EVH was an eventual dead-end for electric guitar technique.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DigiPOV, Sep 27, 2018.

1. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Here's what's wrong with the OP:

All of it.

I can't even....

Vaifan likes this.
  2. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Dude.

This has NOTHING to do with EVH. This is Stanley Jordan almost verbatim.

tribalfusion likes this.
  3. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

This is the biggest clickbait I've seen yet on TGP.

4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Somehow Tosin didn't mention Stanley...

(I could easily believe that he was an influence too though - not binary or mutually exclusive.)

5. 1967SG

1967SG Member

I think 2HB got that covered.:D:D:D

6. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Sometimes players like to obscure influences they have lifted very heavily from.

Its obvious that the tapped chords were done first by Jordan, and that EVH never tapped chords. Satriani's song Midnight is also all tapped chords, thats from 86 I believe. Maybe Tosin feels he got the tapped chord ideas from Satriani. Or maybe he invented them in a vaccum and doesn't know about Jordan.

7. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

Like Malmsteen with DiMeola and Uli Jon Roth
    He never mentions them as influences, and I believe it’s obvious

tribalfusion likes this.
  8. guitarbilly74

Come on... This thread...

There are tons of modern players influenced by EVH out there.. Pete Thorn, Phil X, Rappaport, etc...

Heck even guys like John Mayer and Brad Paisley recognize EVHs influence when they venture into rock..

Not to mention every city with a decent music scene has at least one VH tribute band actively gigging.

And then there's the man himself... If VH goes on tour now that's a sold out arena tour for sure.
    Yngwie plays theaters, on a good day.

There's no comparison. I don't know wtf planet the OP is in...

Vaifan likes this.
  9. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Forget the solos, after playing for more than 20 years what I appreciate most about him is his rhythm playing. He certainly knew how to play in the pocket.

10. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Every guy you mentioned is North American and in his 40s if not his 50s. Eddie definitely had a HUGE influence then and on North American people.

However the rest of the world and certainly the bulk of the heavy metal worlds which don't primarily reside in the US anymore are full of 20 and 30 year olds who swear by Yngwie, Vai and Petrucci far more than they do Eddie.

Go to Wacken, Hellfest, Loud Park in Tokyo, shows in Rio or Moscow and get back to me on what you see.

Go on metalguitar or sevenstring, the main heavy guitar forums with younger people and see who comes up over and over.

1967SG likes this.
  11. Flatscan

@DigiPOV thank you for making my point. I'm glad that we agree that EVH's style is not a "dead end" and that it's actually quite extensible. The names that you mention are all worthwhile in this context (looking back/looking forward).

Whether it's music, film, or scientific discovery, influences/techniques are rarely born in a vacuum and are frequently if not typically discovered by a few or even many in close proximity in time.

Google CRISPR and litigation as a very recent example.

12. guitarbilly74

Yeah VH is not and never was, metal.
    Your point?

BriSol and Flatscan like this.
  13. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I made it several times. The biggest guitar dominant genre in the world is metal (Van Halen used to be considered metal too anyway) and those guys care far more about Yngwie Vai and Petrucci these days than they do Van Halen around the world

It's basically some North American people in their 40s and beyond think the whole world of hard and heavy guitar revolves around Van Halen.

The younger generation and especially the rest of the world which is WAY more significant for rock and metal than the US is now doesn't agree with you as to Van Halen and his importance in contemporary heavy rock guitar.

14. 1967SG

1967SG Member

You may know this artist. Tell me what you would consider his influences.

tribalfusion likes this.
  15. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Of course I know Nick who again, is North American (no coincidence) and his influences are Yngwie, Eddie, Vai, Beck and SRV. I've seen him live actually and chatted a bit.

No one said Eddie left no impact whatsoever of course but again heavy rock guitar mostly lives on outside of North America and is heavily dominated by Yngwie, Vai and Petrucci as influences from the 'older' guys on younger guys

1967SG likes this.
  16. 1967SG

1967SG Member

Cool, good live band? I consider VH metal back in the 70's that turned popish later with Sammy. Nothing wrong with that.

17. Flatscan

Van Halen.made heavy pop (maybe even dark pop on occasion). They had fans who liked metal too.

No one confused them with BS, Maiden, Priest, etc.

Ever see EVH scowl at the audience or look angry (excluding looks at singers)? He was and is still frequently smiling and looking happy.

Lots and lots of songs outside of dark, brooding keys - especially after the first record...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  18. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

I agree with the OP and have noticed the people disagreeing not adding anything as to why they have their opinion. But, I know how possessive people get with their idols so it is not a surprise. I got VHI when it came out and I wasn't playing guitar seriously yet, but was blown away by that first LP. Then they just kept putting out the same stuff until 1984. They, as a group, didn't grow as songwriters which may be why few people try to emulate them.

19. guitarbilly74

Haha. No. Aside from festivals, which requires 30 bands to make enough audience, most of these metal bands play theaters at the most. And even these festivals wouldn't work if they don't have an older band like Priest, Maiden, Metallica etc to headline each night.

As for VH not being popular outside of North America, that was a deliberate choice in their part by focusing 80% on their touring in the US even in their heyday. Read Hagar's book if you want to, VH always did so exceedingly well here they never cared about developing other markets.

20. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

They don't play theaters at most; you're painfully misinformed.

Opeth plays to 5000 people. Nightwish just played the Mexico City arena as headliners.

All the big festivals are in Europe drawing huge numbers for heavy guitar. Again, unlike the US

Another clueless out of touch North American who doesn't recognize the world outside his borders.

Hate to tell you that heavy music in Europe , Asia and Latin America is much more popular than in the US and bands like Van Halen barely made a dent in that at their peak much less in 2018

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    thesjkexperienc likes this.