EVH 5150 iii 50 Watt 6L6 - Hiss and channel pop normal?

shane1111

See youtube video link below...Brand new 5150 iii 50 watt 6L6...new speaker cable, new instrument cable straight into amp, cab 8 ohms amp head set at 8 ohms, Volume at 4 on all channels. Is this much hiss with guitar volume at zero and the terrible popping between channels when switching normal?

Just trying to determine if I got a lemon with a bad tube or other issue...or if this is normal. Anyone with a 5150 iii that can help me out?

Thanks!

shane1111

Yeah, agreed, completely unusable, notice that the gain is at 2 on the high gain channel? In a band situation at volume 5 with gain even half way it would be a disaster...anyone with a 5150 iii to compare with me?

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Not normal.
I've been gigging the same amp for over a year and it's almost dead silent.

If you listen to the first few seconds of this video you'll hear how quiet it is before I start playing.

shane1111

HoboMan, thanks for the video! thats encouraging....how about when switching channels? You don't have that weird popping like mine? Also, have you ever used the effects loop, I was getting a weird volume drop when engaging the effects loop too..

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
HoboMan, thanks for the video! thats encouraging....how about when switching channels? You don't have that weird popping like mine? Also, have you ever used the effects loop, I was getting a weird volume drop when engaging the effects loop too..
I haven't switched channels in a long time (I'm always on the Blue) but back when I did I don't recall any popping noise. I have a rehearsal tomorrow. I'll use my 5150 and try switching channels and report back.

I do use the effects loop all the time. I run a boss EQ pedal thru the loop that I use solely as a volume boost. No volume drops at all. The effects loop works great and I love that you can turn it on & off with the footswitch.

It sounds like you may just have a bad tube. Did you try pulling them out and reseating them?

I love this amp. I also love the fact that it's very affordable but even if it cost more I would still buy one and use it. It's so versatile.

shane1111

HoboMan, sounds good, yeah if you dont mind cranking volume to 4 or so and seeing if you get a popping when changing channels. Hmm yeah, between the popping, effects loop volume drop and seriously loud hum somethings got to be up. I actually boxed it up and returned it today, I'm exchanging for another that comes Tuesday.

So your dead sure that humming in my video yours dosent do? It didnt look like it from your video I cranked it up..thanks for your help!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
HoboMan, sounds good, yeah if you dont mind cranking volume to 4 or so and seeing if you get a popping when changing channels. Hmm yeah, between the popping, effects loop volume drop and seriously loud hum somethings got to be up. I actually boxed it up and returned it today, I'm exchanging for another that comes Tuesday.

So your dead sure that humming in my video yours dosent do? It didnt look like it from your video I cranked it up..thanks for your help!
I watched your video again. Looks like the humming gets really loud on the red channel. I never use the red channel but I'll give it a try tomorrow and post back.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
OK, I just tested mine and comparing to your video.
On mine the red channel does have quite a bit of his, similar to your video. I've never noticed because I never use the red channel. The his did get a lot lower as I turned down the gain.
My blue and green channels seem quieter that yours and I have zero noise/popping when I switch channels with the footswitch.

Hope that helps.

Axe-Man

They can be pretty hissy amps. All those gain stages amplify any noise.

New tubes can help. I had a 6505+ and it was very noisy (HISSSSSSSS). 3 new preamp tubes were a big improvement but it wasn't exactly a low noise amp even then (it seemed pretty reasonable though then). My current 5150 II (same circuit) with low noise tubes has little to no hiss (I can't even hear hiss playing quietly).

The pop is a bit of a problem though as it's a SS loop. I'd send the amp back myself (contact the shop and send them the video of the popping and hissing) and confirm the shop checks the next one for pops as that's not something fixable with a preamp tube swap.

shane1111

Guys thanks for the help, Hoboman, I would kinda of expect this amount of noise from the red channel...but how was your blue and green..any of this type of noise from them?

Axe-man, yeah, I expect some hiss, but I have a boss ns-2 suppressor im running through the front of the amp and even that dosent cut it at all... at volume 2.5-3 standing 10 feet away from amp with suppressor running even the lower gain blue channel was unusable screeching and hissing.. and agreed on the popping when switching, bad news...

I dont have any flueroscent lights in my house and am using the same electric source that Ive run my 100 watt tube carvin v3 and blackstar tube head off of for years with no problems...

Hoping this isnt normal or ill be sending another evh 5150 back when it arrives Tuesday...ugh

Vanilla Latte

Mine (50W 6L6 V2) was dead silent on green and blue, with some slight hiss on red. No popping on channel switching.

I've seen similar complaints on other forums. You might have a bad pre-amp tube, but if it's new I would just box it up and send it back.

