EVH 5150 El 34 100 Watter. Anyone loving it?

fechart

I did a search and it seems people owning this amp are too busy playing it, they don't write about it! :)

I'd like to read your opinions, comparisons, etc. I own it since a few months ago, had troubles with it due to a bad speakers/cabinets combination that ruined the amp's tone. But I got myself a 4x12 Marshall 1960tv cab loaded with Greenbacks and sh*t, this amp kicks serious a*s!

I previously owned a 6l6 50 watter, and I find the EL34 really different, much better overall. Not so silky, more raw, with lots of grain and sizzle, despite it remains tight.

Are you digging yours?

fechart

I’d be interested in playing through one but haven’t seen one in person yet. It does look like a killer amp though.
It's a killer amp indeed. Wonderful clean channel and blue & red are firebreathers... Aggressive, very midrangey, lots of bass and a sizzling grain that makes it raw, despite it has its quote of compression. Only thing I wish it had a better response to dynamics/guitar volume.

PS: it can't do early Van Halen, but it's closer than the 6l6

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
I'd love to try one. Haven't seen one in the wild yet though. I love that whole series of amplifiers, especially the hundred Watters, they are fun to play.
The first run of the 5150 III 100 Watter reminded me a lot of my old Bogner uberschall. Very powerful.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome amp! Massive headshell! I had one for a few months and loved every minute of it! All three channels sound great. Resonance controls are great for fine tuning the low end with your cab. I’ve had the mini years back and have tried the regular 100. This one was my favorite by far.

v-verb

the EL34 version is in my local store. I've been really happy with my Helios 100 so I haven't been checking the other hi gainers but I should. Have to drag my butt to Fortin's shop which is 5 mins away one day

fechart

the EL34 version is in my local store. I've been really happy with my Helios 100 so I haven't been checking the other hi gainers but I should. Have to drag my butt to Fortin's shop which is 5 mins away one day
Helios 100 rules for sure! Different from the EVH EL34... As I said before the EVH lacks of response to picking dynamics and guitar volume, if that issue was improved it wouldn't be a really good amp, it would just be a *great* amp!

Big_Al

I love mine! Great at low volume practice levels. I can get pretty close to early VH tones with it on the blue channel.

fechart

I love mine! Great at low volume practice levels. I can get pretty close to early VH tones with it on the blue channel.
Kinda surprising for me... Mine screams gimme volume! Lol. Starts sounding good after 9 o'clock. Is yours the 100 watter?

Big_Al

Kinda surprising for me... Mine screams gimme volume! Lol. Starts sounding good after 9 o'clock. Is yours the 100 watter?
Yep, it is a 100 watter. Lately can only practice after getting the kids in bed so I have to be at low volumes. Don't get me wrong, it does want more volume but I am very happy with this amp.
For me, the key to this amp is using the EVH 4x12 cab and matching up the right pickups/guitar.

fechart

For me, the key to this amp is using the EVH 4x12 cab and matching up the right pickups/guitar.
Yeah, those EVH 412s are amazing. I have this Marshall 1960tv that's good too, and 2 EVH 212s loaded with Celestion EVHs (I'm doing WDW right now). Maybe I'll install the EVH speakers in the Marshall (which has the stock Greenbacks), and toss back some G12H30s in those 212s... Celestion EVHs don't sound good in the 212s with this amp. Cabs got really dark and congested after the speakers swap.

Regarding pickups/guitars you're right, IMO this amp likes low/medium output pickups, which give you that plus of clarity and articulation (and less mids!).

I guess I'm lucky for being able to play this amp with a lot of volume. I don't have my stuff at home, I play in a building's basement without neighbors around. Wife and little daughter wouldn't approve lol!

Pulf

I have not played one of these, but I did see Buckethead in concert over the weekend and he was using the EL34 50 Watt version I believe. He sounded immense. Incredible clean and gain tones.

milli vanilli

I tried a 50 watt version, had a hard time dialing in tone that didn't start to fizz...but I didn't spend enough time with it so I'd like to give it another try when I have more time, as looking at it on paper it is right up my alley in terms of what should work for me. The only thing I can say for sure is that I really dislike how the power and standby switches are behind the head, that is really inconvenient... It is on my list though and I plan on trying again...

fechart

I tried a 50 watt version, had a hard time dialing in tone that didn't start to fizz...but I didn't spend enough time with it so I'd like to give it another try when I have more time, as looking at it on paper it is right up my alley in terms of what should work for me. The only thing I can say for sure is that I really dislike how the power and standby switches are behind the head, that is really inconvenient... It is on my list though and I plan on trying again...
Hi, the EL34 versions are different from 6l6 regarding treble. I previously owned the 50w 6l6 and it was super fizzy, especially with the stock 2x12 cabs. I used to dial the Presence knob at less than 9 o'clock at rehearsal volume, but you can't really get rid of it. It's trebly in the very high freqs.

The EL34 versions have lots of sizzle, but not fizz. Plexi-like sizzle if that makes sense... It's like a crunchy sizzling grain going on, and I absolutely love that, makes the tone very aggresive with a lot of grind. But it depends a lot on the cab/speakers combination, the matching 2x12 cab for the 50w EL34 is exactly the same as the 6l6, just with the gold logos. Those cabs are *really* trebly. If you plug into an EVH 412 cab you'll find a noticeable difference.

There's something funky about the Presence knobs taper on the EL34 (I'm talking about the 100W, don't know about the 50W). From zero to noon they do absolutely NOTHING. From noon to 3 o'clock things start getting trebly, and from there it's just ridiculous amount of fizz. I dial them at 11 o'clock just as a placebo effect lol. Same tone as zero, but all those 3 knobs at zero feel awkward!

Trending Topics