EVH Frankenstein on alder or maple?

fechart

Hi,

I've got a frankie just sitting there, waiting for the right guitar... Had it on a mahogany Dean ML79 and was kinda muddy for my taste.

I'm gassing for a maple bodied Kramer The '84 Diver Down, but an alder new Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas could be an option too.

I know maple is very bright, being alder a well balanced wood, I wonder if any of you have experience with this pickup and in which wood you have installed it...

Cheers!

crwilsn

I have one of the Maple body Kramer 84s. Mine has the stock JB and nails the EVH tone and vibe. Frankie pickup may or may not be an improvement but the bones are there in the guitar. Plus unlike the Charvel, the trem can be flush mounted and a d-tuna added.

I got the white one for two reasons

1. Stripes on the EVH striped series come with an expectation and I am not as good as Eddie
2. If I change my mind about 1, this will make a perfect base for a 5150 replica

Diver down one is cool too as it invokes vh without the iconic stripes.

Last edited:

fechart

I have one of the Maple body Kramer 84s. Mine has the stock JB and nails the EVH tone and vibe. Frankie pickup may or may not be an improvement but the bones are there in the guitar. Plus unlike the Charvel, the trem can be flush mounted and a d-tuna added.

I got the white one for two reasons

1. Stripes on the EVH striped series come with an expectation and I am not as good as Eddie
2. If I change my mind about 1, this will make a perfect base for a 5150 replica

Diver down one is cool too as it invokes vh without the iconic stripes.
Awesome. Despite I don't dig the JB, but maybe on that bright snappy maple sounds good...

Kingpin69

I have a signed reiic'd Frankenstein pickup in an ash bodied strat with a Floyd. I don't care what the specs say. It's a hot pickup. Great grind to it. I need to back way off on the gain and it still has great harmonics and sustain. It reminded me of Woman And Children First. Literally just watched this days ago and this guy agrees with me apparently.

Unfortunately it shorted out for no reason. Just went half power one day. Replaced the volume pot twice. Then finally tried a multi meter and yep, it's fried. I plan on sending it to Duncan for repair soon. I love it and miss it!

Trending Topics