EVH pickup shootout

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by thorny, Mar 3, 2012.

1. thorny

thorny Member

I decided to do a little side by side pickup shootout of some of my favorite EVH style pickups. We have a Duncan 59 (A5) , EVH Frankenstein (A2 degaussed), Dimarzio Super Distortion (ceramic) and a Duncan Custom Custom (A2). There are other pickups that do this tone but this is what I had on hand. The guitars used were all strat style guitars with maple necks and alder bodies except the Custom Custom which is in a basswood body. The amp is a David Bray 4550 plexi and the cab is a 4x12 with Celestion Greenbacks. There are 5 clips of each pickup.
    Some pretty interesting results.. Let's hear your thoughts...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11482410&q=hi

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. djkal

djkal Member

This is a very interesting test congrat i like it ,, i think the evh frank sounds like the real deal pinch harmonic too, and im really impress how good the super dimarzio sounds it s kind of huge 3d like.

3. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I thought the EVH pickup was the fullest sounding and also closest to the real deal.
    I thought the Custom Custom was the clearest, with the most definition. A little less scratchy than the rest, if that makes any sense.
    I thought the super distortion sounded like ass. Way thinner and tin-ier than the other pickups.

4. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Why is the Dimarzio the only one drenched in reverb? The custom custom and EVH sound basically the same. The 59 has a little less mids but I think I actually like it best.

5. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

I would love to check this out, but the link isn't working for me(???).

Anyone else having this problem?

-Joe

6. thorny

thorny Member

Link has been updated. I had forgotten to pan the reverb on the Super Distortion portion of the clip. Sorry about that!

7. JiMB

JiMB Member

Cool clip.
    I like the Duncans. The Dimarzio has that extra sizzle/fuzziness which works for this too.

8. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Did you try a GFS EVH ? Pretty decent pup

9. prs1999

prs1999 Silver Supporting Member

Duncan 59 had the best open tone,without sounding too fizzy or over distorted.