EVH w/ a GoPro

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Tony, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

A bird's-eye view of several of Ed's signature riffs via a couple Go-Pro cameras... pretty damn cool to see things from his perspective. Now if only I could play this stuff.

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice...Ed tones!

He still has it.

S.
    j

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yep.
    Still sounds like him.
    Heck, might even have to go check one of those out.

4. Boston617

Boston617 Member

I was just about to post this. Real cool video. As I live in an apartment complex, I can't have one of the real beasts, but the 1X12 is certainly in my future for later this year.

5. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

****ing awesome -- that amp looks sick. Ed's playing sounds as great as ever.

6. Ethn Hayabusa

Ethn Hayabusa Member

Very cool. It makes me so happy to see him healthy.

7. Mookyshoots

Mookyshoots Supporting Member

Agreed. After watching the Smithsonian video, it seems like he's finally found some peace in his life. Hopefully, it sticks for good this time.

Also, it's nice to hear him actually getting out in front of the EVH brand as it's mouthpiece. Think of how much gear this guy can still sell by doing a simple promo video? There will be a sales spike from it. Great to see.

8. frickengruvin

frickengruvin Supporting Member

He's just a badass...I remember him guest appearing on Two and a Half Men (with Charlie Sheen), and he had something strapped on that amplified his sound...Jesus his chops are other worldly...

9. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

He's one of those guys that just makes an absurdly precisioned task seem effortless.

It's like watching a naturally talented athlete. It just seems so fluid and graceful it makes you think- "That's all it is? I could do that." Not in a arrogant way. But it in a way that tricks your brain into thinking it should be something every person should be able to do as gracefully as walking. They make it look natural.

The you try....

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Related but slightly off topic:

Did EVH ever perform "Spanish Fly" live or again? I only ask because the ascending legato 32nd runs (before the tapping) are like inhumanely fast.

Even the Paul Gilbert video of him playing it doesn't seem as fast as the VH II album cut (it might be and my mind is playig tricks on me). I mean it's close. But seems more like 150 BPM than the 165 of the VH II track.

I'm not suggesting any ******** like it was speed up or anything. Just wondering if that was a one off. Because nothing else he played was as fast as those smooth legato 32nd notes (at 165 BPM!!). I'm wondering if that was the top limit of his speed. As again, he never really played nothing approaching that fast before or after.

11. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

yay Eddie! Like others here have said, it makes me so happy to see him with some clarity. He absolutely killed on the 2012 tour, and this shows that he's still capable of non-chalantly playing licks that I still can't play after 30 years (Hang em High). Looks like he has the rig ready to go. I heard Wolfie is working on an album, maybe he is adding some guitar to it.

12. Boston617

Boston617 Member

The complete "Spanish Fly", not to my knowledge. He's played bits & pieces of it during his solos, though. Namely the harmonic tapping intro & the Eruption-esque middle piece.

13. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

14. MrX

MrX Member

Very cool.

15. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Lol. Let me save you some trouble....

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1460452

16. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you have to film/photograph tubes to get that blue/purple look at 25 seconds? I've also never seen power tubes pulsate like that! :omg

17. suckamc

suckamc Member

A creative giant with as great a sense of melody as any player ever! So great to hear him still kill that thing.

18. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I will preface this post by saying I have a huge amount of respect for EVH even though I'm not a huge fan of his music or tone... But! I love the fact that (to me) it's never felt like he was just trying to peddle gear. He has always seemed like he cared very much about what he was putting his name on. I also dig the fact that his gear isn't just some blatant derivative of something else. The Wolfgang (Peavey or Fender as I have never played the Ernie Ball version) is one of my favorite guitars out there when it comes to tone and playability. It's pretty much everything I dislike in a guitar (small frets, compound radius, Floyd Rose, humbuckers now days) but somehow he found a secret formula.

19. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Cool clip. Love the shoes :D

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

That's a great video! So well done and informative, nice way to demo an amp, done by the master! I love that guy.