EVH type guitars...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by John55, Jan 19, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

Guys, I need some here! My son is wanting something with the "modern" vibe and looks, and is taken with EVH's style of playing. I'm completely old school, play nothing but LPs with an occasional Strat thrown in for a change of pace.
    We've been 'net surfing and he seems to really like the looks and features of the old Music Man EVH guitars, as well as the newer Peavey Wolfgangs. Of the two mentioned, which is the better guitar overall? I've heard the Peaveys have a bigger neck, which he seems to like. But otherwise, we are in the dark! Any help/comments would be much appreciated!

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I can't help you with the higher end Wolfgangs, but I can tell you that there is an OLP-MM1 that I paid about 120 bucks for new that is absolutely a phenomenal guitar! It's one of the nicest playing cheap guitars I've ever owned, and sounds great.

I'm normally a Strat and LP guy, but still pick this cheapie up and play it quite often, especially when I'm basement jamming to VH. I wouldn't hesitate to gig with it, quality-wise.

3. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

I have a Wolfgang and they are outstanding guitars! There are some really good EBMM's out there, but overall I would go with a USA made Wolfgang. There are some decent 'special' model Wolfgangs that were made in Korea, however the QC was pretty crappy--Eddie didn't even want these made but Peavey went ahead and produced them to compete in the lower market end. Go to http://www.rockandrollweekend.com/index2.html or www.wolfgangregistry.com to get all kinds of info on Wolfgang guitars. If your son gets a Wolfgang standard, I have a feeling you might start playing that more than your LP. It has a really great woody tone, is very easy to play, and has some great sounding pickups.

As for which of the two guitars is better overall, I think most people like the wolfgangs better although it owes a lot of it's heritage to the EBMM. The EBMM guitar also has no tone knob, only 1 volume control, so that might be an issue if he wants to play anything other than VH music. On the current VH tour, Eddie plays Wolfgangs almost exclusively so that might give you an idea of what his favorite guitar is. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers!

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

To say that most people like the Wofgang better than the EBMM is ludicrious....The Peavey is a good guitar but the EBMM is steps ahead in quality and I've owned both. If I had to own just one the EBMM would win hands down....

If your an LP player the EBMM pickups are more classic sounding and can get a decent clean tone....the Wolfgang not so much.

5. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'm a little surprised that he's using Wolfgangs on his tour since him and Peavey sort of parted ways.

6. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I think on this tour he is using the Fender version of the Wolfgang...

7. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

The EBMM's blow the wolfgang away in terms of versaitility and QC.

That said the Wolfgangs are awesome guitars and have their place and are more in the LP range to me than the EBMM.

8. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Yeah, but you are not comparing apples to apples. All EBMM EVH guitars were hand made, so you should compare them quality-wise to the hand made wolfgangs which means compare them to the custom shop guitars. Obviously the lower level mass produced models are going to be different quality than the EBMM and Peavey hand-made models. To get a good picture, compare what a EBMM sells for compared to what a Wolfgang custom shop sells for and you will see what the market is willing to pay. The price for a wolfgang custom is almost always higher than an EBMM.

9. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually the Wolfgang neck isn't much bigger than the Axis neck; it is a bit "fatter" and it has a flatter radius, but they are both a "true" 1 5/8" (or 1.625") wide at the nut. Due to the radius and the depth the Wolfgang neck will feel a little bigger, but it will never be mistaken for an R9 Les Paul neck.

I've owned a Wolfgang; it was a USA carved top model. It was a fine guitar, but I'm basically a strat-type player so it went away years ago. As others have said EVH and Peavey parted ways at the end of 2004; Peavey makes the "HP Signature" which uses the same neck shape on a more Strat-shaped body (both carved top and flat top are available).

Personally I like the 1.625" wide neck; my current strat-type is an EBMM Silhouette Special with s/s/s pickups. If I were in the market for a flat-top humbucker guitar, I would go with the Axis; I like the EBMM neck a bit better than the Wolfgang.

Of course, although they didn't officially launch this week at NAMM, there will be a new Wolfgang from EVH Gear, which is his own brand made and distributed by Fender.

10. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

depending on how much you want to spend, a wolfgang special can be had for around $600 its a solid guitar and it will last....the EBs are a little pricey, but better.....or if you think this is just a phase, go w/ the OLP, and it will play just fine for a beginner too

actually i have a black wolfgang special that is in super condition that i may be willing to part w/ if you are interested.

just my 2 cents

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I Cannot agree more. The OLP is worth 8x what you pay for it. I had one that was just a really fantasic guitar. Grab one!!

12. John55

John55 Member

I think we'll likely go the Wolfgang route, a nice USA made version seems to be the place to start. The EBMMs are likely a better made guitar, being as they were handmade, but for now the Peavey should do fine.
    Thanks for everyone's comments, much appreciated!

13. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I'd go for the EBMM Axis. That's what became of the EVH model after EVH left EBMM. Still a better guitar than the Wolfgang (IMO!), but much more reasonably priced, without the signature. There's at least one or two in the Emporium right now.

14. Headstock

Headstock Member

No comparison. EBMM. Tons of good deals on eBay for used Axis models.

15. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Wow really? I saw a bunch of new EVH MM's back in the day, and don't remember seeing any that were crappy..

EVH isn't stable. The only thing he did by going to Peavey was take a cool looking guitar design, and make it ugly looking.

Jeff

16. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I also checked out MANY of the EBMM EVHs. Every one was as good as any guitar twice the price in those days. The necks were CNC cut so that every one felt JUST right!

The Wolfgang is a great guitar, too. Your son will be happy!

17. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Washed out poor quality quilts? Sorry.. I'm just not seeing this on my quit top EVHMM or any of the ones I've seen for sale. That wa$n't the rea$on EVH went to Peavey for hi$ guitar$.

EVH changed the body and headstock on the Wolfgang enough to make them really his design (Well maybe..) but also made both look worse. Glad you like it though.

EVH gets ticked off about a lot of things I don't get.. Nothing new there.

Jeff

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The EBMM quality is always excellent, no doubt. But the Peavey got a sleek, more sculpted look. I think it improved the looks.

19. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

I'm pretty sure I recall the story about Eds parting of the ways with Ernie Ball was over the speed of production...not enough guitars were getting out to the stores fast enough.

And that's something that Peavey has completely figured out. I was in the market for an EBMM back in 1997, and no local stores could get them for me...finally, a Peavey EVH showed up. I tried it on a whim.....never thought I'd ever buy anything with Peavey written on it again, but sure enough, I liked it.

Its a good guitar....fit and finish isn't up there with my Anderson, or Collings, but the neck has a nice feel, and the overall sound is pretty good. I like the location of the volume knob (makes swells pretty easy), but dislike the orientation of the pickup selecror switch. The worst thing about the guitar is probably the trem unit....it just has a cheap look about it.

Cheers

Kris