1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

EVH pickup in a Alder body strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    I have an EVH from the customshop, and I was going to build a swamp ash/maple neck strat to put it in. But now I'm thinking of putting it in a strat I already have which is Alder/maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. How do you guys think this will work out? The two singles will still be APS-1's or 2's.

Anyone using an EVH in a guitar without an ash body or maple neck/board?

Thanks!

2. Tone

Tone Member

3. Roe

Roe Member

alder should work IMO

4. Tone

Tone Member

What about the maple/rosewood fingerboard neck?:RoCkIn

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

That should be fine too.

6. Tone

Tone Member

Any idea of how it might differ tonally compared to an all maple neck?

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Wasn't Eddie's first superstrat a 50s alder strat with a maple neck that he installed a Gibson humbucker into the bridge himself?

8. shoe

shoe Member

The rosewood board mellows things out a bit, IMO. Its not as ROCK and in your face as the maple/maple combo. If you want EVH, I wouldn't do a rosewood board.

Many people have said that the primary difference between rosewood and maple fingerboards is the feel. I have to disagree with that. There certainly is a difference in the tone.

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think rosewood is warmer sounding. Maple is a little clearer sounding. I think rosewood sustains a little longer because it weighs a little more. If you're a big Eddie fan you'd probably like maple.

10. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks guys!
    Yeah I'm eventually going to build one with an all maple neck, but I wanted to see if I could still get that EVH vibe with a maple/rosewood neck and alder body.

daddyo, I have no idea on that one. I've read that his VHll guitar was Alder, but i'm not 100% on that either.:JAM

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

If it was a late 50s strat, it was alder.