EVH Striped Series - NGD and Review

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brad737, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Brad737

Brad737 Member

Hello all,

Yesterday, I fell into a totally unplanned New Guitar Day. I went to Guitar Center to pick up some pickguard screws, and just happened to see an EVH Striped Series guitar hanging in the used section. I'd never really had any interest in trying out these guitars, because I'd read online that the necks are super thin. Personally, I prefer necks on the chunky side, so I never bothered. I guess GC had the guitar in stock for awhile, because it was marked down off the used price. I figured I'd just try it out for a sec, confirm my suspicions, and hang it up again.

I have to say, for a cheap import, the Striped was really nice. The body is basswood, which has been Ed's favorite for quite sometime. I don't know if it's because he likes the tone, or because it increases the profit margin on his signature guitars. Basswood isn't my favorite tonewood by a long shot, but I don't hate it. It certainly doesn't get my panties in a bunch. The paintjob was what drew me to the guitar. The white body with black stripes looked amazing on the cover of Van Halen 1, and it looks great on this guitar.

The neck has a 1-11/16 inch wide nut, which I prefer. Older EVH signature guitars used 1-5/8, which is a little narrow for my tastes. The neck is a little thin from front to back, but nothing like what I'd read online. It's not nearly as thin as something like an Ibanez Wizard. To me, the profile feels almost exactly like the new EVH (not Peavey) Wolfgang. The big difference is the frets are nickel-silver medium jumbos, versus the vintage stainless steel frets on the new Wolfies. I have to say, I'm simply blown away by the fretwork. I don't know if the prior owner had them dressed, or they came like this, but the fret ends are perfectly rounded, perfectly level, and have no dead spots. With the oil finish, this is a FAST neck.

The Striped Series uses the EVH Wolfgang pickup. It's a pretty sizzling hot pickup. The Wolfie sounds awesome, especially with gain. Harmonics leap out of the guitar, and it sustains a long time. It also cleans up nicely with the volume knob.

The trem is a Floyd Rose 1000 with the EVH logo stamped into the baseplate. Supposedly, they're made overseas...Korea I think. But they say they use the same metals as the German made units that Schaller makes for Floyd. The prior owner had it set up to float, which rendered the D-Tuna useless. When I got it home, I slapped a big brass sustain block on it, set it flush, and set the intonation. It's perfect now.

All in all, I'm impressed with the Striped Series. Mine is an early one...serial number 00292. I paid a whopping $561 for it. Let me say this right now...IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THE EARLY EVH BROWN SOUND, THIS ISN'T IT!!! The basswood body, Floyd Rose trem, and Wolfgang pickup sound cool and modern, but Van Halen 1 it is not. I'd definitely prefer an ash body, vintage trem, and 9k-ish Alnico 2 pickup. However, for not much cash it plays great, sounds great, and looks great. It's a ton of fun.

Check 'em out!

[​IMG]

2. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Congrats on your score! I've got the Circles model and can attest to the fretwork being excellent right out of the gate. A really fun, fast guitar to play for sure. I love putting on VH backing tracks and playing along; great bedroom jamming fodder. :D

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

This is something I've noticed on TGP. If a neck isn't a baseball bat, inch-thick slab of wood with squared-off shoulders, it's "paper thin," "cramp inducing," or a "pencil neck." I've learned to take those descriptions with a large block of salt.

muzishun likes this.
  4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I have the black version and the neck is very good with high frets and a satin feel that has won me over to maple fretboards IF they are like that;)
    It's wide enough though I would go wider and thicker given a choice.

I HAD to install a neck pup though, currently a G&L s500 unit loaded with tuned pot impedance and treble bypass, to taste..
    Wobbly wang arm though, like most.

5. Kelly

Kelly Member

Cool. For the record, basswood isn't really any cheaper than alder or maple.

muzishun likes this.
  6. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Looks great for sure.

Are they Made in Mexico?

7. monty

monty Member

Yes they are.
    OP, nice NGD!

8. straycat113

straycat113 Member

All of Ed's sigs are basswood usually with a maple cap as that is the preferred wood of most shred style players and matched with great humbuckers is what John Suhr calls The Holy Grail of Tone! Everyone thinks basswood is cheap-not anymore. Since the age of the SuperStrat where everyone from Ed- Govan- Petrucci- Dimebag
    Vai-hell even James Burton has his Tele's made with it, as is Becks main Strat. So with so many guitars being made with it, like anything else the price went up. I personally love basswood as it is light, warm sounding and strong mids and is the best sounding wood to use with a Floyd.

Ed is like the LesPaul of his era, as he has always been heavily involved in the building of any gear with his name on it and has been a trial and era tinkerer from the get go. If you notice through history it is players who go against the grain that have great tones. I have read nothing but good reviews on the Striped guitars as well as the Circles model. Where are all the guys who said he was greedy, all about the money and didn't care about his fans now? I got a kick out of that when the new Wolfgangs first came out and were 3K or close to it. Meanwhile a ton of his peers who were nowhere as successful or transcend the realms of guitar players (sh!t my mother knows who Ed is and she's 90 lol and I'm serious" were selling their sigs for more money.

I love Ed and as far as innovators on the guitar go I put it like this -Hendrix was the Old Testament and Eddie the New.Though not my all time favorite player arguably the greatest rock guitarist in history. It is amazing how everyone looks at Hendrix and Eddie for their lead playing, but both were two of the greatest rhythm players ever!

I still own a few old EBMM EVH sigs and Peavey Wolfgang first year quilts and CS models that are brilliant guitars. I would just like to add I loved that interview that someone posted of him here on The GP as he looks healthier then ever and boy can he still tear it up.Scary that he just turned 60 and I know it will never happen, but I would love for him to do a solo album before everything is said and done.

Dr. Tweedbucket and Mud Dog I35 like this.
  9. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Gotta love the B&W striped guitars! Best looking replica of the bunch, IMHO! Also, change the pickup to a lower output PAF and I bet it gets VH1 all day (with the right amp/phaser/delay/reverb)!

[​IMG]

10. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Good score! Those play really nice. Feel a LOT like charvels, probably because they are all made in the same place.

11. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Definitely my favorite incarnation of the Frankenstrat, but I agree it needs an ash body, PAF style pickup, vintage trem, AND the proper CBS-style headstock.

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I'm gassing for either VH2 or a Circles version.
    Thanks for the review.

13. BuckshotJenkins

BuckshotJenkins Silver Supporting Member

I'd like the Circles, as it's not nearly as likely to be sniffed out as Ed's guitar like the other three models. I've said it before, but I'd like a simple plain color (white with direct mounted pickup would be superb), like the newer Kramer 84's have...just think I'd trust an EVH one a bit more. I can't shake the GAS for that configuration. Thanks, Ed.

14. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I'm with you. I played one of the red / white / black ones and I loved it. But I'm not in a VH tribute band, so I do not want to step out with a guitar that screams Van Halen.

The Circles versions seems the least connected to Eddie (cosmetically speaking), but would love find one that's just a plain single color.

15. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member