• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

EVH on SNL '87: High Quality

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
No. I found him irritating as well during that time. The hipster outfits, the constantly rotating menagerie of cool vintage guitars, the "look at me, I'm awesome" facial expressions. I'm sure he is a really great guy, but on SNL, he seemed to exude this attitude of superiority and smugness that I personally found annoying. But then again, I was 18-20 at the time.

Alternately, he was the band leader and frontman for the SNL band. Being a showman with an image could be considered part of the gig. Dressed well, playing well and having a blast doing it. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Dasein

Nice suit Eddie! Great video -- One of the highlights of my life was seeing an unknown kid (Eddie) unexpectedly play guitar between sets at a little bar on Ventura Blvd. in Van Nuys, in about 1974. One of those moments when everyone sitting w/ me, all musicians, collectively said WHOA!!!!

OK --- you gotta share --- what's the story?

micycle

Man, those were the days!! I was 14-15 at that time and only a few years into playing guitar, just starting to learn about gear, and everything about his playing was (and I guess still is in a lot of ways) like otherworldly rock guitar magic. I was watching the LIVE WITHOUT A NET concert nonstop around that time. I hear a lot of OU812-isms in that clip. I'm surprised I didn't see this when it originally aired, I've watched SNL pretty religiously since the early 80s. I'm sort of glad I didn't see it because I would have been kicking myself for not having the VCR running so I could re-watch it. These lucky meddling kids and their YouTubes these days....

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
Back when guitar rock was the popular music of the day, instead of the being the jazz genre of today!

shred for sale

Gold Supporting Member
Alternately, he was the band leader and frontman for the SNL band. Being a showman with an image could be considered part of the gig. Dressed well, playing well and having a blast doing it. It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Yeah, I remember being a kid and watching him and just thinking he seemed like he was having the best time, and was so cool. Then again, I was a kid and before my "overly critical teenage years". Not to mention, as the MD he probably was more experience and educated than most of the other players...he was large and in charge. He had some killer sessions credits before his tenure with the SNL band even started.

Misterbulbous

Yeah, I remember being a kid and watching him and just thinking he seemed like he was having the best time, and was so cool. Then again, I was a kid and before my "overly critical teenage years". Not to mention, as the MD he probably was more experience and educated than most of the other players...he was large and in charge. He had some killer sessions credits before his tenure with the SNL band even started.

...and wasn't he dating or married to Gilda Radner? I think definitely so. Not that it means anything.

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
LOL, had this on VHS after taping it after it first aired. Wore that tape out watching it over and over again. Great to see a high quality version of it! Looks like Ed didn't get the arrangement just right. It looked like he wanted another 4 measures before his solo. But, he, of course, recovered very quickly! Man, no wonder I wanted to play like that when I was a kid. It's just so...fookin' kewl! When he did the double-stop tapping run, it just... friggin' rocks!!

Thanks for posting!!!

Grun

Silver Supporting Member
G.E. was/is cool. Coke may be a 'heckuva' drug. Jealousy is deadly. Sorry (not).

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
No. I found him irritating as well during that time. The hipster outfits, the constantly rotating menagerie of cool vintage guitars, the "look at me, I'm awesome" facial expressions. I'm sure he is a really great guy, but on SNL, he seemed to exude this attitude of superiority and smugness that I personally found annoying. But then again, I was 18-20 at the time.

Cool vintage guitars irritate you??

macula56

Just Passin' Thru
Gold Supporting Member
hipster outfits and cool vintage guitars. sounds like he was ahead of his time.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I dig the close ups of Ed's right hand work. They did a nice job capturing that on film. That rarely happens on these types of shows.

micycle

...and wasn't he dating or married to Gilda Radner? I think definitely so. Not that it means anything.

Dang, even GE Smith? That chick got around! Sounds like she was quite the handful between what I read in Gene Wilder's autobio and now Martin Short's that I'm in the middle of reading... but at the same time one of the most amazing, charismatic and funny ladies in that whole scene.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
I saw it when it originally aired and taped it on VHS. I still have that tape.
The dinner with The Van Halen's skit was hilarious. Eddie started to laugh when Valarie started screaming about the Roadies.

Tom CT

Old Supporting Member
Platinum Supporting Member
The dinner with The Van Halen's skit was hilarious. Eddie started to laugh when Valarie started screaming about the Roadies.

If anyone can find a valid link to that sketch, I'd love to see it. NBC is vigilant about removing unlicensed YouTube postings. :(

leray1

I love watching G.E. play because he is good. I was sad that he wasn't shown more on the 40th anniversary special.

Rick Lee

I saw it when it originally aired and taped it on VHS. I still have that tape.

I also saw it then and taped it. I thought that sketch was ridiculous and didn't get it at all. Come to think of it, the last time I watched Letterman was Ed played with the band around that time too. There was another time around the Balance album.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom