EVH 5150 III Micro head

hanksta13

Yeah, that demo really didn't do much for the amp. Sounded like a##. Would like to hear it in person or a Real demo.

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Its funny that they call is Micro. It looks the be the same size as an average mesa head. Not really much smaller than a 5150.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
Its noted to be the same as the large head other then the size and wattage. Can't imagine they sound that much different. That amp has so much gain the lower wattage would hardly be any advantage IMO. On the other hand the small amp is far more appealing looking.

daddyo

Sounds like a typical minicam clipped microphone vid. Why do manufacturers and dealers let less than professional demos of their amps go out on the net?

henke

Sounds like a typical minicam clipped microphone vid. Why do manufacturers and dealers let less than professional demos of their amps go out on the net?

I don't get this either. I work with online advertising and web media production and far too often I get across aweful compact camera photos taken by companies that they want me to use for their websites. Photos that lack everything; focus depth, vivid colors, decent resolution, editing touches etc. I't like crappy "family on vacation"-photos. And they want those photos to represent multi million industry companies. It's insane.

Just like a crappy demo like this. Why don't they rig a booth with a couple of decent cameras and a SM57 and do something decent with it? The resulting pre-orders would probably cover the costs 50 times over or something, if it's a good product.

VA_siCkBoy

Gold Supporting Member
I don't understand why they had to cram everything into a "micro" head..

Probably one of the worst demos I've ever seen.

Boogie Boy

I don't understand why they had to cram everything into a "micro" head..

Probably one of the worst demos I've ever seen.

It isnt a "microhead"

Most large box amp heads are just air.Take a look inside one sometime

ever notice combos of the same amp are narrower?

Frankly amps are an odd ball in consumer electronics .Most appliances are space efficient, or would you perfer your home stereo be the size of a dog house? I don't need my amps to be a "prop"

Mesa Boogie has been offering small box sizes for thier models for decades now

The original 5150 III was the widest head ive seen -even wider than the 4 x12 it sits on LOL!

:dunno

Last edited:

RJoslin

In concept, this amp sounds perfect for me. I currently use a 5150 II, and LOVE the tone it gives me, but I have never gigged with it with the volume anywhere above 3. So, I have been looking, waiting, hoping, for something similar that was only 40 or 50 watts. I considered a Marshall 50W head, but it doesn't give me the features that I love in my 5150 II.

Now, as others have posted here, that NAMM '11 demo was not exactly flattering, tone-wise. But now, I can't WAIT to try one of these little beasts in person. I have played the full-size 5150 III and absolutely loved it, but without the $3,500 just laying around, I will be waiting to get one. Now, I won't have to, I can get the 50W Micro version, and crank it up a lot more to more of that woody tone.

Anybody find anything on the cost of this thing yet?? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Joz

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
Small rulez and I don't even gig. When I look at something like a JCM800 or similar these days I feel it looks ridiculous. I think the main purpose amp shells are larger then really needed is due to better ventilation for the heat/tubes. If they can keep quality control pretty steady on these and the price them right they will sell a boat load.

R3deemed

He even says everything is at 12 (noon, I'm assuming.) It's EQ'd flat.

digiTED

rock > talk
So the reason an amp is too loud for home use is because the head cab is too big? Never knew that! Sweet audio from Tone King's iPhone video capture, too.

Boogie Boy

Its noted to be the same as the large head other then the size and wattage. Can't imagine they sound that much different. That amp has so much gain the lower wattage would hardly be any advantage IMO. On the other hand the small amp is far more appealing looking.

I don't think-nor was it suggested-that it would sound different

Its 50 watts only 3 db less loud so gain doesn't factor in at all-It's not like they were introducing a different model altogether.:dunno

Its just as it seems a repackaged 5150 III to appeal to those who know "good things come in small packages.":love:

BTW the best part is the PRICE!

Boogie Boy

Small rulez and I don't even gig. When I look at something like a JCM800 or similar these days I feel it looks ridiculous. I think the main purpose amp shells are larger then really needed is due to better ventilation for the heat/tubes. If they can keep quality control pretty steady on these and the price them right they will sell a boat load.

The main purpose of head size is aesthetics to match with the 4x12- no practical reason.

combo's of the same amp are actually narrower (if 1x12)

I think the same way, smaller is better and big boxes look ridiculous.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom