EVH Charvel Series guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Ive just been watching a Ratt bootleg and Warren De Martini (awesome player) was using what looked like one of the new Charvels .

Anybody played one ?

Are they all they were designed to be ?

De Martini`s tone using that gtr with Diezel VH4 head was simply to kill for !!!

jimmy

2. kselbee

kselbee Member

Warren is the business for sure. Where can I get a copy of that vid?

3. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I played one. Typical older style S-Head Charvel neck, with a Floyd, one bucker, one knob. The one I tried sounded nice, but was horribly overpriced. It would have been a cool guitar at about $1200 street, but not at twice that price. An old banana-head Kramer Baretta does the same thing for a hell of a lot less $$$.

I thought DiMartini was playing Performance guitars these days, could be wrong.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I got one, I didn't want to but I had to. I had a 25th Anniversary and sent it back for the EVH. I wish it didn't have the stripes but other than that, it's a cool guitar. It's really not the same as a S' charvel though. The neck shape is very different. I just fell in love with the neck.

thanks,
    Paul

5. Burnsonix

Burnsonix Member

Jimmy,

I've got a bootleg DVD from Wilkes Barre, PA in July 05 - Warren used Performance Guitars on this one - snakeskin, butterscotch tele and the white Samurai strat - very cool stuff, he's still got "it" !.

If you're interested in a trade let me know.

Regards,

Graeme.

6. stephen thomas

stephen thomas Member

Have not played one but would like to (especially with my VH4). Rock Fella, where did you get that Bootleg from as I would love to get hold of a copy?

7. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

I just tried one of these today - very tempting - and I don't even know why - any happy/unhappy users out there with comments? The pricing was quite attractive, thus my interest... -- Barr

8. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I think the musiczoo.com is taking orders for those natural finsish mahagony body Charvels. Sweet looking axe, but the "crossed swords" DeMartini brings out the shredness in me.:eek:

9. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I agree the guitar is way too expensive. You can put a frankenstrat copy together yourself for much cheaper than this -- I did. And I like the SD EVH '78 pickup a lot better. In fact, I think it's one of the best humbuckers out there.

10. shoe

shoe Member

I loved the sound of the pickup in the EVH Art Series Charvel that I tried last week. How does the SD EVH '78 compare to it?

Seriously, I might but the guitar for the pickup alone!

11. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Well, playing through a 5150 combo and then a David Bray plexi "Brown Sound" mod (which really isn't a mod in the traditonal sense but a reconfiguration of a reissue plexi back to orignial late 60s specs -- Eddie's Marshall was stock) I think the EVH has smoother mids and better harmonics more remniscent of the early VH sound than the Charvel pup.

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Anything with EVH's name attached to it is overpriced. Look at the EBMM EVH compared to a New Axis. The Charvels are no different. Cool guitar I'd like to have for ***** and grins but at what they are going for I'd need a little more then 1 volume and 1 PUP and some stripes.

13. brent

brent Member

I have a 78 in my Tyler and I own a EVH Charvel. The 78 or EVH is a completely different pickup than the one in the Charvel, the 78 is a relatively low output pickup with a kind of P-90 ish vibe, matches well volume wise with the singles in my Tyler. It works well in the Swamp ash Tyler, I think it could be overly bright in other strats, I really didn't like it in the 25th anniversary Charvel I had but that guitar was just way too bright anyway (maple topped alder with a maple neck) The EVH Charvel pickup is really hot in comparison and MUCH thicker sounding but surprisingly does clean up well.

14. shoe

shoe Member

That's what I really dug about it. It was hot and thick, yet somehow clear. Seriously, I'd love to get my hands on a pickup like that! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

15. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Supporting Member

Here's a pair of my parts guitars that rock hard.I just finished the bottom one.It cost me a total of about $800 to build and it sounds awesome.
    [​IMG]

16. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Nice looking axes! What's the body wood and how do they sound with the Floyd? What single coil pups are you using?

17. Lnkn Prk 13

Lnkn Prk 13 Member

The EVH is WAY overpirced. The guitar is really nothing special, just a S style body with a decently shaped neck. It might be worth buying at like $1200 but definetly not at what they are going for.

18. MOJO

MOJO Member

Pretty sweet

can you tell us your parts source??

19. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Let's see:

Stupid paintjob (unless you're EVH, in which case it's ridiculously cool)
    Only one pickup
    No tone control

And it costs more than a new LP standard.

Oh yeah, lemme run right out and buy one. NOT!

Rolling your own would definitely be the way to go with this one.

20. EVHindenberg

EVHindenberg Supporting Member

Thanks! Both bodies are Alder(the top one has a great quilt maple top) and sound great with the Floyds.In the top guitar,I have a Performance guitars brass sustain block.It definitely adds tone and sustain over a stock steel block.In the bottom guitar,I really didn't need to go that route because the body/neck combination was so warm and resonant already.The top body is a Wayne made by Wayne Charvel himself.The bottom one is a KNE Guitars body.They are relatively new on the scene but are making great bodies.The quilt body is finished with Tru Oil gunstock oil and the bottom body is finished with Tung Oil.The necks were both made by Musikraft who make awesome necks to whatever specs you give them.The first neck is a an exact shape and feel replica of an early 80's San Dimas Strathead Charvel and the second is slightly fatter but still a thin "C"(21 frets instead of 22 also).The pickups in the quilt are a Duncan Hybrid(Custom/59) in the bridge and a Bareknuckle Irish Tour in the neck.In my opinion,the Irish Tour is the most killer neck single coil I have ever heard.This guitar has a killer EVH brown tone.The bottom guitar's pickups are a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Hot Rails in the neck.Like I said,this one is so nice and resonant it has a great sustain and killer metal tone.Think Iron Maiden at their best.As far as electronic parts and such.Most of it I got from guitarpartsresource.com
    Here's another pic of the quilt:
    [​IMG]