EVH Tone on a budget?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Trotter, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Is it possible? There's no way I can spring for a EVH 5150 III right now, but I'd love to get into some tone like on tracks: 'You Really Got Me', 'Eruption', 'Amsterdam' and 'Don't Tell Me'.

What clones are out there? I guess I'm just trying to find out whats out there that can nail the above tones.

thanks

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Wow somebody shoot me I'm a broken record. I saw an Egnater / Rocktron iE4 sell for $500 on eBay the other day. Crank channel 3 up all the way. Pure Brown Sound. Or just sign up for the Egnater Amp Build class and build your own. You didn't really say how much you wanted to spend?

Randall RM 50 head with a Brown module will get that job done too.

3. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

how about less then $1k

4. paulscape

paulscape Member

Use your Fargen and a dist/od if needed. Spend some cash on a good phaser, flanger, delay and verb. Stategic use of effects made up a big part of his tone imo.

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

The original Peavey 5150 amps are usually going for around $500 one EBAY.

6. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Zvex Nano amp into a 4X12, on the amplifier blueprinting site Myles wrote about being at a studio and hearing EVH wailing away, he walked in to take a look, and Eddie was playing one through a Marshall 4X12.

MikeY

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Go to BYOC.com and get an MXR dist+ clone and stick it infront of a Marshall.

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Supporting Member

WAIT!!!

You signature says you have "Vintage Marshall JMP's"...

Thats great because thats EVH tone for FREE!!!

Im serious...plug in, crank up and thats it!

You need a decent Strat with a decent PAFish bucker in it..add some MXR goodness (Phase 90 and a Flanger) then some echo (tape is best but even something like a Line 6 will get you close) and go for it.

If you're in a spot where you can't crank said JMP's then get a ZVEX Box of Rock and rol wioth that.

Don't forget the greenbacks!

9. JWR

JWR Member

I was gonna say that the old 5150 and 5150II (I like the II) version are fairly reasonable. Not really my cup of tea, but they are an excellent, excellent value. I think the 6505+ sounds "more marshally". Of course, a deal on a Marshall 2204 can still be had. Both of these are MV but what the heck. Also, there is the Ceriatone version of the non-mv Marshall.

10. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

You can't get the REAL tone for under 4000. The 5150III won't do it either. But if you are happy with the 5150 III tones, and would settle for that. Check evilbay for a 5150 or a jcm800. Next up, the Stage Hog, mini tube/pedal will be the next best bet. Last, check out a vintage dod 250 and MXR dist + and tweak.

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

12. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

dude you got Marshall JMP's....your almost there...like the guy earlier said...get the right strat with a humbucker in it......

Try goosing a JMP with a MI Audio Crunch Box......

13. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

14. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

My 1987xl (for sale by the way...) actually does a great EVH tone considering the player has some chops. I think most of "EVH" tone is having the fingers.

I find myself to getting pretty darn close to the tones. It also sounds great with a Hot Plate too.

But,

The one amp that I have played and owned that has just nailed VHII perfectly is the Mojave Peacemaker. Never owned the Scorpion but I would imagine that would nail it too. They are pricey through...

15. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I use a JCM800 1987, Schecter strat with handwound PAF Alnico IV Clones, with a T-Rex Alberta overdrive into a 4x12 with Chinese greenbacks and.. it's a close as i care to be botherd.

I've tried using Splawns and loads of boutique amps.. im closer with this setup. and it's all in the fingers anyway.

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Go to the metroamp forum they have an entire forum dedicated to copping the EVH tone.

In the end the consensus is Dimed plexi and an mxr dist + or mxr microboost. Although a couple guys got there with modded jcm 800's as well

So under a grand the quick answer would be ceriatone plexi or JCM 800 in a mojo head cab and a couple pedals. Then lots of practice

17. paulscape

paulscape Member

Eddie never spent much money on his tone - you needn't either. What is it about your Fargen miniplex and JTM that is not doing VH for you?

As I mentioned before so much of his unique tone was from his effects and the way he used them. Listen to his early stuff and you'll start hearing just how much a little click of a flanger, a swell of phasing during a solo and the ambience of tape echo units or donn landee's studio panned reverb creates his thing. He had an old plexi not a porsche. I dont believe it was some magical marshall either - the magic was in his fingers, musical phrasing, upbringing and dedication.

For a small amount of money you could buy a danelectro tape echo replica pedal, an MXR phase90, MXR flanger and a nice brown sounding humbucker and have money to spare to mod your current JTM or fargen for extra gain or buy a boost for it.

Ive listened to his early gazzari's and starwood bootlegs alot and often the tone is better than a bootleg recorded at one of their latest 2008 shows with better technology. The 5150's are not bad amps but I still think the old 4 hole marshalls cut through better and had a much less fizzy organic 'brown' sound. It was the effects and playing style that sizzled up his tone.

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

You just contradicted yourself there. An old vintage Marshall and presumably a decent vintage cab would easily cost 4000 for the head alone.

Now if you went a modern-vintage alternative: got a ptp SLP with weber pre rola clones or scumbacks with a marshall cab, that will still total about 3000.

19. paulscape

paulscape Member

Not trying to be contradictive, the threadstarter already has a jtm and plexi clone. If he's on a budget that obviously rules out real killer vintage gear. I was just making a suggestion to consider effects and modding in relation to existing equipment if tone is the quest.

20. bosstone

bosstone Member

David Bray, all the way. The best I have heard. Modded JTM45 reisisue and Marshall JCM 800 (2204).