• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

EVH 1984 tone with JTM45 possible?

I really dig Eddie's tone on the 1984 album. Anyone succeeded at dialing that in with a JTM45ish amp? Or, does it require something different?

airwarrior

You might be able to get there with a boost. I think a lot of it lies in playing style and technique though.

airwarrior

Well, he actually was using pedals at the time (Phasers), and he wasn't using a JTM45 either.

I was just saying that you may be able to push a JTM45 into that territory by using a boost, but that most of the sound lies in Eddies playing style.

I hear you. I was talking about the nature of the overdrive not being from a pedal, but from the amp. First album was different in that regard, but after that it sounds like power tube distortion to me.

At least that's what I think I hear... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to learn, not act knowledgeable.. :)

Well, he actually was using pedals at the time (Phasers), and he wasn't using a JTM45 either.

I was just saying that you may be able to push a JTM45 into that territory by using a boost, but that most of the sound lies in Eddies playing style.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Nope.

Way wrong almost everything. The JTM is essentially a 'bass' spec amp. It's thicker. The filtering and capacitor values are going to be quite different. Plus if its running KT66's, the output section overdrive characterist is going to be far too different.

I had a JTM45 clone with EL34's hopeing I'd get some of that type of tone. Nope. couldn't get there. It's just too different IMO.

I've got a kit amp I'm thinking of reworking to be more in line with that EVH tone. It's the Egnater seminar amp that is (mostly) a JTM45 circuit. I'd love to have suggestions for a circuit (as simple as possibe given my hobbyist expertise) that can nail that sound.

jcs

hmm, you need a solid state rectifier,more filtering and some sylvania big bottle 6ca7 power tubes added to that circuit which will make it closer to a plexi 50.

i agree that probably isnt the amp to use for the 1984 sound.

also,lets not forget eddie did use eq pedals in the early days and there were several guitars used as well.

soldano16

I found a pretty big difference between my JTM45 and my JMP's. Almost as different as they are the same.

tfaith08

Ive tried to get that tone from marshalls, peaveys, mesas, fender, krank, and to be honest, the closest was the cheapest. Even the stock marshalls didnt really sound too much like his tone to me. With anything less than a hot rodded marshall, its like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. The closest ive ever gotten was a RG100 raven 2x12 with a jackson DKMG and a 59' model seymour duncan in the bridge. For the money you'll probably put into the amp getting what you want, you can buy the raven. its only 300 from guitar center, and it really does sound amazing. After that, throw a 59' in the bridge position on your guitar. You should have it. depending on the guitar, get an eq. Heck, dont take my word for it, go check it out at guitar center. But there is one thing. You may get the tone, but you probably wont be able to replicate the song. What everybody says about your technique is very very true. it can make or break it

Trending Topics