EVH Phase 90 users out there...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Original_Fire, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I just picked one up on a trade off of the Harmony Central Emporium and man, I love this thing. I've yet to put it in my pedal chain and see how it reacts with all of my pedals, but so far I think it sounds killer. Any of you who use it have any gripes with it/love for it?

2. charless

charless Member

I really like mine a lot BUT is not true bypass and I don't like how a buffered pedal sounds in front of m OCD pedal so I ordered a Retro Sonic Phaser instead to replace the EXH Phase 90.

Great sound though if a little more intense than a classic Phase 90.

I am thinking of checking out the MXR '74 reissue with the Analogman TB mod.

3. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

I liked it, but same issue I have with most phasers, there's too much effected signal. I ran mine through an Xotic blender pedal to mix some clean signal in and was pleased with it.

Sold it off though.

4. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

Did you try running it after the OCD? I have a V2 OCD, and I usually run phasers after it, but would appreciate the input.

5. John Price

John Price Supporting Member

I love it for what it is! What I don't like is how it dulls out my original signal. But the pedal does have a certain mojo that no other phaser has. I just received the retro-sonic phaser and that one does sound good I wish it had a little more phase in the mix. As far as the original signal goes there's no signal loss what so ever.

6. charless

charless Member

After the OCD would sound better in terms of the OCD however I prefer the sound of a phaser in front of overdrive now .. used to run it after but actually that makes the phase even more pronounced and with EXH Phase 90 it already smothers the signal a bit much .. if you're going for that sound then fine but I still I've found I still have to put an EQ in my chain to fix the high end caused with buffered pedals and the OCD (before and after).

7. zachman

zachman Senior Member

I LOVE mine. It does EXACTLY what I want it to. I don't run it how most guys do, and so don't have to contend the true bypass dreams that others have.[​IMG]

8. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I prefer the Phase to be very pronounced whenever I'm using it (I don't go for the subtle approach with my effects these days) so that's very good to know. Thank you!

Verrrrry nice! :AOK

9. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Ive had two...
    The first was a horrible tone sucker when off, the second sounds fantastic on and off. I have mine in a TB looper.

10. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Thank you sir... :AOK

11. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

I really like mine I have had it for 2 years or so now, I place it after my Rat and I think it sounds really thick and fat after it.
    To my ears, I prefer it on slower settings my sweet spot is 10 o'clock. I know this might sound bad but I don't hear all that much difference with the button in or out. I think with it in it's a bit more subtle.

12. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

So far, I like it all over. Fast and slow alike. Yeah, that's what I really dig about it, is being able to make it more subtle in the script mode. But I love using it for it's lushness as well. Very few pedals can make me this giddy, and this one is definitely doing it lol.

13. WienerDog

WienerDog Supporting Member

It's a great pedal. And if you know what you're doing, you can tweak the internal trimmer to set the phase range where you want it. I set mine so that the peak of the phase sweep goes as high as possible. That gives it that treble-boosted sound from the early EVH tunes.

14. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I didn't know that there was even an internal trimpot in it. Where is it located?

15. Zero

Zero Member

I believe all of the Phase 90 RI's have the internal pots. Not hard to locate. I did the R28 mod to one of mine and messed with the pot. It was tricky. What I did was I hooked up the guts of the '90 to a guitar and amp so that i could strike chords and then twirl the pot to hear what sounded best.