EVH 5150iii 50 Watt - Live Use Report

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by memberzonly, Feb 19, 2012.

1. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

Okay fellas....

Played my first show with the 50 watt last night. Paired with the 1x12 EVH cab. Here are some observations/thoughts. I had both masters at about 9:00. Green/Blue gain at 1:00, Red gain at 11:00. Korg rack delay in the loop. All switching done via midi. Single SM57 into the FOH board. Guitars were a Charvel So Cal and Suhr S1. Both had more vintage style pups.

1) H30 cab sounded good. But, I think for my sound, I am going to try the EVH GB in the cab. Seems to work better for me.

2) Amp midi programming was cake and worked great. No delays. No pops between channels.

3) At these levels, the volume discrepancy between Green/Blue WAS obvious. I normally use neck/mid singles for my clean sound. I found I had to use the humbucker to compete with the Blue channel. There was a bit of grit using the neck hum but in the live mix, it did not really matter. My plan is to go back to using my neck/middle singles and program a 3 dB boost for cleans and then once I switch to the Blue channel, turn the boost off via midi.

4) My gut feeling is that the amp likes higher output hums better than low output. Makes sense based upon who the amp was designed for. I tend to play PAF style pickups (with A5 mags) and I had to keep things from getting too bright. Might be a combo of the PAF + new H30.

5) The amp performed FLAWLESSLY. 4 hour show with *very* brief breaks (like 10-15 minutes, 2 times).

2. jsgregg

jsgregg Member

Some very interesting points there. I was wondering about the differences between the H30 and the EVH GB.

3. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

What tunes were you playing FTMP?

4. memberzonly

Everything from Motown, 70's Disco, 80's pop/rock, new country. It's a wide palette of dance tunes.

5. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I am concerned about the vol levels of ch 1 and ch 2, can you get a nice clean tone and the hit ch2 and not be to loud or soft? or is the shared channel 1 and 2 a problem for that? Thanks

6. shood

shood Member

How do you plan to program a 3db boost when you engage the green channel?

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I ordered mine yesterday from Sweetwater. I am most excited about channel 2 on this amp, the crunch channel. Fast forward to 3:25 of this video to hear channel 2. I wish he would have played longer on this channel, Sounds nice and crunchy!

8. cdntac

cdntac Member

It's not easy...

I don't use the clean channel though I tried to do this --- without much success.

But if you roll back the gain on Channel three --- you can have luck mixing clean 1 with it. Enough so that I think many would be happy with the results.

You'd just have to tweak the Channel 3 gain for whichever song.

9. memberzonly

10. jsgregg

jsgregg Member

No doubt...the blue channel gets 20 seconds of love and thats it??:huh

I have to say that some of the clips now being posted sound very nice.

11. memberzonly

See 3) in original post.

12. cdntac

cdntac Member

I should add too that lowering the gain on Channel 2 results in the sound being cleaned up pretty good as well.

So I think there are certainly options for those who want relatively clean plus a bit of a gain boost. But if your choice is to mix channels 1 and 2 together to do that...you may not have much luck.

I'm really impressed with mine --- and that's using a Peavey C50 410 as its cab.

I can't help but wonder if other amp makers will follow Fender's lead and come out with reasonably affordable tube heads in a 50 watt package.

13. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

That's what I was thinking? Keep the volume low...:omg

14. cdntac

cdntac Member

Why would it blow up the 1x12?

15. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I thought the 1x12 has a EVH Greenback? Isn't that thing only 25 watts? If the head is 50 watts and the cab is 25 watts, that would be a problem. of course I'm sure the fine folks at EVH would be smarter than to build a matching 1x12 cab for a 50 watt amp using a 25 watt speaker. It must be loaded with a higer wattage speaker.

16. BudLite

Thanks for the info, Now I am thinking I may need the full size head.

Membersonly and cdntac -you said you do alot of motown and dance stuff, I use the
    clean channel alot for this type of stuff. Do you think you will be okay just
    rolling back the vol. knob for cleans?

17. memberzonly

At 9:00 on the master, you aren't going to blow anything up but you will start to get some "push" on that GB. I have a hotplate as well, if I want to get the power tubes going. The 1x12 comes with an H30 and the amp is a 50 watt. Crank the amp and you'll blow either one :omg

Of course, there are plenty of higher power GB styled speakers, if you are worried.

18. cdntac

cdntac Member

You mean run it on channel 2 or 3 and roll back the volume knob?

I can make a vid showing a few things.

Just ask what settings, channels you'd like to hear, etc and I'll just do some power chords showing it all.

Gotta go out for a bit but should be able to do this later.

19. BudLite

Yes, I did mean roll the vol. knob back on 2 and 3, I play alot of clean to a little dirty rhythm and want to go into the lead channel 2 at a level I do not need to adjust.

for example, Say you are doing Long Train Running and you need a clean rhythm tone for the chords but then want to hit ch2 for the lead w/o having to adjust the amp,
    would that be too difficult?

20. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Not to hijack but I would love to hear channel two (blue) with humbuckers at half gain and full gain. Do some palm muted , chugga chugga stuff. You will be my hero!:bow