• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

EVH - which songs didn't feature his Frankenstrat

Jump was a synth

wakka wakka

But seriously it’s interesting to learn about some of these different guitars. I remember freaking out when I realized Another Brick in the Wall solo was an LP, the ultimate strat tone!

It’s so weird to see pics of Ed with a LP or other guitar on him.

Ampedusa

Here’s a interesting article about some of Ed’s guitars. I knew Dan Martin, he liked me (probably because I bought a bunch of stuff from him) and knew I was a huge Van Halen fan so he let me hold the V before he took it to Ed. I had no idea until many years later that he used it on some of my favorite songs. Dan proceeded to sell Ed a bunch of guitars after that. The Steinberger’s, the Strat he used on Finish What Ya Started, the 12 string used on Cabo Wabo. He had a side piece about him and the guitars in Guitar World which it shows in this article.

G34RSLU7

sweet thread! anyone know what guitar was on "where have all the good times gone?" i guess it was frankie?

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
He used a Strat on the song 5150, Flying V on Top Of The World . Telescaster on Runaround .

Lump

I don't think it was a such a strong #1 the time, he used the Ibanez Destroyer quite a bit live too back then. The Destroyer with the shorter scale and Might Mite Super Distortion clone was probably a tad punchier sounding, who knows :bonk
I think that up until he switched to music man his favorite guitar tones were from the Korina ibanez destroyer. I seem to remember an article where he praised its sound, and how he thought the trem guitar was thinner. He used it for most stuff that didn't require the trem. I think he was quoted as saying how he'd killed the destroyer when he chainsawed for the photo shoot. I think him borrowing Chris Holmes destroyer for the subsequent album illustrates how much he liked it.

Now after he switched to music man is probably a different story. Once you get to have a company make anything you can dream up, I'd assume you get exactly what you wanted.

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Platinum Supporting Member
Until recently, I was always under the impression he used his Frankenstein guitar for almost everything, especially VH 1 and 2. Anyone know why he felt the need to record with other guitars?
Gosh! You think?

I was looking for reasons Ed might have stated as to why he chose those guitars; what they offered that his #1 lacked.
I don't think it was a such a strong #1 the time, he used the Ibanez Destroyer quite a bit live too back then. The Destroyer with the shorter scale and Might Mite Super Distortion clone was probably a tad punchier sounding, who knows :bonk
Yes, I don't think 'Frankie' became his #1 at least live/ as far as image is concerned until 81+ (after the Floyd Rose, which changed his style also), prior to that he seemed to use anything, but live he really seemed to like the shark/star/dragon up until that point. Having spent much time in recording studios, I can tell you for sure, what artist are known for playing (image) and what they actually record with, don't always line up, and it's almost an unassailable task convincing fans otherwise..

Guitar Stories: Eddie Van Halen’s Ibanez Destroyer

LR1400

That's killer. Sounds just like it.

I should clarify, it many places it sounds like multiple type tones. The two main songs that don't sound Plexi to me are: Amsterdam and Baluchatherium.

Take me Back sounds Plexi.

Last edited:

Trending Topics