• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

EVH - which songs didn't feature his Frankenstrat

MBreinin

Silver Supporting Member
Drop Dead Legs was the Korina V.

Anything that does not have trem on VH1 is the Destroyer, like Runnin with the Devil.

Top Jimmy is the Kramer Ripley.

Push Comes to Shove features a Strat on the rhythm parts.

Little Guitars is, well, a little LP style guitar.

Spanish Fly, obviously a nylon string acoustic.

In a Simple Rhyme is a 12 string electric, possibly a Kramer.

I have read that the slide parts on Dirty Movies was a LP Jr. with the horn cut off, not sure.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Runnin' with the Devil: 1975 Ibanez Destroyer
You Really Got Me: 1975 Ibanez Destroyer
Jamie's Cryin': 1975 Ibanez Destroyer
On Fire: 1975 Ibanez Destroyer
Dance the Night Away: Ibanez Destroyer, Frankenstein for second guitar
Outta Love Again: Ibanez Destroyer
Light up the Sky: Rhythm = Destroyer; Lead = Frank
Spanish Fly: Ovation nylon acoustic
Top Jimmy - Ripley
Drop Dead Legs - Flying V
Hot For Teacher - Flying V

smv929

Until recently, I was always under the impression he used his Frankenstein guitar for almost everything, especially VH 1 and 2. Anyone know why he felt the need to record with other guitars?

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Until recently, I was always under the impression he used his Frankenstein guitar for almost everything, especially VH 1 and 2. Anyone know why he felt the need to record with other guitars?
a lot of people with “signature” guitars or amps used many different things in the studio.

Keith with Micawber, Billy with Pearly Gates, Gilmour playing teles and Les Pauls, etc etc

I think marketing and live performances created certain expectations that a guy played THAT guitar all the time, especially back when access to information was much more limited.

Boston617

5150 & OU812 were almost all Kramer, save for the regular strat & TransTrem tunes.

Carnal Knowledge was almost all the Music Man prototype. Exception being Judgement Day, which was the last song recorded with the original Kramer 5150.

Balance was all Music Man.

smv929

Probably because they sounded better than the Franky for those songs he chose to used other guitars..:bonk
Gosh! You think?

I was looking for reasons Ed might have stated as to why he chose those guitars; what they offered that his #1 lacked.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Gosh! You think?

I was looking for reasons Ed might have stated as to why he chose those guitars; what they offered that his #1 lacked.
I don't think it was a such a strong #1 the time, he used the Ibanez Destroyer quite a bit live too back then. The Destroyer with the shorter scale and Might Mite Super Distortion clone was probably a tad punchier sounding, who knows :bonk

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
yes I remember reading this about the 5150 Kramer, I thought he said it was pretty worn out from all the playing/ tours.
My question is was Frankie used after 1984 recording?
I don’t remember reading much about it, saw pics of it but don’t remember hearing about it used.
I think recently I just read that he used the V on a bunch of 1984 tracks... didn’t know that

Exception being Judgement Day, which was the last song recorded with the original Kramer 5150.

Trending Topics