EVH hacking it up out of key "Sound of Silence"

dlguitar64

EVH is a perfect example of an 'idiot savant".
Put him outside his comfort zone and he is beyond useless.

This is also a good time to ponder the difference between an
"entertainer" and a "musician".

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
I listened to a YouTube soundboard recording of VH from 1975 today and Ed was so out of tune I had to stop listening.

EVH is a classic "idiot savant" as are many rock greats.
(not a slam, look it up)
EVH is a perfect example of an 'idiot savant".
Put him outside his comfort zone and he is beyond useless.
Being musically talented yet limited in terms of styles is not the same thing as being an "idiot savant," which refers to people who are extremely gifted in one area, yet incapable in various aspects of everyday life. Eddie seems to be a pretty normal human being, even though he evidently can't play over "Sounds of Silence." Maybe he was just trashed?

D

Deleted member 185106

Love the look on Paul's face:

"Hmm, okay. You gonna get it together? Oh, you're not? Got it."

fenderlead

Basically the song is centered on A Natural Minor (in the chords I've got access to).

Usually for the solo, it would just be playing melodies and fills using A Natural Minor and maybe a few other embellishment things, but A Natural Minor would be the main base and then just play (and outline A Natural Minor based chords such as Am, F, G, C etc) using the A Natural Minor as the chords change.

I have no idea what EVH is using or doing except that it's all over the place, the notes and the timing/phrasing.

EVH's main thing is basically Clapton Blues licks mixed up with some Bill Nelson (Bebop Deluxe) Fusion like licks that are basically used in a chord neutral sort of way like the end of the Jump solo for instance.

Apparently EVH can't handle playing around chords using A Natural Minor that well, interesting.

Last edited:

tone4days

Yeah, just not a good match ... even taking away the volume level snafu and copious clams, it's clear that this combination of guest player and song were misfit.
I can imagine Allan Holdsworth, for example, could've played something that would've intensified the lonesome, pensive mood of that song. Derek Trucks as well.

27sauce

Was he just asking any act that came through if he could jam? How annoying! I’ve heard stories of him backstage at nirvana, prince, McCartney...all ‘93/94.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom