EVH metal picks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrissh, Oct 14, 2005.

1. chrissh

chrissh Member

As a teenager,I caught rumor that Warren DeMartini was inspired by Eddie Van Halen to use stainless steel flatpicks.Using metal and stone picks for close to twenty years,I'm very aware how different picks affect attack and overall signal.

Does anyone know if EVH did in fact use metal picks?That factor alone could go some way in (partly)explaining his coveted early sounds,yet I've only ever seen mention of him using standard medium picks.

2. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

i dont think he did, but i have one of warrens metal picks, so i know thats true ;)

dave

3. chrissh

chrissh Member

Yeah,and Warren's sound became more refined and "classic rock" when he stopped using steel picks.George Lynch too.Their early sounds were fairly bright and hot,though not "fuzzy" or particularly complex.Those were strange,exciting days in the infancy of post-EVH gainy guitar sounds(especially as recorded).

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Metal pics are great, especially when you have roadies change your strings for you every night. I tried to use steel and copper pics in the 80s myself, and while I did like the tone, they just ate up my strings. I actually had my A string wrap unravel right before my eyes while playing a party jam.

5. chrissh

chrissh Member

Yes,the thin/hard stainless picks especially are like knives on strings,but polished brass and stone are gentler.Dial out some of the highest dog-whistle chirps in the attack and they can sound great,and they're wonderful for dynamic picking.

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I pick mostly with my fingers these days, but I have gone through metal pick phases in the past. I used those Cymbolics for a long while. They were made of old drum cymbols. They had a cool tone, but could be a tad thick. I have some of those metal tipped Davas that I use periodically these days, when I'm not finger picking. They are actually pretty cool. They still have some flex like a plastic pick and for some reason aren't overly bright like all metal picks (though still brighter than plastic). If nothing else they are great to practice with because they never wear out. You'll have 'em until you loose 'em. I think because of their larger size I am not quite as fast with the Dava (or any metal pick) as I am with those little Fender teardrop picks, that I also like occasionally. But as I fingerpick more and more, I am getting better with my fingers, and worse with a pick. And I am beginning to notice how lame my picking technique used to be regardless of which pick I used.

7. TiEsQue

TiEsQue Member

He did not. Just regular Fender picks.

8. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

I remember getting oneof Eddie's picks from Dan Martin at St. Charles Guitar Exchange in MO. That was when I spent a lot of money there and worshiped at the VH altar. He wasn't so kind when he didn't remember me. Later gave the pick to a high school girlfriend. What a loss...

Fender-like plastic. the pick, not the girlfriend

joe

9. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

He actually blamed his tongue cancer on metal picks. He said because he puts the picks in his mouth all the time. And the 5 packs a day he smokes.

10. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Back in high school (mid '80s) Guitar Player magazine had a fold-out poster of dozens of famous guitar players picks and lots of coments from the players themselves. I distinctly remember that EVH played an extremely thin plastic pick at the time. Now if I could only find that poster...

11. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

FWIW, I remember reading that Eddie changed picks all the time using different thicknesses just depending on how he felt that day. The were the plastic ones though.

12. uncle looie

uncle looie Member

I heard that he had them carved from the bill of a special hand-selected rare platypus.

13. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I've been using the same SS metal pick for many yrs now - I dig the extra crunch-y that it puts on your tone from the wound strings and the very smooth release on the plain strings. Since I change my strings for each gig, it's not a deal. I do also use plastic (Clayton Acetal Polymer ~ 1.52mm) - depends on the gig. Jazz and country gigs get the Claytons; rock or blues based gigs get the stainless steel.

I've seen Eddie several times and he always 'seems' to be using std plastic picks with the EVH logo on them; who knows?