EVH 5150 III 50 W with 2 EL 34 valves... Possible?

fechart

I have the 50 w head and two 212 cabs. Is it possible to change the 6l6s of the power section for el34s? If it is, I'd do it with a tech of course, but I'd like to know if I have to change other components.

Anybody did this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on it. Chances are that the PT cannot provide sufficient filament current and that the grids would likely be overtaxed on the EL34s. Incidentally though there's a rumour of a 5150 IV to be released soon, which is built around the EL34. I'd get one of those to be on the safe side.

I'm positive that the III can be converted though but it requires a skilled tech and quite a few replacement parts, some of which to be fitted onto tight spots of PCB. Question is if the reward is going to be worth the hassle.

The other way around would have been a breeze.

fechart

Spoke with many people about this, including my tech. Everybody says it's not worthy, the change would be subtle... Or noticeable only at high volumes.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
There's a pretty long explanation from Howard Kaplan about why this will not work , try other 6l6 tubes or add an EQ in the loop if you want a different flavor...

fechart

I'll do it much easier... I'll try swapping V1 for a 12AT7. Less gain, warmer tone. At least is what my tech says! Anyway, if I don't like it I'll put the 6l6 again.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
I modded a Marshall from 6550's to 34's because I love the EL 34 tone.

It sounded better with the 6550's !

DOH! !!!

fechart

There's a pretty long explanation from Howard Kaplan about why this will not work , try other 6l6 tubes or add an EQ in the loop if you want a different flavor...
I use the Para EQ of my G System to shape the tone, but I would like to achieve a less gainy and warmer tone on channel 2. I'm not comfortable with the idea that I must eq the amp to get the tone I like... I know I won't get the early van halen vibe with the 5150 III, but anyway, I'd like a tone more in that direction... Also the amp has a kind of fizz around 10k that I hate... I already swapped speakers in my two 212s, and the overall tone got better, but I'd like to improve it as much as possible.

Cheers mate!

Trending Topics