Evh 5150 Iii 50 Watt V2 - Wow!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ToneChaser1, Jul 18, 2018.

1. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

It's an under the radar rock amp because it's being touted as a Metal amp.
    It's a killer amp for just about any genre of music.

LCW, Buckeyedog and Hamer95USA like this.
  2. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

The 5150 III 50 watt amp with the non concentric volume knobs on Ch. 1 & 2 should be priced accordingly as it requires the concentric volume knob upgrade from Fender to make them more useful like the newer version with concentric volume knobs already installed on Ch.1 & 2. The concentric volume knob upgrade for the early 5150 III 50 watt amp heads is around $200 for parts & labor.

Guitar George

LCW, Holzar88, HoboMan and 1 other person like this.
  3. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Supporting Member

I just got one of these also. Had about $300+ in Amazon money so ordered a new one that came from Music Zoo. I had the original 50 watt 6L6. The unbalanced channels frustrated me. This one is much better. It has a lot of gain. I keep it on the blue channel about 2 for a good crunchy hard rock sound. Red I run a little hotter, great for leads and don't need a pedal.I played it at band rehearsal pretty darn loud and I noticed I had to bump the gain up as the volume went up so I ended up around 4. It sounds good loud and the channels can be balanced out perfectly. It' a very good amp. It doesn't have the character of some other pricier amps, but it holds it's own, covers a lot of ground relatively cheap and is a lot of fun to play.

Hamer95USA, Buckeyedog and HoboMan like this.
  4. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I read long time ago he got his "Brown Sound" by powering his Marshalls thru a Variac where he dialed the voltage down to 85% which starved the tubes resulting in a warmer tone. I don't recall what tubes he had in those heads but I think the sound they are trying to reproduce now with this new version head was more due to him using the Variac rather than the types of tubes the head had back then.

5. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Any of you guys that prefer the el34 version? How do the cleans compare to the 6l6? I play strats and Tele’s Darker may be a good thing for me.

6. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

Anyone with a 50w 6L6 running it into a V30 loaded 2x12?

7. LCW

LCW Supporting Member

I guess I've answered my own question... ;) lol

8. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

This is not Stealth 'voiced' though correct? I've had the 50w 6L6 and gen 1 100w version and my new 6L6 Stealth has a much better ch2.
    Ch 1 is great for Strat Blues tones.

Curious about a 50w El34 Stealth voiced or no?

9. twotone

twotone Member

What kind of cabinet are you using? I love that midrange honk.:)

10. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Glad to know there is a Version 2. Now I know which one to stalk. I'm having visions....of an ivory 50 watt head + matching 2x12 cab. Yep, I can see that happening. :beer May not keep the V30s, but the amp rocks.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  11. HoboMan

It's a Jet City 2x12 cab loaded with Carvin branded Eminence speakers. I believe they're Eminence Legends.
    The speakers sound great. I discovered them several years ago and am always on the lookout for more.
    They stay tight on the lows, have bright mids and smooth highs. They are very lightweight and efficient. Very loud.

12. HoboMan

Never gave two thoughts to this amp but several years ago I was at Guitar Center and there was a guitar cable hooked up to one. I grabbed a guitar off the wall, plugged in and was immediately blown away.

Went home and did some research and saw that a lot of people didn't care for the amp because the clean and OD 1 channels shared the same volume and MV. There was an aftermarket mod but it required sending the amp to be modified.

Earlier this year I was browsing the Emporium here and saw a version II model for sale at a great price. I didn't even know there was a version II with independent volume and gain knobs for all three channels. I bought it right away and couldn't be happier. Just an amazing friggin' amp.

I play in a couple of bands that cover Pop, Country, Classic Rock and Hard Rock. I can live on the Blue channel and using my guitar's volume knob cover it all but having a fantastic clean channel is a nice added bonus. I never use the high gain channel. Sounds great and I hear that metal players love it.

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  13. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

The 212 has H-30's I believe. But I also have the 50 watter and really like it. I picked up the EVH 412 and it's a great match. Like HoboMan, I'm a bues, rock, hard rock guy and it works great for me.

HoboMan likes this.
  14. Brettski

Brettski Member

Someone near me has one of the older ones for sale for dirt cheap because it needs a new "power supply" which to me sounds like "transformers and tubes and whatever else broke when I dropped it." It's a total crapshoot but i'm thinking about picking one up. This thread might have pushed me over the edge.

If this goes awry, I'm blaming you jerks.

15. HoboMan

How cheap is "dirt cheap"?
    I got mine from the emporium for $650 shipped and it was only a few months old.

16. Brettski

Brettski Member

He's asking $250 and the ad's been up for months. The thing's sitting there broken, collecting dust. Given the chunk taken out of the upper front edge of the head case (i.e. "you dropped it, didn't you") and the unknown problems, I'd maybe buy it for $100 or maybe $150.

HoboMan likes this.
  17. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I had the first version of the amp and it is a pretty good amp. Midi control just takes it to the next level and makes me wonder why other amps in that price range don't offer the same features...

Having said that, I didn't think the clean channel was as good as the clean channel in my Roadster, and I didn't like the red channel as much. The blue channel was great tho. I ended up getting rid of it because it doesn't sound like a recto which is really the sound I prefer.

18. Mikeyboyeee

Mikeyboyeee Supporting Member

Pulled the trigger on an Ivory 6l6 50w this AM from Sweetwater.

I now officially have waaay too many amps. Looking forward to this one tho!

HoboMan likes this.
  19. cust22

cust22 Member

Me too, I ordered a black one!

Mikeyboyeee and HoboMan like this.