EVH 5150iii vs. Mesa Rectoverb 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GibsonLives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Yeah, I realize they're not really the same thing at all.

However, they're both channel-switchers with (it seems, at least) a ton of tonal versatility, able to go from clean to classic rock to really high-gain, both have effects loops, bjilt-in reverb, are plenty loud enough for my needs, etc.

EVH has three footswitchable channels, 50 watts, and something very few tube amps have - a headphone jack.

Rectoverb only has two channels, but two modes on each (too bad the modes aren't also footswitchable), a very loud 25 watts, genuine tube-driven (as opposed to the EVH's digital) reverb, and comes in a small, lightweight package. In fact, I'd get the RoV combo, whereas if I got the EVH, I'd have to go with the head and 1x12 cab for space and weight.

Again, many differences here, and I can't have both. Anyone happen to have played both?

I like everything from crystal cleans to edge-of-breakup to blues to classic rock to '80s metal to even some more modern sounds.

I've got Strats with singles, semihollows with Filtertron-style pickups and humbuckers - so obviously I need something which works well with several different styles of both music and guitars.

Thanks so much for any and all comments - good, bad, or ugly.

Steve

2. ken374

ken374 Member

Had the mini rec and played the 5150III the new DSL40C it awesome loving it

3. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Ken, I'm not entirely sure which one you prefer; could you please elaborate a bit?

Also, anyone else???

Steve :)

4. ken374

ken374 Member

I prefer the DSL at least the red channel is quiet and manageable over the EVH. DSL has everything we both like.

5. jds22

jds22 Member

I have the 5150 III 112 combo and if you want crystal cleans, this amp isn't for you.
    I know some may disagree but to me the cleans are still slightly dirty and kind of thin sounding.

That being said this amp works really well for 80's hard rock/metal up to newer metal if that's your thing.