EVH wolfgang isn't really what EVH plays

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kselbee, Apr 3, 2015.

1. kselbee

kselbee Member

I noticed that his bridge is chrome and the stealth has a black bridge. Also, his has the momentary button... but has anyone ever seen him use it? Anyway, just wondering if they might update to be more accurate?

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

He used the kill switch on the Jimmy Kimmel show Tuesday.

3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Yup, on You Really Got Me.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

many of the signature guitars of any manufacture are not 'exact' replicas.

5. Zakko

Zakko Member

Probably Titanium Floyd with a cheap radio-shack button soldered in the output circuit.

6. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

I'm sure it feels the same. Neck and body

7. c_mac

c_mac Member

Wasn't EVH playing that particular guitar for quite a while before the Stealth model actually became available?

8. Neo

Neo Member

I'm wondering if his live guitar has an all basswood body. He used the same guitar on their 2012 tour and his tone was so much warmer, rounder and easier on the ears than any of the harsh sounding maple topped Wolfgangs I heard or played.

9. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Eddie is changing stuff all the time. The guy constantly tinkers, adds stuff, and road tests it on tour, so I'm guessing a killswitch will be on the next incarnation. And as far as how his sounds different, get out the pitchforks, cause I'm gonna say a lot of tone is in his fingers....

10. monty

monty Member

He uses that kill button on every solo spot I've seen on the recent tours. I cant really see them putting it on a regular production model though, aside from some die-hards I don't think there would be that much demand for it.

11. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

I am actually going to have a kill switch installed on my Charvel. I love the fact I can get mid position strat tones with the middle position, but I need that kill switch for YRGM and Cold Gin.

12. Neo

Neo Member

Usually I'd agree but on their 2012 tour Eddie at one point would switch to a Frankenstrat replica for a song or two and his tone lost that LP-like roundness I heard when he played the Stealth Wolfie. The difference in tone was startling and eye opening. The Frankenstrat sounded flat and one dimensional in comparison to the Stealth.

13. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Hm. I wonder if the amps were set for the stealth and for some reason they weren't dialed in for the strat?

14. ken374

ken374 Member

Stealth maple top!

15. kselbee

kselbee Member

I definitely noticed a difference in tone as well and wondered about that. I thought maybe he was playing one of the cheaper striped series or something.

16. Neo

Neo Member

Could be, but I think the stealth's carved top and the increased neck angle results in a guitar with more complex mids than a flat top-think SG vs LP.

Either way, I think Eddies's sobriety has resulted in the most flawless, fiery, inspired playing of his career. Compare his Kimmel show performances to anything pre 2012 and you'll be surprised at how sloppy (no doubt alchohol fueled) he used to be.

His current live tone IMO surpasses and outclasses anything he recorded as well, it's the first time I can actually hear it resemble the "brown sound." Listen to isolated guitar tracks (youtube it) from the first album and you'll hear how hot and bright the old tone was-to me it seemed be more of a red sound if that makes sense .

17. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I think he sounds fantastic as well. I think the ebony board may add some of that snap that adds to the brown sound? Kinda rounds out the weight of the body?

18. Neo

Neo Member

I'm not sure how much the ebony board contributes to the sound, but I remember reading that Eddie instantly fell in love with it. Maybe the slickness of ebony makes tapping easier for him?

If you believe what some guitar builders say about ebony fingerboards, the quickness of its attack leads to less overtones making for clearer, articulate sounding distorted chords. That's what I hear with Evh's current rig. That meaty, low mid growl you hear in the Kimmel show performance is exactly the guitar tone I heard on VH's most recent tour.

19. 73watermutt

73watermutt Member

I remember hearing that Eddie said he can hear a difference in tone from the chrome floyds to the black ones. So he had his switched to chrome. He also had the kill switch added to his main EVH stealth.

20. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I can't believe I was in the dark about this performance. Thanks for the thread - led me to the YouTube Kimmel clips. Damn - Ed looks great, and his playing is perfect and so relaxed - puts a smile on my face. :)

HOW THE HELL DOES HE GET THAT PERFECTLY BALANCED EFFORTLESS PLAYABILITY TONE!!!