Edit: They are amazing amps.....I wouldn't let this stop you from re-ordering another one.

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
I have a boss ns-2 suppressor im running through the front of the amp and even that dosent cut it at all.
The hiss is coming from the preamp stage so you need to run the NS-2 in the FX loop before any delay and reverb pedals, not out front. Out front all it does is quiet any noise coming from your guitar or overdrive pedals. In the loop it will kill the high gain hiss from the amp.

shane1111

Mine (50W 6L6 V2) was dead silent on green and blue, with some slight hiss on red. No popping on channel switching.

I've seen similar complaints on other forums. You might have a bad pre-amp tube, but if it's new I would just box it up and send it back.

Edit: They are amazing amps.....I wouldn't let this stop you from re-ordering another one.
Vanilla Latte, thanks for the input! Hoping I just got a dud...was super excited as I had a friend who used to have a 100 watt evh and I fell in love with it...fingers crossed

shane1111

The hiss is coming from the preamp stage so you need to run the NS-2 in the FX loop before any delay and reverb pedals, not out front. Out front all it does is quiet any noise coming from your guitar or overdrive pedals. In the loop it will kill the high gain hiss from the amp.
Gotchya, every day is a school day...thanks for the info. ill re run the noise gate..regardless unfortunately the evh I had was literally unusable...ide say 35-40 dbs of humming without a guitar even plugged in, can plug my carvin v3 all tube into same exact outlet, pedal board, cables and have zero ambient noise at literally half volume and thats a 100 watt amp...

Jabby92

OK, I just tested mine and comparing to your video.
On mine the red channel does have quite a bit of his, similar to your video. I've never noticed because I never use the red channel. The his did get a lot lower as I turned down the gain.
My blue and green channels seem quieter that yours and I have zero noise/popping when I switch channels with the footswitch.

Hope that helps.
I could be mistaken, but the hiss could be the noise floor of these amps?

shane1111

I could be mistaken, but the hiss could be the noise floor of these amps?
I would certainly hope not, volume at 4 and gain at 5 high gain channel and 7 on clean and low gain channel...I'm used to the "hey the amp is on and working" hum..but this was intense...like in between songs or quiet parts in songs at gigs would be embarrassing...hoping they just broke a tube etc during shipping

Axe-Man

The 5153 can have considerable hiss. It frankly has a silly amount of gain on Red but it shouldn't be embarrassing. I had a 6505+ that hissed badly when I got it but 3 preamp tubes later it was MUCH better. Still was a hissy amp (I've used to very quiet high gain amps) even when idling with no cord in the front. My 5150 II for example is extremely quiet even boosted. Some amps are worse than others and some tubes are better too.

I don't recall my 5153s being that hissy (it's been a few years) so I'd suggest you got a dud (or damaged amp). But, if you do look on YouTube and research it, you'll find lots of hiss complaints.

I would certainly hope not, volume at 4 and gain at 5 high gain channel and 7 on clean and low gain channel...I'm used to the "hey the amp is on and working" hum..but this was intense...like in between songs or quiet parts in songs at gigs would be embarrassing...hoping they just broke a tube etc during shipping

shane1111

The 5153 can have considerable hiss. It frankly has a silly amount of gain on Red but it shouldn't be embarrassing. I had a 6505+ that hissed badly when I got it but 3 preamp tubes later it was MUCH better. Still was a hissy amp (I've used to very quiet high gain amps) even when idling with no cord in the front. My 5150 II for example is extremely quiet even boosted. Some amps are worse than others and some tubes are better too.

I don't recall my 5153s being that hissy (it's been a few years) so I'd suggest you got a dud (or damaged amp). But, if you do look on YouTube and research it, you'll find lots of hiss complaints.

Thanks for the info. we will know tomorrow the new 5153 arrives! Unless of course I get a second damaged one...I highly suspect something was wrong with that one, with volume on the blue channel at half and gain at 5 the amp was unusable with the amount of squeal/ feedback...seemed like blue channel was low on gain too strangely, compared to what ive been seeing in videos. Red channel sounded great as did clean, but the hissing/humming, channel popping when changing, effects loop volume drop were a serious problem..

shane1111

Good news the replacement 5153 50 watt that I received is much better!... the hiss/hum/feedback is much more manageable and gigable on this one...popping when switching channels is also significantly reduced...Its a keeper...

One minor issue still, when engaging my effects loop I am getting a minor volume drop and loss of sustain and "balls"...see video below.. my signal chain for effects is effects send > Boss super chorus > Boss digital reverb > Boss digital delay ... I ran instrument cable from effects send directly to the return and it was fine...any ideas?

Trending Topics