EVH Frankie oddity

Booga

Hello,

I bought an EVH Frankie recently and notice than when the Floyd is setup correctly (parallel to the body) that the low e side of the trem base is set lower in relation to the body than the high e, meaning that although perfectly parallel and resting on the body on the low e, the other side is raised slightly and viewed from the back, you can see it sits about 3/4 of a mil higher to the right. The action at the 12th measures 4/64 on the low and about 3.5/64 on the high e, so slightly lower as you would expect. I have measured all around the neck pocket / side of the neck and all seems in order. If i measure from the surface of the body to the top of the fingerboard at the very end of the fingerboard, it measures higher on the top e side than the low e. Do I have a slope across the surface of the body from top side (playing position) to bottom?

Cheers.

Blue Lizard

Congrats on the Frankie - great guitars but (IME) they do need a fair bit of setting up to get them in the zone.

First thing: have you adjusted the trem posts at all? You can adjust bridge levelling by independently screwing them in/out. Pics would help too.

Personally, the best thing I did on mine was install a trem stopper from the off. Allows you to set trem/action height and keep the trem plate parallel without having to level it against the body:

idLj1rd.jpg

EdOpvp6.jpg

B Money

Seems like the floor of the neck pocket is tilted compared to the top of the body, causing the fret board to be slightly canted.
You could test this by removing the neck and then measuring the distance from the bottom of the neck pocket to the top of the body at the bass side, and treble side.

Booga

Thanks for the reply. I have adjust the trem posts but set them back to factory as the action was spot on with factory bridge adjustment. As you can see from the pics, the low e side is almost grounded.

IMG_20220702_124050.jpg
IMG_20220704_002005.jpg

Booga

Seems like the floor of the neck pocket is tilted compared to the top of the body, causing the fret board to be slightly canted.
You could test this by removing the neck and then measuring the distance from the bottom of the neck pocket to the top of the body at the bass side, and treble side.
Sorry, missed you post. Good idea. I'll try that.

Booga

Sorry, missed you post. Good idea. I'll try that.
OK, pending removing the neck (a bit of a faff) I double checked my findings of measuring from the top of the body to the top of the 22nd fret on both sides and measures the same. Bottom line, is it a problem that the trem is not perfectly flat to the body on both sides? Will that cause irregular knife edge wear?

Tuning is stable, but I can only get it set up with all the strings very slightly sharp in e flat and very slightly flat in drop d flat. Stays in tune like this even with vigorous dive bombing.

Thanks for your suggestion re: the trem stop Blue Lizard. No good for me though as the action is already correct on the bass side and is need to shim the neck to raise the bridge and make use of the stop.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kdawg1966

That will just drop the action on that side. Already tried it. Much lower than it is now and string buzz starts creeping in. Action is currently just under 4/64 on that side.

I wrote my reply, then I read your above post one more time and a bit more carefully, realizing the setup was perfect from factory. I then deleted my post, realizing it wasn't much help.

You were too fast for me this morning!

Booga

I wrote my reply, then I read your above post one more time and a bit more carefully, realizing the setup was perfect from factory. I then deleted my post, realizing it wasn't much help.

You were too fast for me this morning!
No problem.

Any thoughts on whether I actually have an issue, or at least an issue that matters?

Kdawg1966

No problem.

Any thoughts on whether I actually have an issue, or at least an issue that matters?

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

All my guitars are Floyded and though I'm far from the most knowledgeable here on them, I just set my guitars up and play them. I've never measured high/low E distances. If I like the action and it stays in tune, I'm off to the races never looking back.

Unless someone here tells you otherwise, I'd wouldn't sweat it at all.

Booga

If it were mine, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

All my guitars are Floyded and though I'm far from the most knowledgeable here on them, I just set my guitars up and play them. I've never measured high/low E distances. If I like the action and it stays in tune, I'm off to the races never looking back.

Unless someone here tells you otherwise, I'd wouldn't sweat it at all.
Thank you. I'm inclined to go with that.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
Every EVH designed guitar I have owned had issues with either the body not being perfectly straight under the Floyd, or the neck pocket being uneven. EVH was a genius, but it's a faulty way to set up a bolt on guitar. The trem stop idea will work better, even though you hear a metallic "clunk" when the trem block hits the stopper.

The other way to get the action perfect with a decked Floyd, a shim is usually the answer. A business card under the bridge side of the neck pocket will work wonders to "lower" the action, allowing you to raise the bridge up a hair - and maybe compensating for any body or neck pocket irregularities by giving you more room to adjust.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the Frankie - great guitars but (IME) they do need a fair bit of setting up to get them in the zone.

First thing: have you adjusted the trem posts at all? You can adjust bridge levelling by independently screwing them in/out. Pics would help too.

Personally, the best thing I did on mine was install a trem stopper from the off. Allows you to set trem/action height and keep the trem plate parallel without having to level it against the body:

idLj1rd.jpg

EdOpvp6.jpg
Nice looking brass claw and screws!

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
Would this problem, to whatever degree, be localized to EVH guitars?

No, probably ANY guitar you try and deck a Floyd on. Unless the body and neck angle are perfect for the action height you want with the Floyd resting on the body, you are going to have issues.

monty

Every EVH designed guitar I have owned had issues with either the body not being perfectly straight under the Floyd, or the neck pocket being uneven. EVH was a genius, but it's a faulty way to set up a bolt on guitar. The trem stop idea will work better, even though you hear a metallic "clunk" when the trem block hits the stopper.

The other way to get the action perfect with a decked Floyd, a shim is usually the answer. A business card under the bridge side of the neck pocket will work wonders to "lower" the action, allowing you to raise the bridge up a hair - and maybe compensating for any body or neck pocket irregularities by giving you more room to adjust.
Yeah I agree about the shim. Bit of a PITA but once it's done these guitars play beautifully.

webby1

No, probably ANY guitar you try and deck a Floyd on. Unless the body and neck angle are perfect for the action height you want with the Floyd resting on the body, you are going to have issues.

Ok, thanks for that. Have a FR 1000 on my LTD had good tech do a full do over (even though it was new). I am a moderate user and haven't noticed problems yet, but I will apply the diags listed here to check.

Top Bottom