• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EVH fanboys

Lemon Crush

I'm not huge on the EVh uptake (fan but not super into him) but was just wondering if he's pulled out the Fender Frankenstein Replica in any live shows yet? Or is he sticking purely to the Wolfgang?

shg

Jesus, if that's the original Frankenstrat then that poor guitar's had more necks than I've had GUITARS.

chrisr0712

wonder if that is the original or replica body. not the original pickup for sure. looks like a zebra pup. original was black.

shg

There have been black, white, cream, and zebra pups in that body* at various times. Original was a black PAF, Mighty Mite, I think there's been a Dimarzio Super Distortion in there a few times, Seymour Duncan has made him three different custom pickups for that guitar over the years as well. At a guess I'd say that's a zebra version of the Frankenstein pickup that Seymour Duncan makes for Fender, basically an artificially-aged Seymour Duncan Custom Custom.

(*If it's Frankie of course)

fenderlead

I would say that guitar is 100% Fender.

Fender Franky replica body made for Ed and coupled with a Fender Wolfgang neck.

Maybe it's in Ed's Fender contract to only use Fender gear in public.

The original Franky body was retired and had issues around the Floyd postholes the last time I heard.

btw I'm not an EVH fanboy.

Zingeroo

Holy **** that headstock is ugly. It's an abomination unto the Lord. (just a saying, don't want no twitchy moderators to get all drummed up)

fenderlead

I think he named his son after Mozart and he also used Mozart for the guitars but his son might have had something to do with the guitars as well.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
did he name the guitar after his son or the other way around?
I think he named his son after Mozart and he also used Mozart for the guitars but his son might have had something to do with the guitars as well.
While he named his son after Mozart he named the guitars after his son. Wolfgang Van Halen was born in 1991; at that time EVH had just finalized his EBMM Signature model and was using those guitars. When he moved to Peavey in 1995 he named the guitar after his son. Of course that means the guitar was indirectly named after Mozart, but the intent was to name it after his son.

ssites

Holy **** that headstock is ugly. It's an abomination unto the Lord. (just a saying, don't want no twitchy moderators to get all drummed up)
I guess I am in the minority but I dig the head stock. I can pop a brew with it!

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
I guess I am in the minority but I dig the head stock. I can pop a brew with it!
Definitely growing on me... is it made by Fender, his own brand? I like that dark charcol one he is using on the live clips. What's the going price for one of those? Has the Floyd gotten better/easier to use (since 1990 when I had a guitar with one :)

shg

Warning: if you are in any way relieved that Ed is looking healthy and happy at present, do not watch those videos.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom