1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

EVH Frankenstein Humbucker! Noise! Help!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitkrazy, May 20, 2011.

1. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I recently put together a Kramer 5150 guitar- got the EVH Frankenstein Pup for it. Finished the guitar and plugged it in. The pup sounds really good but it is really noisey- I swear I think it is a ground issue but everything is wired up correctly. 1 500k (EVH low Friction) Volume pot. The lead for the pkup is interesting it has the hot lead which is covered by cloth like material as the insulation & on the outside it is braided wire (which is the ground) is there anything I can do to eliminate the hum? Really has me baffled. Please help :bonk

2. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

Check the hot and ground wires going to the output jack, make sure they are not reversed.

3. copperhead

copperhead Member

If its humming & both coils are working ,i wonder if its the pickup at all
    Is it new?
    you cant really swap wires if it 2 conductor braided wire (without disassembling)
    i would solder it direct to the jack ,eliminating everything that could be causing your problem just as a test & to try to solve your humming issue

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

I looked the pickup up on the EVH Gear site; it claims to be "wound to the exact original specs". The story I've heard going back to the days when EBMM was working to develop the original EVH Signature was the pickup was only partially functioning. They were having problems getting him to approve the bridge pickup so Steve Blutcher of DiMarzio tested out the Frankenstein pickup and discovered that one coil of the pickup just barely worked. That would explain extra noise if it isn't a fully functioning humbucker.

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The EVH Frankenstein is a fully functioning humbucker, and it's not an exact recreation on that mythical broken pickup. Actually the Frankenstein is a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom with a slightly degaussed magnet, that's all there is to it really. :)

I A/B-tested both , recorded a clip over a backing track with the SH-11, and did the same with the Frankenstein, and the difference was practically non-existent. The Frankenstein is ever so slightly warmer, and that's it. 99.5% identical.

To the OP, definitely sounds like you have the ground and hot at the output jack wrong.

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Thanks for the straight info on that pickup - I was repeating the "story" circulating back in 1991 (in places like Guitar Player and Guitar World interviews with EVH about the EBMM guitar). You really have to take everything EVH has ever said about his gear with a 2-ton grain of salt.:p