EVH 5150 III Question for Owners / Regular players

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FPFL, Mar 24, 2015.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

(There are enough EVH speculative threads with 1,000 opinions... so please forgive me for only asking what people who regularly use this amp think.)

The gain on this amp really is insanely hot. Wow! I have no idea what you would do much above 5-6 on blue and especially on red... and to be clear I play hard rock and thrash metal. I'm not a blooz/jazz guy, though the green channel is lovely for the rare moments. (I have the 50W head fwiw)

I've read that some people swap out certain pre-amp tubes. I'm not sure I need to do this, I'm generally happy with the amp and I'm still breaking in the Mesa 2x12 it sits on... but I am curious if people have tried it or other things to tweak the amp. Worth even trying? Down the road when the cab is loose I'll be up for experimenting for fun.

FWIW - I play a Suhr Standard with Aldrich Bucker and a PRS Tremonti hard tail into this beast. Very different guitars but both with hot pups and different pup EQ curves. I'm usually in E flat or Drop Db.

Stay well and thanks!

P