EVH VS NEAL SCHON

blood5150

Not taking his tan into account, Schon is one of the whitest guitar players ever.

I know my screen name shows where my teeth were cut... but this one is a landslide.

Fidel

I am old enough to have seen Eddie in clubs before he made it big. Even then, we knew, he was gonna hit it big. He was killing. Fresh and original. Never heard anything like it. And, they had great songs!

I love both players, but, Eddie is in a class by himself and is right up there with Hendrix and Clapton. Neil, is a world class player, has great chops and a beautiful sense of melody; but his influence is not as great as Eddies. After Eddie came out, the whole world begin playing like him. Strats with humbuckers, Floyd Roses, tapping, the whole bit. He changed guitar playing, like Hendrix and Clapton did.

Bankston

In one fell swoop Schon shows what he about. Schnoz probably can't read well -
DLR often compared how rocking Journey was live to their records. That's the smack
he was laying down. He commented that VH records rocked - and then they took it up
a ton of notches live. He wondered why Journey didn't do the same thing.

Blown away? Hardly ...and they weren't breaking attendance records anywhere.
Queen was, VH did in a few locations. The Stones did. Journey...not so much.

I seem to remember Journey packed out some stadiums during the Frontiers tour.

At any rate, there really isn't much comparison between Ed and Neal, imo.
Totally different players. I like them both for different reasons. If the question is, who is the better player or who had a bigger impact, there's no rational argument to be made for Schon. EVH all the way.

Misterbulbous

From like 30 years ago.
:facepalm

Yeah, I meant to post the publish date. If I recall it was GuitarWorld Magazine 1982. "Neal Schon Mouths Off".

I'm not partaking in the pot shots, just posting an interesting series of comments from Neal.

Last edited:

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
If the question is, who is the better player or who had a bigger impact, there's no rational argument to be made for Schon. EVH all the way.

Bigger impact? No question.

Better player? COMPLETELY subjective at best.

I grew up with both and LOVE both, but I'll say this: EVH is a one-of-a-kind, damn near completely original animal, which is awesome, BUT, Neal is right at home with either his own pop-rock band, or a hard rock + ballad infused project, and is also at home sitting in at a blues jam, and has also done a few new-age inspired releases as well. EVH is not as well rounded, IMO.

Now, as big of a fan of Neal's as I am, even I will admit that those jazzy/new age releases are basically just pieces that are in that style, with Neal being Neal all over them, so, not much of a stretch there, IMO.

Still, that's a little more versatile and more of a complete player than what EVH has done in his time, and that's okay, and not a problem, they are just different.

I'm glad we have both, I owe a lot of my repertoire to the both of them, probably equally as much. They are both monsters, and EVH changed the entire game, in the biggest way possible.

Bankston

I think Ed would be just as "at home" in a blues jam. He's got a lot of experience covering blues tunes from his youth and a lot of his stuff is blues-based anyway. And remember Ed changed his style to fit into a more pop oriented approach when Hagar joined the band. He's capable of pure melodic playing just as Neal is.

And then there's stuff like Finish What Ya Started, etc., which showcase his versatility.

With Ed's chops and dexterity, I'm pretty sure he's capable of playing just about any style of guitar he sets his mind to.

Both are great players for sure!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I think Ed would be just as "at home" in a blues jam. He's got a lot of experience covering blues tunes from his youth and a lot of his stuff is blues-based anyway. And remember Ed changed his style to fit into a more pop oriented approach when Hagar joined the band. He's capable of pure melodic playing just as Neal is.

And then there's stuff like Finish What Ya Started, etc.

With Ed's chops and dexterity, I'm pretty sure he's capable of playing just about any style of guitar he sets his mind to.

Both are great players for sure!

Definitely. I wish he could branch out a bit, he sounds like he's on autopilot the couple few years, he need some challenge!

frickengruvin

Gold Supporting Member
EVH and Schon are both great players, obviously in different ways. Six pages in and no one has said anything about their bands....EVH was a one headed monster who basically steered the VH ship, while Schon played with a group of stand out musicians who all had an impact (excluding Ross Valory)....
That will definitely have an effect on the impact a great guitarist will bring. Schon is well known to have complained about the swing from the band's progressive roots to "pop", which limited his playing to a degree...Pop brought the money, so he caved...Those early Journey releases, in my opinon, through Gregg Rolie's tenure, were stand out releases, very well rounded and great from beginning to end.

VH's timing of breaking into the music world was impeccable...They brought some great, rocking tunes that were relatively short in duration, something that was out of the ordinary at that time...Rock "n" roll was going through it's "fat Elvis" period of long, drawn out tunes...They brought the fire back into rock when they arrived...

Something to else to consider....Journey never released a cover tune (that I am aware of), and while EVH definitely put his stamp on the VH covers, that indicates they were lacking in available originals...Definitely not a "dig" on them as their covers were awesome for the most part, but another consideration nevertheless...

All that can be said of this topic is, these two didn't play the same kind of music, and they are both iconic musicians...

Papanate

EVH was a one headed monster who basically steered the VH ship, ..

Wrong. Without DLR's sense of melody, lyrics and style Van Halen would
have never succeeded. Without Michael Anthony's incredible backing
vocals - DLR songs would have never taken off.

EVH influenced guitar players world wide - but DLR and MA brought
the world with them - and the money. Guitar players don't bring anyone
but guitar players with them. Look at Steve Vai.
The general public listens to the songs - and as DLR famously said...they go get
beers during the lead guitar breaks.

JDutch

This is a troll thread, right? Regardless of whether you like EVH's music or playing style, he was a game changer in the way only a few greats have been.

Journey's music is, and continues to be, horrible. Even thinking about Journey's music makes me instinctively reach for the radio knobs, even if I'm nowhere near a car. I, however, do acknowledge Journey's contributions to druken, badly sung karaoke.

suckamc

Not even close. One is the most rock n roll thing that ever crashed onto this planet and the other was the very thing that made a good smashing so very necessary. Even at the very thing the latter guy did best (his melodic sense), I'd take the former guy. Crazy thread. This ain't apples and oranges; this is EVH and an orange.

ned7flat5

Journey

Van Halen

As Art said in last week's episode of Justified " “that’s pretty high on the list of the things I wish I’d never seen”),

DamianL

All that really serves to show is that the 80's were just as awful as I remember them to be.

D

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
I was wondering this, as well. EVH is Dutch, so I'm not sure if the Dutch eat a lot of omelettes. Neal Schon is from the Bay Area, and we have lots of diners. Maybe he worked in a diner and honed his omelette skills.

We could get into the whole L.A. vs. SF Mexican food discussion and put money down on which one of them makes the best Menudo. I'm betting EVH does.

Wasn't NS on the road with Carlos when he (NS) was 16 or 17? Thus, probably didn't have a lot of time to hone his cooking skills. So I am not sure if he has that edge over Eddie or not.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom