. I’ve seen the same gear by one sound incredible and then awfully horrid by someone else. So not exactly the same.

Too much gain from a distortion box and everything starts to sound the same. At least to me.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
A lot of gear is kinda chasing the same tones. That's one of the reasons I like the oddball stuff like ZVex, Death By Audio and Lastgasp Art Laboratories.
I think this hits on a lot of it, gear designed to chase the exact same well known tones. That being said, even with just computer speakers, but definitely with earphones, some things will stand out. So even if looking for pickups for a certain rock sound, or a pedal for a certain type of OD, there are ones that you don't find pleasing, a large bunch in the middle that are all OK but sound similar, and then a few that jump out and you say "Oh I need to hear more of that!"

Kind of true. But I believe the tone is the hands of the tweaker. I’ve seen the same gear by one sound incredible and then awfully horrid by someone else. So not exactly the same.

Too much gain from a distortion box and everything starts to sound the same. At least to me.
This is a great point as well. We've all seen the pickup demos of "I love these pickups, check them out!" Then the person proceeds to put them through tons of gain/distortion plus other stuff, dials it to sound like their favorite player, then does riffs. Uh OK, but can I actually hear the pickup first?

placebo62

Silver Supporting Member
There is one guy on youtube who has been doing guitar demos for a while now, not super highly produced but he has the ability to make every single guitar sound pretty much identical. No variety in playing style doesn't help. He does demo some really nice looking guitars though. 1 fresh bagel to anyone who can guess who I'm talking about.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom